Best Tool live clips

The Main Event
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Re: Best Tool live clips

Post by Ravenpig »

There's some pretty angry songs on Money Shot.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Yeah, I've really getting under MayJay's skin these past few years. Riling him up for you guys. Get some good material out of him.
Don't mow your lawn
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Yeah, I've really getting under MayJay's "skin" these past few years. "Riling" him up for you guys. Get some good "material" out of him.

Amazing how just adding a few quotation marks changes your whole message.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

_peterpwn wrote:the question is, does he need any more purification with powerful emotional tracks, and powerful words? it seems like he is in peace with life now, maybe the other members, fans, his family, politics and grapes can make him angry for a short period of time, but I dont think he has gone thru any kind of stuff that would make him to write powerful words, like Pushit, Schism, Wings etc
I don't think it's a question of what goes into the writing of new material. I think it's simply how he approaches the live environment these days. He has expressly stated that he doesn't have much interest in putting himself "in that space" these days when singing some of those songs. And I can absolutely respect that. The power in those songs is palpable because it undoubtedly came from very real things in his life, and I can't imagine opening that wound night after night to do it "properly."

Do I think he can be a bit more fun and detached without saying "Schlyer" all the time (or holy god, saying "Arizona" instead of "Alive" in Parabola?)? Maybe. Not my call though and the positives far outweigh that small quibble for me. And it's also worth noting that he's done funny shit like that for years in various ways, taking the piss out of himself so... yeah. I'm just grumbling. Whatever keeps the dude happy is great, and it's nice to see that he seems to be in a happier place overall these days.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

joeypants wrote:
I don't think it's a question of what goes into the writing of new material. I think it's simply how he approaches the live environment these days. He has expressly stated that he doesn't have much interest in putting himself "in that space" these days when singing some of those songs. And I can absolutely respect that. The power in those songs is palpable because it undoubtedly came from very real things in his life, and I can't imagine opening that wound night after night to do it "properly."
yeah and maynard has said multiple times that he wrote those songs as a way to help him get through things. So if it works and gets him past it then there is no need to sing those anymore; but if he is still singing them then all that screaming was for nothing.

or something along those lines. I can see where he is coming from though. He didnt write Prison Sex to tell us about his past... he wrote it to help him get through his past. If he is still screaming "Shit Blood and Cum on my hands" every show 20+ years later, then it clearly hasnt helped him through his issues.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

The way he stands up at 19.50 is so.. emotional? I don't know, gave me chills though. This is imo Tool in their prime, can't top this.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I was expecting more of a David Lee Roth style jump, that works for me too.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Haven't seen Maynard that into it in a long time.

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote:Haven't seen Maynard that into it in a long time.

agreed... but lets not forget. this was a long time ago lol
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Yeah, wow I didn't even think about that. 8 years ago, crazy.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Maynard just had a hip replacement and says he feels great, so maybe we'll see him be a little more energetic in the future. One can hope.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

what is everyones favorite live tool concert. just for best audio quality, not necessarily for video.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Impossible to say for me, I like so many. Also depends if I want to hear post 10k days or not.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

xZ1mM3r wrote:what is everyones favorite live tool concert. just for best audio quality, not necessarily for video.
The Rapid City 2002 bootleg is arguably the best quality audio I've heard, next to maybe the Michigan '98 one. Those are the two pinnacles, I think. Also there's a San Francisco source from 2010 that's pretty amazing for an audience boot.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

joeypants wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:what is everyones favorite live tool concert. just for best audio quality, not necessarily for video.
The Rapid City 2002 bootleg is arguably the best quality audio I've heard, next to maybe the Michigan '98 one. Those are the two pinnacles, I think. Also there's a San Francisco source from 2010 that's pretty amazing for an audience boot.
Thanks man, Ill check those out. Im trying to find a great audio quality mixed with a great setlist to download and have just for listening. Little overwhelming when there is about 300 shows on youtube from Tool. Cant listen to em all...
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
joeypants wrote:
Thanks man, Ill check those out. Im trying to find a great audio quality mixed with a great setlist to download and have just for listening. Little overwhelming when there is about 300 shows on youtube from Tool. Cant listen to em all...
The first two I mentioned are soundboard and/or IEM+matrix quality. Really nice. Also there are some good versions of the Denver 2002 show out there of a similar quality. Amazing setlists on all of those shows too.

edit: here I did the legwork for you because I'm just having a great day...

Michigan '98:

Denver 2002:

Rapid City 2002:

San Francisco 2010:
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

thanks!

man that Rapid City version would be PERFECT if it didnt get 'tinny' after the intermission. D/R/T sounds so hollow.

San Fran and Denver sounds great tho!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Anyone got an MP3 link for that Denver show??
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

San Francisco 2010 immediately comes to mind. It's my go-to show when I'm working at the computer. Also, Paris 2006 is great.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

xZ1mM3r wrote:Anyone got an MP3 link for that Denver show??
you can find every show here http://uirlis.airgd.com/
Last edited by Ettan on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

The Rapid city show would be better if the feed wasn't from Justin. Bass is way too loud in the mix imo, otherwise it's excellent. I like it because it's unique, but I prefer regular audience recordings. Here a few of my favorites:

http://uirlis.airgd.com/Home/Recording/2006050401
http://uirlis.airgd.com/Home/Recording/2006121301
http://uirlis.airgd.com/Home/Recording/2006060601
http://uirlis.airgd.com/Home/Recording/2007082201
http://uirlis.airgd.com/Home/Recording/2002051401
http://uirlis.airgd.com/Home/Recording/2002072103

And my favorite from 2002 http://uirlis.airgd.com/Home/Recording/2002071202

I can't emphasize enough how good this recording is.
Last edited by Ettan on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Finally found this clip again, absolutely love the way they played it that night.

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The Pot sounds like its a lower tuning? But its not on the Silverburst either. I thought the Silverburst was in Drop D, so that means the guitar hes using is even lower?... Looks like the same guitar he uses for Parabola
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Yeah it's tuned down, sounds rad imo.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

If I'm not mistaken, 2010 The Pot was tuned down to D flat, and 2012 (or was it 2014?) was all the way down to C.