Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:35 pm Prime example of why regulations are bad
No, there should have been a regulation against Tom recording that album.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

UndKeineZwEier wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:35 pm Prime example of why regulations are bad
How dare you

Canned audience laughter
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

TOOL NEWSLETTER

NOVEMBER 2018 E.V.

A few weeks ago I visited Los Angeles to take care of some book-related business. While there for a couple of days, I also was hoping to have a listen to some of the new Tool music. Although I had been exposed to plenty of the new stuff recorded at the loft, I hadn’t heard anything that was tracked in the studio.

While driving through the Inland Empire, I received a text from Danny informing me that he was currently on his way to Marina Del Rey, where he had made arrangements to be taken by boat to an access point that enabled him to enter his neighborhood to check on possible fire damage to his property. Realizing that some of my plans might have to be changed due to the fires still burning near the city, I proceeded to the band’s merchandise facility to drop off some boxes of books.

With no further word from Danny, I headed to Santa Monica to work on the files of a book that was almost ready to be sent to the printer. While stuck in traffic, I thought about some of the great Mexican restaurants that I missed eating at after moving to Las Vegas. There was Lucy’s el Adobe, Malo, Guisados and La Azteca Tortilleria. With my stomach growling, I pulled in front of my friend’s apartment. Kent (one of the talented guitarists in the band, STURGEON) was standing outside, wanting to grab some lunch before putting the finishing touches on the layout. “Where to?” I asked. “Del Taco,” he laughed. “Del Taco?” “No colorful murals? No mariachis? No… margaritas!”

One of the reasons that I moved from L.A. was the horrendous traffic, and now I was right back in it. Had Kent wanted to go to Chipotle, there would have been valet parking (seriously), and margaritas (well, kind of), but not so at this new Del Taco on Wilshire. Kent told me that he would run in and grab the… things, while I drove around the block. Waiting for him in a back alley -­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ which was barely even an alley – it wasn’t long before horns started blasting. Glancing in the rearview mirror, I saw about six cars with very impatient drivers sitting behind me. It’s hard to imagine, but the rutted, buckled alley behind the Del Taco was much busier than the wide street that I lived off of in Vegas. Needless to day, I went through this same maneuver – waiting in the alley seconds before the cacophony of horns nudged me forward onto the deplorable side street - several times before my friend returned with those enchanted tacos (must be the Silicon Dioxide).

As bad as the traffic is in L.A., finding a parking spot at an apartment complex can be even more frustrating (case in point later). Having spent the rest of the afternoon trying to convert a PDF file back into InDesign so that the text could be edited (I won’t bore you with the details as I have other things to bore you with), I finally got a call from Danny. Maybe I would get to hear some new Tool songs after we had dinner.

Perhaps to make up for lunch, Kent wanted to dine at the best steak house in Santa Monica. Not only that, but he was bringing an $800.00 bottle of Penfolds Grange (that my brother had given him a LONG time ago).That he had held onto it for such a long time made Kent a bit nervous about it possibly having turned, especially watching as the staff carefully attempted to uncork it. (After 20 minutes I thought they might call in a Bomb-Defusing Robot!)

Moments after we ordered our steaks (make mine well done with no melted garlic butter), Danny showed up, looking as if he’d just been through hell. He told us that after spending a good part of the day helping to unload supplies for fire victims, he had to take a dinghy to the shore and then walk about 5 miles through a choking ash blizzard to reach his house. Although the damage to the property wasn’t too severe, the same couldn’t be said for many of his neighbors. Using his scooter to get out of the mandatory evacuated neighborhood, he arrived at the restaurant with a few personal belongings. Seeing how wiped out he looked (rare for him), I figured that I wouldn’t get to listen to the new Tool stuff until we met again the following night (hopefully).

On the way back to Kent’s apartment, his wife had to make several circles around the block to find a parking place. That’s when I made a comment that no BMW owner wants to hear. Knowing that Kent’s car was parked in their one car garage, I voiced my thoughts that a cave man probably wouldn’t be able to tell that a BMW was better than his wife’s nice car, being that he would be so astonished at seeing an automobile that little details wouldn’t matter. Kent, (as any other BMW owner) would not forget this.

After a good night’s sleep with the sound of tranquil surf coming from an Oasis Sound Therapy System (even though we were in Santa Monica, where the real surf…), Kent and I worked most of the day on preparing the files for the printer. Having finished by late afternoon, we got into his BMW and headed towards the Fox & Hounds pub in Studio City. Listening to three different albums in their entirety during the 9-mile drive, Kent asked me if there were a lot of sketchy people driving in Vegas. “Yes, but their cars move. They may run traffic lights and drive at night with their lights off and toss empty Mai-tai glasses out the window, but their cars are moving.”

When we finally arrived, our friend Ben Sherazi (Rajas guitarist) was the only person in the pub (other than a waitress). Knowing that we needed to get to the recording studio soon – not the studio where Tool tracked – but Jimmy Hayward’s (Legend of the Seagullmen) studio, where Danny’s cousin Paul Vilas Jones was working on his solo project, we finished a pint just as Danny pulled up. Kent was going to lay down some lead guitar (along with the other Sturgeon guitarist, Chris Wieber), so we had to get back into the grueling traffic. Before doing so, I gave Danny the three books that he wanted: The Othering (my novel), Darklore Volume IX and Stranger Than Fiction by Mike Jay. Now, would he remember to put them in his Panamera (of course with a turbo) before leaving?

It didn’t take long for both Kent and Chris to track their guitar parts (in some great music written by Paul), so we had a few beers with Jimmy while we waited for Ben and Danny to arrive. It was late when they finally showed up, and because I had to leave at 5:00 AM to beat the traffic, Kent and I decided to head back to Santa Monica.

While walking to his car (parked on yet another deficient alley), Danny emerged from the studio and insisted that we hear a couple of new Tool songs before we left. (Not the final mix.) Yes! Climbing into the Porche, I remarked that a cave man probably wouldn’t be able to tell that it was better than Kent’s BMW because he would be so astonished at seeing an automobile that little details wouldn’t matter. While reclined in the passenger seat (with both Sturgeon guitarists comfortably in the back), Danny put the CD into the tray and selected track 3… (No spoilers here, which I’m sure you’ll thank me for later.)
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The most interesting thing about that newsletter is that Danny now has a Porsche Panamera

Kidding - actually I thought it was an interesting read.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm
Moments after we ordered our steaks (make mine well done with no melted garlic butter)
dead to me
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

^ seconded! "Well done" What a bloody outrage!

Man,we got to be imminent to an official announcement soon.. surely
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So just between us, it's now my understanding that Maynard has recorded his vocals for the album, which would suggest to me they are currently doing the final mixing on it.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ok, I'll try and keep it under wraps.
Don't mow your lawn
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 pm So just between us,...
Last edited by nxrm on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Given that he said CD in the news letter and that he made no mention of it being sans vocals I took it as a near completed song so got a slight tingly feeling I havent felt since watching hasselhoff running along the sandy bay in the 90s
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Sounds like even the tracks have been placed in proper order for the album?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I doubt it's finished, to me it sounds like tracks 1 & 2 aren't recorded yet as Danny had to skip to track 3 when playing the cd for Blair.
Canned audience laughter
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Loulz
Don't mow your lawn
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Sorry I have nothing positive to say. Album should be fully mixed and being mastered by now. Pathetic piss poor lazy no work ethic bullshit
The most intelligent person on this forum
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

It probably is??
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:02 am Sorry I have nothing positive to say. Album should be fully mixed and being mastered by now. Pathetic piss poor lazy no work ethic bullshit
Damn, I'm sure everyone here was expecting a flowery positive post from you.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Moggie’s always been a fount of positivity.

I’m just glad they are at least pretending to be making some progress.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

If one where to believe in a spring release, what could we guess as for winter and spring timelines with announcements, singles, advertising, releases? What have the timelines been in the past?
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm Given that he said CD in the news letter and that he made no mention of it being sans vocals I took it as a near completed song so got a slight tingly feeling I havent felt since watching hasselhoff running along the sandy bay in the 90s
You get a gold star for this comment.
Hey! Denty!
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 am If one where to believe in a spring release, what could we guess as for winter and spring timelines with announcements, singles, advertising, releases? What have the timelines been in the past?
01 Feb 06
TOOL RECORD MASTERED
Salma stopped dancing on January 29th. The next morning the members of the band flew to Portland, Maine to have the record mastered by Bob Ludwig. This was done on January 31, no doubt followed by a lobster dinner.
BMB

03 Feb 06
RELEASE DATES NOT OFFICIAL
Although there are lots of release dates being bandied about, NONE are official as of this posting. However, in all likelihood, the CD will be released sometime in MAY, and hopefully earlier in that month as opposed to later. As soon as the date becomes official (or, as soon as I'm told that it's official) I will post it on the site, and then some of you can respond that it's old news.
BMB

03 Mar 06
JUST IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED...
The artwork for the upcoming Tool album is going to the separators/printers today, therefore it will eventually be leaked out that the name of the album is (drum roll.......) ' 10,000 days '

... so there it is.
BMB

10 Mar 06
TRACK LISTINGS FOR 10,000 DAYS
Here's the track listing for the new TOOL ALBUM entitled 10,000 DAYS set to be released on MAY 2nd, 2006.
Vicarious
Jambi
Wings For Marie (Pt 1)
10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
Intension
Right In Two
Viginti Tres

BMB
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Ravenpig wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:06 pm
Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm Given that he said CD in the news letter and that he made no mention of it being sans vocals I took it as a near completed song so got a slight tingly feeling I havent felt since watching hasselhoff running along the sandy bay in the 90s
You get a gold star for this comment.
Why thank you. He was so dreamy back then
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

nxrm wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:16 pm
Capt. Shipwreck wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 am If one where to believe in a spring release, what could we guess as for winter and spring timelines with announcements, singles, advertising, releases? What have the timelines been in the past?
01 Feb 06
TOOL RECORD MASTERED
Salma stopped dancing on January 29th. The next morning the members of the band flew to Portland, Maine to have the record mastered by Bob Ludwig. This was done on January 31, no doubt followed by a lobster dinner.
BMB

03 Feb 06
RELEASE DATES NOT OFFICIAL
Although there are lots of release dates being bandied about, NONE are official as of this posting. However, in all likelihood, the CD will be released sometime in MAY, and hopefully earlier in that month as opposed to later. As soon as the date becomes official (or, as soon as I'm told that it's official) I will post it on the site, and then some of you can respond that it's old news.
BMB

03 Mar 06
JUST IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED...
The artwork for the upcoming Tool album is going to the separators/printers today, therefore it will eventually be leaked out that the name of the album is (drum roll.......) ' 10,000 days '

... so there it is.
BMB

10 Mar 06
TRACK LISTINGS FOR 10,000 DAYS
Here's the track listing for the new TOOL ALBUM entitled 10,000 DAYS set to be released on MAY 2nd, 2006.
Vicarious
Jambi
Wings For Marie (Pt 1)
10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
Intension
Right In Two
Viginti Tres

BMB
Very Interesting
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:41 am
M0G wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:02 am Sorry I have nothing positive to say. Album should be fully mixed and being mastered by now. Pathetic piss poor lazy no work ethic bullshit
Again nothing to be positive about. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that they are going to go with a similar timeline they did with 10,000 Days as NX posted? May? May 2019 for an album they have had 12 years to work on and started recording in April. It is December and they still aren't done mixing? Are you fucking shitting me? How people can continue to defend this fucking band after this fucking album fiasco is so far beyond me it is almost as if we are from different fucking planets.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

The new album is finally on it's way and you are still whinging. Did you realistically expect the album to drop this year when they announced recording earlier in the year??
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm
hellboy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:41 am
Again nothing to be positive about. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that they are going to go with a similar timeline they did with 10,000 Days as NX posted? May? May 2019 for an album they have had 12 years to work on and started recording in April. It is December and they still aren't done mixing? Are you fucking shitting me? How people can continue to defend this fucking band after this fucking album fiasco is so far beyond me it is almost as if we are from different fucking planets.
Who's defending the band? If feel like you're ranting without an audience.