An open letter to Tool regarding concerts and presales

The Main Event
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Re: An open letter to Tool regarding concerts and presales

Post by Busty McCracken »

Great job Hboy, hopefully it has at least some form of impact. Surprised to hear you've been able to somewhat rekindle your appreciation of their tunes Mog.Good to see the resentment has made way to more pity to the band than anger
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote:Hey HB, did you send a copy of this to Blair, at least?
I was in two minds as to whether I should send this to Blair or not - he's not really an official contact with the band, and having built some form of friendship over the years I don't really relish the idea of band related awkwardness happening between us.

However, on reflection I think this is an important topic, so I sent Blair what I hope is a suitable diplomatically worded email asking if he could forward the letter to the band/management, or perhaps advise me on how I may do this myself.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Good post. Just a shame you don't feel as passionate about the fact the band have taken eleven friggen years to follow up a so so album - and have done nothing but leave veritable trails of breadcrumbs up dead end paths all along.

Anyhoo.....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

I don't count it as 11 years. I would say 7 years and give them the benefit of touring hard for 4 years and then should have been fucking around with song ideas.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:Good post. Just a shame you don't feel as passionate about the fact the band have taken eleven friggen years to follow up a so so album - and have done nothing but leave veritable trails of breadcrumbs up dead end paths all along.
I really don't see the delay as a big deal personally. I know some get really butthurt over it, but I've always been comfortable with bands, be they Tool or others taking the time they need to finish albums.

That doesn't mean I'm not frustrated with the process, and would like more transparency, just don't see the point in them rushing it.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

When were the rumors of the "next" album to drop started- 2011 I believe? Personally think it's a bit moronic to say they've been lazy for 11 years. No one expected a new album to drop 12 months after 10K days.

So it's been only ~6 years of waiting! I feel good about things and should sleep better tonight.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:Personally think it's a bit moronic to say they've been lazy for 11 years. No one expected a new album to drop 12 months after 10K days.
Maybe, the point of reference most people use for any band when referring to the time between albums is when the last came out, so not sure I agree it's moronic.

The length of the delay has long since stopped being relevant though.

The problem really is not that it's taken 11 years, it's more that we've seen several "promises" that it'll be sooner.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Agreed. It's the stop start nature of the thing that pisses me off. Being fed tidbits here and there that make it seem like some huge payoff is just round the corner and that the wheels of progress are turning - only to be followed by empty silence and embarrassed confessions regarding just how little finished material is on the table.
Maynard's disparaging comments don't help things either. Although, to be honest, how do you expect him him to act in the face of such unprecedented inactivity?
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

@Busty - Ya man I decided last year to embrace a more balanced approach and to try to live mindfully to the best of my abilities. As with all things it is a work in progress but somewhere along the line I fell back in love with Tool's music. Tool still frustrates me on a number of levels but that anti-Tool crusade I was on was just a waste of energy.

@Hellboy - I am not sure the letter will even matter no matter how diplomatic or well written. The only one of them that I think genuinely appreciates the fanbase is Danny and sadly he seems to let Adam run the show. Nothing is going to change Adam at this point. Maynard is hostile bordering on out right loathing when it comes to Tool fans. Tool just doesn't care about their fans on any level.

I appreciate the great albums they have released and the fantastic shows I have attended. I wish the members of Tool happiness in their endeavors. But until they have something new to bring to the table they wont get another dime from me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote: @Hellboy - I am not sure the letter will even matter no matter how diplomatic or well written. The only one of them that I think genuinely appreciates the fanbase is Danny and sadly he seems to let Adam run the show. Nothing is going to change Adam at this point. Maynard is hostile bordering on out right loathing when it comes to Tool fans. Tool just doesn't care about their fans on any level.
As I've said before I disagree with your assessment regarding loathing and such. I think it's far more likely to be apathy.

I have no expectations as to the impact of the letter.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:@Busty - Ya man I decided last year to embrace a more balanced approach and to try to live mindfully to the best of my abilities. As with all things it is a work in progress but somewhere along the line I fell back in love with Tool's music. Tool still frustrates me on a number of levels but that anti-Tool crusade I was on was just a waste of energy. .
This pleases me. Life's too short and all that mate :D They're lack of transparency towards their fans irks me but nothing they ever do can take away from the power of their music. Am glad you've been able to rediscover that joy.
Listen to All Them Witches