Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
junior
Green Herbsman

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by junior »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:12 pm Junior, full lighting tonight or festival rig? Can’t wait to see. Good luck!
Chicago was the festival lighting rig. The weather forecasts for Sunday weren’t promising when we loaded in at 1am, so the decision was made to not risk getting more of our stuff soaked.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:24 pm No virtual reality although christ with Adam who fucking knows but ultimately that would cost WAY too much for a physical release. No just a bunch of unnecessary over the top waste of space plastic and cardboard with I imagine some blinking lights and maybe some batteries. Again shit nobody cares about in 2019.
I think we can put aside the "fact" that nobody cares about packaging in 2019. Clearly there are many (myself and seeming the band included) that do.

The only real fact here is that the album will release on August 30th, and arguments about why and what format are pointless. The album will be released in the manner the band wants.

Being unhappy with how long the album will take is just fine, but I reckon the whole argument has been done to death.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Album title followed by the track list soon enough: Hellboy, any word from your sources if these have been locked down yet?

Everything else (New video, Opiate video, etc.) is really just a bonus at this point. No doubt looking forward to whatever else is released, but right now it's all about that new album. :)

edit:

Junior - Any favorite moments from this recent tour you'd be willing to share? And, looking forward to anything in particular during the upcoming European tour? Thanks!
Last edited by nxrm on Tue May 21, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
SirGreat
Maynard Believer

Post by SirGreat »

I think we need some new insider scoops/rumours regarding new album artwork, opiate video release, digital releases, and vinyl reissues.

Someone...please. Give us a taste.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

I’m looking forward to the physical release, preferably vinyl. The album. Delivered the way the band intends it. Packaging, artwork, liner notes, the total experience. Tool is a total experience. And I don’t have an issue if this process caused a couple month delay - well worth it finishing the delivery vessel in exact fashion.

Still zero interest in digital other than streaming a lead single.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 pm
M0G wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:24 pm No virtual reality although christ with Adam who fucking knows but ultimately that would cost WAY too much for a physical release. No just a bunch of unnecessary over the top waste of space plastic and cardboard with I imagine some blinking lights and maybe some batteries. Again shit nobody cares about in 2019.
I think we can put aside the "fact" that nobody cares about packaging in 2019. Clearly there are many (myself and seeming the band included) that do.

The only real fact here is that the album will release on August 30th, and arguments about why and what format are pointless. The album will be released in the manner the band wants.

Being unhappy with how long the album will take is just fine, but I reckon the whole argument has been done to death.
Bah I reckon there isn’t much to talk about until either album title and track listing is released or euro tour kicks off so fuck it besides my initial rant was hilarious rocket ship was a nice touch. Regularly scheduled fawning over new Tool songs will commence shortly but I did have a little fun today.
The most intelligent person on this forum
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

nxrm wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 pm Junior - Any favorite moments from this recent tour you'd be willing to share? And, looking forward to anything in particular during the upcoming European tour? Thanks!
It all went too fast. The storm in Jacksonville set us back days with the number of lights it wrecked or disabled (around 40 of them, I think). That whole first week was mostly spent repairing and replacing instead of programming and advancing. There were 4 lights that didn’t get replaced until the Des Moines show.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

junior wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 pm
nxrm wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 pm Junior - Any favorite moments from this recent tour you'd be willing to share? And, looking forward to anything in particular during the upcoming European tour? Thanks!
It all went too fast. The storm in Jacksonville set us back days with the number of lights it wrecked or disabled (around 40 of them, I think). That whole first week was mostly spent repairing and replacing instead of programming and advancing. There were 4 lights that didn’t get replaced until the Des Moines show.
How long did it take to come up with the visuals for Descending and Invincible? Lightning and visuals on the new tracks fit them perfectly especially Descending with that Pyramid. Very dope I imagine you and Adam collaborate on that before the tour? Do you get to improvise now and again or is it pretty much programmed and locked in each night?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

SirGreat wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:18 pm I think we need some new insider scoops/rumours regarding new album artwork, opiate video release, digital releases, and vinyl reissues.

Someone...please. Give us a taste.
I don't have much really. There's the rumour around there being a battery included on it, which reportedly came from Danny. I've also heard (from a source I'm not prepared to elaborate on) that the artwork that someone has reportedly seen is not anything that's been seen before (ie. it's something new). They didn't see it with enough detail to comment on who the artist may be. Reading between the lines, it did appear that the old rumour it could be a comic style package don't seem to have legs - but not enough info to tell really.

Regarding tracklist and title? No idea - I'm actually expecting the album will be self or untitled at this time. I don't reckon it'll be called Descending or Invincible. My gut feeling is that we won't get a more formal announcement until after the European dates kicking off next month. I'm expecting an announcement of album details, artwork, packaging etc sometime in early July.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

thanks for the heads up junior!

i'll try to say hello in Vienna. Always amazed by your work! Last Austria show got cancelled, so I'm super hungry for some tripping visuals :)
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

M0G wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:57 pm
How long did it take to come up with the visuals for Descending and Invincible? Lightning and visuals on the new tracks fit them perfectly especially Descending with that Pyramid. Very dope I imagine you and Adam collaborate on that before the tour? Do you get to improvise now and again or is it pretty much programmed and locked in each night?
Lighting-wise, those 2 songs have been improvised every night. Still trying to work up something permanent for those. Part of the time lost to weather was going to be dedicated to making those more coherent.
The new songs have a grand scope, and will take some time to flesh them out.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

junior wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:39 am

Lighting-wise, those 2 songs have been improvised every night. Still trying to work up something permanent for those. Part of the time lost to weather was going to be dedicated to making those more coherent.
Take your time and just get them fleshed by the Aussie tour. My gratitude and thanks in advance.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

I’m definitely looking forward to the packaging. It’s all part of the process man. These albums don’t come around too often so when they do, holding out for a physical release is something I look forward to and appreciate. Where has in been CONFIRMED they will release digitally anyway? Either way looking forward to new tunes.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

So Junior you are in charge of the visual aspect of the show without any input of the band?

Wha?
Canned audience laughter
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

Calfium Jay wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 pm
snazzl3frass wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm
There are threads for bickering.

Not on this forum there aren't.
Not anymore apparently. "Infinity" is for bickering threads, I guess lately bickering has been scattered throughout the forum. Carry on then chaps.
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

snazzl3frass wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:36 am
Calfium Jay wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 pm
snazzl3frass wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm
There are threads for bickering.

Not on this forum there aren't.
Not anymore apparently. "Infinity" is for bickering threads, I guess lately bickering has been scattered throughout the forum. Carry on then chaps.
You shut your mouth!
Listen to All Them Witches
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:49 am
You shut your mouth!
Ok. Love you too Busty!
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

hellboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Exactly. I personally cannot wait to buy a physical copy with whatever packaging they come up with. It's what makes this band so unique. i don't give a flying fuck who thinks packaging is irrelevant in 2019. Maybe it's because artists are lazy now and don't release anything physically unique and worth purchasing. Or maybe it's because it's a risk financially to go over the top on album artwork nowadays. All I know is Tool doesn't have to worry about that and they are going to release something fantastic. if you want just your digital copy, go for it. But don't try to tell me what I want in 2019. I'll take physical copies and artwork any day of the week over shit quality streaming services.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

totally agree. seems like there are few in here that do too....
i cant wait to see what adam has in store.

we all love tool, lets love each other as well
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Ah man, that is a bummer indeed. I imagine the primary goal on these (or any) tour is that things go as smoothly as possible. I can see now why something like the storm in Jacksonville has a significant effect on the rest of the tour. What a hassle. Sorry to hear it, and I hope you guys don't experience any major issues on the upcoming European tour. All the best!
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I just hope the packaging makes it easy to get the disc out without scratching it (looking at you 10,000 Days).
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

junior wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:39 am

Thanks for replying it is fascinating getting some insight as to how things work behind the scenes. Most people go to concerts and never give any thought to just how much goes into bringing them the spectacle and how many people are involved in that process. I know at times I am critical of Tool on certain issues but please never take that as me being critical of you. The visual aspect of the shows is always exceptional and you and your team do an amazing job.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

BlackHole83 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:28 am I’m definitely looking forward to the packaging. It’s all part of the process man. These albums don’t come around too often so when they do, holding out for a physical release is something I look forward to and appreciate. Where has in been CONFIRMED they will release digitally anyway? Either way looking forward to new tunes.
Absolutely confirmed don’t believe me ask Hellboy. Their entire back catalogue as well as the new album will be released digitally and it is about fucking time.

As for physical copies I couldn’t give two shits who prefers what. My argument from the beginning has been about the absurd release delay BECAUSE of the packaging. And of course the absurd notion that Tool are still doing a physical copy to curtail piracy. If they were concerned with piracy they wouldn’t be making all of their albums available digitally. They are doing a physical copy because that is what Adam wants. I would bet money if you asked Maynard about physical releases he couldn’t give two shits as he has specifically stated on a number of occasions that Tool’s albums not being available digitally has not been his choice.

You want plastic great I would have rather have had the new album a month and half earlier but it is what it is.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

If theyre going to release it digitally anyway, why not do that now? It's been mastered for at least a month. People will buy the physical album when it comes out. Are they scared releasing it digitally will affect physical sales? Why would they give a fuck, they're Tool.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

snazzl3frass wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:34 am
Busty McCracken wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:49 am
You shut your mouth!
Ok. Love you too Busty!
Sorry , not sure if we are still bickering in this thread or not. Is hard to keep up.

And yep, whoever said 10K days scratched their disc. Mine got scratched to fuck coz of that packaging
Listen to All Them Witches