Opiate Re-release

The Main Event
Alittlevil
Has been

Re: Opiate Re-release

Post by Alittlevil »

I had thought about framing it from the get go. I may just lay it all out this week a few ways and post some pictures of ideas.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Anyone regret having bought the re-release?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

I certainly don't regret purchasing the Opiate resissue as I had missed the opportunities previously to purchase other autographed memorabilia such as the signed Salival and signed Lateralus vinyl.

I collect memorabilia, event posters, and autographs as a hobby, not just music but sports as well (one of only a few autographed memorabilia I purchased without getting signed in person was the Opiate reissue), however I am unhappy with the value of the product in comparison to other TOOL limited edition releases. It seems that the Opiate reissue doesn't have a strong market value at all (not that I am looking to sell my item) compared to Salival's, Lateralus Vinyl's etc. It's unfortunate. I am also attributing an absolute flooding of the market of TOOL autographs that has has been happening since about 2007 when at almost any TOOL concert you could buy an autographed poster. Then came the drumheads. Etc etc.

I also think alot of negativity involved the fact that TOOL was releasing a reissue of older material rather than new material and that soured the product as well. I don't think I can go on to any forum that speaks of the Opiate reissue in a positive light.

Regardless, I am glad I own it and could afford it at the time, I don't feel raped or ripped off, nor do I suck TOOL's penis, so for me it's no real big loss. I have spent thousands of dollars on other things that were far more senseless and often times certifiably questionable.

As stated earlier I would like to somehow frame this reissue in a way to display how awesome the artwork is.
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

iloveposters wrote:however I am unhappy with the value of the product in comparison to other TOOL limited edition releases. It seems that the Opiate reissue doesn't have a strong market value at all (not that I am looking to sell my item) compared to Salival's, Lateralus Vinyl's etc. It's unfortunate. I
It's more likely because it wasn't really a 'limited edition'. 5000 copies is a lot for something like that. The others were more limited weren't they?
Professor of Lesbian Science
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I don't regret buying it, nor would I have lost any sleep if I didn't. I still feel like it's a missed opportunity for Tool to have done something really cool.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

basejumper wrote:
iloveposters wrote:however I am unhappy with the value of the product in comparison to other TOOL limited edition releases. It seems that the Opiate reissue doesn't have a strong market value at all (not that I am looking to sell my item) compared to Salival's, Lateralus Vinyl's etc. It's unfortunate. I
It's more likely because it wasn't really a 'limited edition'. 5000 copies is a lot for something like that. The others were more limited weren't they?
Salival was limited edition, I'm not sure of the number though. It can also be easily found on Amazon etc for about $30.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote: Salival was limited edition, I'm not sure of the number though. It can also be easily found on Amazon etc for about $30.
Not sure how limited Salival is, but you haven't been able to find it anywhere online with any regularity for under $100 in the last 5 or so years.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Brand new, yes. It makes sense for it to be that high if it's new.

I just searched amazon and a whole bunch used popped up starting at $55.

I remember reading once that it was limited to 100,000, does that sound right?
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I think it was actually 100,000,000,000,000,012 copies.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote: I just searched amazon and a whole bunch used popped up starting at $55.
No one wants a Salival with a pre-licked square on it
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

Where i lived when salival came out there was am abadunce of copies of Salival. I bought the VHS version and then months later returned to the same Music store and bought the DVD version once I got a DVD player. Yep. The good ol' days. Also I was talking about the signed salivals being more limited than unsigned.

Also for what it's worth I was extremely disspoonted about now having the money to get the APC box set as it would have been a cool collector's piece especially since I dont't have anyone from APCs autograph. However after hearing the horror stories about the quality of the box and the overall material I am not that upset. Plus I had the pleasure of hanging out with Billy a few times many years ago as his sister is a nurse and worked with one of my good friend's sister. That was cool.
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

iloveposters wrote:...it would have been a cool collector's piece especially since I dont't have anyone from APCs autograph. However after hearing the horror stories about the quality of the box and the overall material I am not that upset.

What horror stories?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

A teenage boy drove his date to a dark and deserted Lovers' Lane for a make-out session. He turned on the radio for mood music, leaned over to whisper in the girl's ear, and began kissing her.

A short while later, the music suddenly stopped mid-song. After a moment of silence an announcer's voice came on, announcing a sale on A Perfect Circle boxsets at a local record store — which happened to be located within a half-mile of Lovers' Lane — and urging that anyone in the area should go and buy it.

The girl became frightened and asked to be taken home. The boy, feeling bold, locked all the doors instead and, assuring his date they would be safe, attempted to kiss her again. She became frantic and pushed him away, insisting that they leave. Relenting, the boy peevishly jerked the car into gear and spun its wheels as he pulled out of the parking space.

When they arrived at the girl's house she got out of the car, and, reaching to close the door, began to scream uncontrollably. The boy ran to her side to see what was wrong and there, dangling from the door handle, was a ruined copy of the A Perfect Circle because the materials were like really shoddy or something.
Don't mow your lawn
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

The boxsets would snap in half or break upon opening, or they arrived already broken. Also there apparently was a wall hanger on the back of the boxset to hang and it would break off when hanging on the wall. Also the customer service was dreadful in responding tocomplaints regarding broken box sets. Customer Service would take weeks to respond or wouldn't respond at all. Finally when CS would respond they told customers to try glue. I also know of a few cases of people never getting their box sets, or they had to hunt down their post man because the boxsets were delivered to wrong addresses. International customers were not told they had to put up to $150 for customs to release their product and were surprised when they had to come up with the extra cash. Many complained about importing issues when they tried transferring the CD's their laptop.
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

iloveposters wrote:International customers were not told they had to put up to $150 for customs to release their product and were surprised when they had to come up with the extra cash.
Well these customers are idiots ... there's no way the band/management is going to track the different levies and shipping taxes of every foreign country. It varies from country to country with central/south american countries being particularly skittish when it comes to such things, including the delivery of items (especially those of any value) in general.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

Even with mine falling apart I don't regret the purchase. I was hoping for a shot at the golden ticket, whatever that ends up being. I do however find myself sort of at a loss, like what the hell was I planning on doing with a $150 cd that i already have copies of? So that brings me back to the framing option for my chill room. Enjoy the signatures and the art pieces for what they are and hope that I can unfold the packaging into some shape that takes well to the framing process.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

iloveposters wrote:The boxsets would snap in half or break upon opening, or they arrived already broken. Also there apparently was a wall hanger on the back of the boxset to hang and it would break off when hanging on the wall. Also the customer service was dreadful in responding tocomplaints regarding broken box sets. Customer Service would take weeks to respond or wouldn't respond at all. Finally when CS would respond they told customers to try glue. I also know of a few cases of people never getting their box sets, or they had to hunt down their post man because the boxsets were delivered to wrong addresses. International customers were not told they had to put up to $150 for customs to release their product and were surprised when they had to come up with the extra cash. Many complained about importing issues when they tried transferring the CD's their laptop.

Wow, I had no idea. I had buyers remorse for buying the Opiate and did not purchase the APC box set. I would rather have had that one. Now, I'm glad I didn't purchase it, especially after a friend sent me all the DVD's and cd's from the box set.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

no golden ticket prize packs yet?
go taff!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

budsyralli wrote:no golden ticket prize packs yet?
Nope.
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Actually my source says "Yes."
Don't mow your lawn
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

"He's a Witch!"
go taff!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

As was mentioned back during this whole thing, i have no dog in this fight - but I think not even having a prize for the winners of these "golden tickets" is incredibly piss-poor.

I know TOOL have given us some awesome stuff over the years, and for all intents and purposes, they're good human beings: But this just speaks massively of either how little they have it together, or how little they think of their fans.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

Its a shame really that there hasn't been any updates on this subject
go taff!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

The Boss wrote:all intensive porpoises, they're good human beings
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

If I ever go to a vip session that's what i'll ask.

Me: What ever happened to the golden ticket winners? What was the prize?
Adam: It's not about you.

That's my expectation.