Opiate Video (aka curveball)

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Opiate Video (aka curveball)

Post by hellboy »

With this being all but confirmed as happening, I thought it probably deserved its own thread. Adam was quoted at the recent Q&A in Tempe as saying the Opiate video was directed by Dominic Hailstone and can be expected by the end of the year. Apparently the track has been re-recorded and will be the extended version played recently on tour.

Here's an example of some of Dominic's work:

aenimal
Fanboi

Re: Opiate Video (aka curveball)

Post by aenimal »

With the pics and videos of them with Joe Barresi earlier this year, and that pic of Danny with Bob Ludwig, I'm guessing there might be a CD companion with it, as well as some other bits and pieces of new music...hopefully...
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

A video for a 23 year old song, rerecorded or not, sounds like a giant waste of time. I don't understand the thinking behind this band at all.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

aenimal wrote:With the pics and videos of them with Joe Barresi earlier this year, and that pic of Danny with Bob Ludwig, I'm guessing there might be a CD companion with it, as well as some other bits and pieces of new music...hopefully...
Extremely unlikely. They just did the opiate reissue, which was a waste of time and energy anyways. No reason to have yet another opiate CD.
munchieswolf
Bronco's Fan

Post by munchieswolf »

fortysixand2 wrote:A video for a 23 year old song, rerecorded or not, sounds like a giant waste of time. I don't understand the thinking behind this band at all.
$$$

They just made a quarter-million to not answer a single question about the new record.
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

The eel video is pretty rad.

Wish they would have done a video for Rosetta Stoned or Wings.

Opiate video: $19.99-$24.99.

$__$
From bearded clam cums bearded jam
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

fortysixand2 wrote:A video for a 23 year old song, rerecorded or not, sounds like a giant waste of time. I don't understand the thinking behind this band at all.
Yeah, well I get that some are pretty frustrated with a lack of progress on the album, but this just sounds like sour grapes. I think it's safe to say what everyone here would rather is a new album sitting their hands, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

Personally, I don't think it's a waste of time. Tool are a very visual band - spending a significant part of their energy on a visual project seems completely inline with what they are trying to achieve as artists. That it's been done for an old track rather than a new one is really not a big deal for me.
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
aenimal wrote:With the pics and videos of them with Joe Barresi earlier this year, and that pic of Danny with Bob Ludwig, I'm guessing there might be a CD companion with it, as well as some other bits and pieces of new music...hopefully...
Extremely unlikely. They just did the opiate reissue, which was a waste of time and energy anyways. No reason to have yet another opiate CD.
I completely disagree with you on releasing a cd! I would love to have that reworked Opiate song on cd. I honestly could care less about a video. Don't get me wrong I will buy and watch the video but I have only watched the Vicarious video maybe 3 times. If that Opaite song is on cd I will listen the shit out of it. Hopefully they throw us a bone and put some other tracks out with it, that's if they do come out with a cd/dvd thing.
DinosaurAct86
My pain is just an excuse

Post by DinosaurAct86 »

That Eel video is fucking terrifying. The Opiate video should be great! I wonder if Adam contributed any design to the video, or if he gave Dominic Hailstone creative freedom?
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

I wonder whatever happened to the video for "The Pot."
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

nxrm wrote:I wonder whatever happened to the video for "The Pot."
i believe there was a mention about it being held onto for use on the New Album rather than The Pot.

Can anyone confirm this?
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
i believe there was a mention about it being held onto for use on the New Album rather than The Pot.

Can anyone confirm this?
Ah, okay...I can see that happening. Thanks!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:i believe there was a mention about it being held onto for use on the New Album rather than The Pot.

Can anyone confirm this?
I think there was an assumption that the video was made for The Pot, and I don't think this was officially confirmed at all. My guess is that the footage used for what we thought was The Pot (basically that severed arm shot) is the same as what will appear for Opiate.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

^There was a blog post some time ago that mentioned a Guitar World interview with Adam. It was supposedly in that interview where Adam mentions "The Pot" video, and being lazy.

I didn't read the interview, and I don't know if it actually exists, so maybe it never really happened.

Edit: Found it - March 2009: http://www.fourtheye.net/2009/03/the-pot-video-details/
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

So, err...yeah. Opiate video???

<looks around>

<doesn't find anything>

:roll:
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Are you surprised in any way?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I forgot this was a thing, but now that it didn't happen I'm angry. :mad:
Don't mow your lawn
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Why does tool bother telling us about things? Like why would adam or blair even bring up the opiate video? They know it's not getting released soon. And if they do mention it, why give a time? "End of the year." ... just pisses off their fans lol
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Because when they don't people bitch about them not telling us shit.
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Because when they don't people bitch about them not telling us shit.
To me, this is preferable. We're going to bitch regardless, but better to not get hopes up.

Under promise, over deliver. Tool has yet to give this a try.
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I don't really care either way, but it does get kind of annoying when people complain about them not telling us shit then they tell us something and everybody's like "Why do they even bother telling us shit?!"

Besides the year ended only 2 days ago. It hasn't exactly been 6 months. That tour seems to have come about pretty quickly. It's not hard to believe that threw off the time frame for the Opiate video. Or maybe they're planning to debut it as part of their live display on this tour.
Don't mow your lawn
Positiveemotions
Maynard Believer

Post by Positiveemotions »

Does anyone know the time of microphone Maynard used in this video? I want to know the type of sound used in the video.
aphex0
Bronco's Fan

Post by aphex0 »

They did debut the schism video at the Lateralus release show - it was around midnight too (halfway through the show) latest Tool show I have ever seen (they stopped around 1am)
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

Adam said the Opiate video is now in the hands of the editor and that he (Adam) was relatively hands off in the making of this video.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Positiveemotions wrote:Does anyone know the time of microphone Maynard used in this video? I want to know the type of sound used in the video.
Can't say for this specific video, but here's some information I found regarding his microphones from 2003: https://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=9058

With Tool
- Audix OM-6

With A Perfect Circle
- Beta 57A
- Beta 87 on a radio system (large venues)

Here's another article you may find worth checking out as well: http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index ... azine.html