An open letter to Tool regarding concerts and presales

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

An open letter to Tool regarding concerts and presales

Post by hellboy »

I wrote an open letter to Tool today regarding pre-sales Feel free to have a read and leave comments!

http://www.fourtheye.net/2017/03/open-l ... -presales/

Dear Tool,

There is a big problem with ticket sales. The clusterfuck of disappointment for many in today’s sales are nothing new – it happens again and again during concert sales, particularly the large centres and frankly Tool fans are well and truly sick of it.

Yes, there are many well established problems with the way Ticketmaster and Stubhub work. Problems with there providers seem to be hard ones for established acts to avoid. This letter is not about appealing to you to solve these problems (though I expect many Tool fans would be more than happy to see their favorite band stand up to the ticketing agents).

The real problem here is a lack of meaningful presales.

I can’t remember the last time there was a Tool presale that fans were actually happy with.

Tool fans complain a lot – we all know this. But in regards to tours, most of us agree that there are plenty reason to be aggrieved.

The current system of presales only available to Toolarmy members, and only for $500 VIP tickets is nothing but an affirmation that Tool consider their fans to be cash cows.

Under the current system, you pay $50 per year for the “benefit” of buying $500 VIP passes to concerts. VIP passes which are also available to the public, and in all but the largest of towns (Chicago being the only one sold out at time of writing) have relateively low levels of demand – so long as you don’t leave it until the last minute to buy a VIP pass, Toolarmy membership is not required.

There are no other meaningful benefits of being a Toolarmy member at this time. Sure you get a shirt, a keychain and some other widgets, but I think most fans are not so motivated by yet more merchandise.

I would assert that for $50 per year, it is not unreasonable for fans to expect that presales could include non-VIP tickets. Hell, many of Tool’s peers – Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead for example – run fan presales completely free. No need to pay money to join a club for access to these tickets.

I’m a pretty casual Nine Inch Nails fan – when they last toured here with Queens of the Stone Age, I took the opportunity to purchase tickets via the fanclub presale. The process was refreshingly simple. Visit the appropriate website with a unique presale code, purchase the tickets and then in the week leading up to the event we were sent an email with details on how to collect the ticket. Fans were even allowed inside the venue 15 minutes before the general opening time. A couple of the NIN touring staff manned a desk outside the venue where those who ordered presale tickets picked them up after flashing a suitable ID.

It was dead simple and extremely effective. Admittedly where I live in Adelaide concert tickets generally have low levels of demand, but the same story could be applied to NIN concerts around the globe.

Adam, Justin, Danny and Maynard – have your guys speak to NIN’s management and ask them how they do it. Or give Trent Reznor a call – I’m pretty sure at least Maynard has his number. As a long time supporter of fans rights in music, I have no doubt he can give plenty of guidance on how to run an effective presale.

To be clear about the Tool VIP Experience tickets – I have no problems with these. I hear nothing but good feeback from fans who have attended these sessions (I’d love to do one myself eventually). Keep these kind of fan experiences coming, those who can afford them will take advantage of these, regardless of if they are Toolarmy members or not.

These ticketing issues to me are the biggest problem with Tool at the moment. I actually don’t really care how long Tool take to write records – but when I see Tool fans getting shafted again and again, each and every tour, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I know many of you agree.

Tool, please take some time to do some research, speak to your management and peers, even speak to the fans and fix this problem. When the new album comes out, ticket sales will be in even more demand.

Regards,

Fourtheye Readers and Tool fans all around the world
the chill
Duck Hater

Re: An open letter to Tool regarding concerts and presales

Post by the chill »

Awesome! I hope and am I sure that somebody in the Tool camp will at least give that a read. Tool is just so fucking lazy, and I am not even talking about the new album.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Gracias señor Hell Boi!!! Well done.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Well said, although sadly I suspect it will fall on deaf ears. Tool has made it abundantly clearly that they do not care about their fanbase. Maynard thinks he is second coming of Borges and his disdain for Tool fans ripples off him in waves. Adam and Justin are off in their own strange little worlds continually walking in circles. Danny seems like the only one that cares about the fans and seems to appreciate them although it has become abundantly clear that he is fine with just playing perpetual peace maker and going along with what everyone else wants.

I respect Tool as musicians and appreciate being able to listen to their music over the years, but at this point I don't really consider myself a fan of the band. Yes I have recaptured my love for their music, but I do not like what they have become and haven't for quite some time.

It isn't about entitlement. If is about mutual respect. It is about doing what you say and saying what you mean and not taking for granted the millions of people who have been on this journey with you for over 25 years.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Thanks Hellboy, well said.

Toolarmy is a complete joke. The band and management should be ashamed of themselves for allowing people to continue to register for this 'fanclub.' There's no sense of community or togetherness; no form of communication like there was on the old Toolarmy. It's a webstore there for you to purchase things.

Where does all that registration money go? That $50 they continue to steal from fans for the opportunity to buy a $500 VIP ticket. Why don't they use some of that money to fix toolarmy.com or bring toolband.com into the 21st century.

Toolarmy had regular ticket presales in the past and they are more than capable of doing it now. So why not now? I mean, really. Why not? It's not worth their time unless it's VIP and they can make a couple hundred dollars off of it? There's only one answer. They're lazy and don't care and continue to prove year after year that the only thing us fans are good for is money.

I can't wait for the, "Did you miss out on the opportunity to see Tool!? Don't worry, there are still VIP tickets available for most cities!" post on Facebook.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:Well said, although sadly I suspect it will fall on deaf ears.
I don't really expect the letter will have any meaningful impact, though perhaps if enough support it, maybe, just maybe Tool will listen and do what most bands do - run decent presales!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

fortysixand2 wrote: I can't wait for the, "Did you miss out on the opportunity to see Tool!? Don't worry, there are still VIP tickets available for most cities!" post on Facebook.
Yep, that's pretty much what happened last time. It'd be nice for a change to see Tool fans acutally get a decent chance to score some tickets in the first place, rather than needing to be convinced that $500 is good value.

It is good value compared to risking it with a scalper, but it's not a great deal of consolation for the fan who's only choice is stump up the cash or don't go.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Even if signing up for ToolArmy just gave you a discount on VIP tickets would be better than what they're doing now. Paying for something like that should at least net you something.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Hey HB, did you send a copy of this to Blair, at least?
Hey! Denty!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

For $500 I'd want to hear a demo of the new album thus far.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Great job Hboy, hopefully it has at least some form of impact. Surprised to hear you've been able to somewhat rekindle your appreciation of their tunes Mog.Good to see the resentment has made way to more pity to the band than anger
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote:Hey HB, did you send a copy of this to Blair, at least?
I was in two minds as to whether I should send this to Blair or not - he's not really an official contact with the band, and having built some form of friendship over the years I don't really relish the idea of band related awkwardness happening between us.

However, on reflection I think this is an important topic, so I sent Blair what I hope is a suitable diplomatically worded email asking if he could forward the letter to the band/management, or perhaps advise me on how I may do this myself.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Good post. Just a shame you don't feel as passionate about the fact the band have taken eleven friggen years to follow up a so so album - and have done nothing but leave veritable trails of breadcrumbs up dead end paths all along.

Anyhoo.....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

I don't count it as 11 years. I would say 7 years and give them the benefit of touring hard for 4 years and then should have been fucking around with song ideas.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:Good post. Just a shame you don't feel as passionate about the fact the band have taken eleven friggen years to follow up a so so album - and have done nothing but leave veritable trails of breadcrumbs up dead end paths all along.
I really don't see the delay as a big deal personally. I know some get really butthurt over it, but I've always been comfortable with bands, be they Tool or others taking the time they need to finish albums.

That doesn't mean I'm not frustrated with the process, and would like more transparency, just don't see the point in them rushing it.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

When were the rumors of the "next" album to drop started- 2011 I believe? Personally think it's a bit moronic to say they've been lazy for 11 years. No one expected a new album to drop 12 months after 10K days.

So it's been only ~6 years of waiting! I feel good about things and should sleep better tonight.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:Personally think it's a bit moronic to say they've been lazy for 11 years. No one expected a new album to drop 12 months after 10K days.
Maybe, the point of reference most people use for any band when referring to the time between albums is when the last came out, so not sure I agree it's moronic.

The length of the delay has long since stopped being relevant though.

The problem really is not that it's taken 11 years, it's more that we've seen several "promises" that it'll be sooner.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Agreed. It's the stop start nature of the thing that pisses me off. Being fed tidbits here and there that make it seem like some huge payoff is just round the corner and that the wheels of progress are turning - only to be followed by empty silence and embarrassed confessions regarding just how little finished material is on the table.
Maynard's disparaging comments don't help things either. Although, to be honest, how do you expect him him to act in the face of such unprecedented inactivity?

THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

@Busty - Ya man I decided last year to embrace a more balanced approach and to try to live mindfully to the best of my abilities. As with all things it is a work in progress but somewhere along the line I fell back in love with Tool's music. Tool still frustrates me on a number of levels but that anti-Tool crusade I was on was just a waste of energy.

@Hellboy - I am not sure the letter will even matter no matter how diplomatic or well written. The only one of them that I think genuinely appreciates the fanbase is Danny and sadly he seems to let Adam run the show. Nothing is going to change Adam at this point. Maynard is hostile bordering on out right loathing when it comes to Tool fans. Tool just doesn't care about their fans on any level.

I appreciate the great albums they have released and the fantastic shows I have attended. I wish the members of Tool happiness in their endeavors. But until they have something new to bring to the table they wont get another dime from me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote: @Hellboy - I am not sure the letter will even matter no matter how diplomatic or well written. The only one of them that I think genuinely appreciates the fanbase is Danny and sadly he seems to let Adam run the show. Nothing is going to change Adam at this point. Maynard is hostile bordering on out right loathing when it comes to Tool fans. Tool just doesn't care about their fans on any level.
As I've said before I disagree with your assessment regarding loathing and such. I think it's far more likely to be apathy.

I have no expectations as to the impact of the letter.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:@Busty - Ya man I decided last year to embrace a more balanced approach and to try to live mindfully to the best of my abilities. As with all things it is a work in progress but somewhere along the line I fell back in love with Tool's music. Tool still frustrates me on a number of levels but that anti-Tool crusade I was on was just a waste of energy. .
This pleases me. Life's too short and all that mate :D They're lack of transparency towards their fans irks me but nothing they ever do can take away from the power of their music. Am glad you've been able to rediscover that joy.
Listen to All Them Witches