Video game news

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Re: Video game news

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:Kinda lost interest in Mass Effect games tbh. Probably the last AAA game I played was Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and that was kinda ok.

Games I've really enjoyed in the last month or so tend to fall in the indie category that you don't really like M0g:
* Dead Cells
* Streets of Rogue
* Everspace

All good stuff
I have nothing but respect for Indie devs. Not necessarily what I am looking for out of my gaming experience right now but Indie devs put their heart into their work and tend to care about the communities that spring up around their games. The creator of Dead Cells is a cool cat and I am really happy to see the game doing well.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I should also add that I've been playing Prey, which seems quite interesting, though I'm dissatisfied with the combat in the game. The controls are just too clunky, and the weapons (at least early game) and overly weak. I suspect that by the time I'm powered up I'll feel overpowered, but I'm having to turn the difficulty down in the game just to make any progress.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
Explore the Russian wilderness in vast, non-linear levels and follow a thrilling story-line inspired by the novels of Dmitry Glukhovsky that spans an entire year through spring, summer and autumn to the depths of nuclear winter.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Bethesda has announced Fallout 76.

Sounds like it's going to be set in West Virginia shortly after the end of the Great War, according to the info out there about Vault 76.

There's also rumors about it being a survival game in the vein of Rust with a multiplayer focus. But I don't know how accurate that is.
Don't mow your lawn
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'm out
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'm cool with their being games in the Fallout universe that aren't single player RPGs (though my preference is that they are). I think a survival game could work really well in the context of the franchise. I don't really dig the multiplayer focus though.

Bethesda have a pretty good track record though (with the exception of TESO) so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Ch0ad
Maynard Believer

Post by Ch0ad »

Playing the dark souls remaster. Wish they’d hurry up with the final fantasy 7 remake. Probably load up the old one on PS3 later today.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

tys0n wrote:

I'm out
As much as it pains me I agree completely

The pain is doubled knowing that you are also a fan of one of gaming's very best journalists.

Here let me say something to break the spirit of common ground and understanding.....

Fuck the GOP

There we go back on track
The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It always amuses me when people make their minds up about things months/years out from release. Not saying that there's no way this won't be a bad game, but to render any final judgement on this given how little info we have is illogical.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ch0ad wrote:Playing the dark souls remaster. Wish they’d hurry up with the final fantasy 7 remake. Probably load up the old one on PS3 later today.
Welcome aboard Ch0ad. Not a huge Dark Souls fan personally, but glad to hear you're enjoying the remaster.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

hellboy wrote:It always amuses me when people make their minds up about things months/years out from release. Not saying that there's no way this won't be a bad game, but to render any final judgement on this given how little info we have is illogical.
True but if it's an online multiplayer I won't be playing it, thus I'm out.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Suit yourself. I understand where you're coming from, but calling it so early seems absurd. We don't even know what form multiplayer takes.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:Suit yourself. I understand where you're coming from, but calling it so early seems absurd. We don't even know what form multiplayer takes.
Still with Tyson on this one. Dammit I hate saying that...

This style of game just doesn't work for me in a multiplayer or even a shared world perspective. Part of what makes games like Fallout and Skyrim so good is how easy it is to get lost in them. You go off in whatever direction you want at whatever pace you want and play the game exactly the way you want to play it. ESO is a perfect example of how much you have to give up to allow the game to be playable on that kind of scale. Systems are dumb downed and you lose a lot of the immersion you get from the single player experience.

I enjoy shared world and I enjoy multIplayer but I can get those experiences from other kinds of games. Bethesda have almost done too good a job with this style of game. They will never be able to create a shared world experience that can compete with their single player experience in franchises that they have already firmly established as single player experiences. As I mentioned above it is part of why ESO is fucking awful.

Moreover there are too many games in that shared world space right now and on the horizon that are much more appealing to me. Even with all it's flaws I am still enjoying Destiny 2. I am really looking forward to Anthem and Division 2 next year which will also occupy that shared world space. Borderlands 3 is probably gonna get pushed to 2020 but when that comes out it will likely dominate the looter-shooter space for awhile. I would have much rather Bethesda announced a Fallout 5 or Elder Scrolls 6 honestly but ES 6 is a long long way off. Bethesda needs to be careful right now. Sometimes sticking to what you do well isn't a bad thing, particularly with how volatile a space gaming is at the moment. I just hope they don't dumb things down in future releases to appeal to the mindless legions of millennials playing trash like Fortnite.
The most intelligent person on this forum
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Canned audience laughter
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

C'mon, they have a 2 sided puzzle, treasure map, deck of cards AND a bloods bandana!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

That box is for PC gamers I expect.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Or anybody who buys digitally.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I don't get why Bethesda to announce that the TES VI and Starfield are in development when it seems like they're not on track to be releasing anytime soon.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I don't get why Bethesda to announce that the TES VI and Starfield are in development when it seems like they're not on track to be releasing anytime soon.
We all know they are going to happen, so no harm in not announcing I guess
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I just don't see the point in announcing something before you're really willing to talk about it at all. Like Todd Howard confirming these games are in development at an interview but making it a part of your E3 presentation just feels odd. Especially since everybody already kind of knew they were in development.

Then again they might be farther along than they're letting on too. Like Fallout 76 is coming in like 4 months and that was just announced.

I would just rather have actual information. I don't really have any patience for title announcements anymore.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, don't watch them i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, having just watched the Fallout 76 gameplay trailer, I feel almost nothing for this game. Maybe it'll be a fun game, but it's one I have little interest playing as it stand.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

hellboy wrote:Well, don't watch them i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, having just watched the Fallout 76 gameplay trailer, I feel almost nothing for this game. Maybe it'll be a fun game, but it's one I have little interest playing as it stand.
always amuses me when people make their minds up about things months/years out from release. Not saying that there's no way this won't be a bad game, but to render any final judgement on this given how little info we have is illogical.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I knew you would post that.