What are you PLAYING?

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Re: WHAT are you playing?

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Starwars Battlefront is garbage. The DLC offering is a joke. Oh I am sure Star Wars nuts are jerking off all over the game but it is typical DICE shit. Game modes are a joke when compared to Halo Warzone in terms of how to get large scale combat right. (Big Team Battle coming next week motherfuckers) The maps are lame and the game struggles to maintain 60fps and the resolution is reduced on consoles. Weak sauce. 6 / 10

Halo 5, Fallout 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider FTW. Just Cause 3 out in two weeks. The Division and Uncharted 4 in March. Overwatch is coming to consoles which is sadly a death sentence for Battleborn, particularly since it got pushed back. I won't play Overwatch since it is a Blizzard game and Blizzard merged with Activision and fuck Activision. The Overwatch hype is already being pushed by BlizzardVision even though Battleborn looks superior on all accounts AND has a Campaign. Still really bad news for Gearbox and a damn shame since Gearbox is a far better developer.

Halo 5 is the greatest shooter ever created. Bow motherfuckers. Bow. Battlefront is a disgrace to shooters. Even that garbage POS Destiny is better than Battlefront. The only shooter that is worse this year is COD because well COD...what more needs to be said?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: WHAT are you playing?

Post by hellboy »

Games I've played in the last few months and some short reviews on them.

Fallout 4: Great game, don't feel like I'm close to finishing it though, and probably never will. My only criticism is that it get's pretty samey after a while, which is more or less like all Bethesda games.
The Talos Principal: Pretty cool little puzzle game along the lines of Portal, though without the humour.
American Truck Sim: I'm hopelessly addicted to this game and it's predecessor Euro Truck Sim 2. I find driving the highways of Europe (and the US) with trashy European metal radio stations playing in the background very theraputic
The Witness: Another puzzle game. Looks great, but I found the game play a little underwhelming. Much preferred the Talos Principal
Rocket League: Fun little "sports" type game
Just Cause 3: Just as much fun as Just Cause 2. Runs like shit though, so I decided to take a break for it until a patch comes out (I never checked to see if one has yet)
Sunless Sea: I didn't like this at first, as the mechanics of the game are a bit weird. Once you get used to it though, it's a fun, though somewhat repetitive game

I'm going to say that Metal Gear Solida V was probably my favorite game of 2015, with The Witcher 3 being a very very close second place.

Going to give Firewatch a go shortly, and will probably check out X-COM 2 at some point as well. Also play to try the Division at some point, as it sounds like a cool game. I'm just skeptical that given who's making it, it will turn out to be more hype than substance. We'll see!
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Re: What are you PLAYING?

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

^ Just Cause 3 PC patch is out. Another console patch is badly needed to fix the framerate issue, although I am not sure if they will ever really get that fully fixed on the console side. Load time issue is resolved. I keep waiting for the console patch before I fully dive into it, but I will probably just say fuck it and dive into it shortly. I can live with some framerate drops.

Shame you are on pc I would play The Division with you. I have it on both XB1 and PS4 and have friends playing it on both so I am not entirely sure which console I will be playing it on the most.

Fallout 4, Halo 5, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Rainbow Six Siege, Just Cause 3 and Star Wars Battlefront - The Division out in three weeks. Uncharted 4 in April. Battleborn and Doom in May. So many good games. And of course Mass Effect Andromeda coming at the end of the year...although I suspect that might get pushed to early 2017. Chris Schlerf leaving Bioware for Bungie does scare me a bit, but it is entirely possible that he is essentially finished writing his part(s) of the story. I have a hard time imagining Chris would leave Bioware for Bungie seeing as Bungie is in complete disarray. Then again, money talks...and Bungie has that Activision money.

No real disappointments either. Star Wars Battlefront is pathetically light on content, but the combat is solid. It isn't a game I play often but I wouldn't say it is a bad game by any stretch. Rainbow Six Siege is very similar, light on content but well executed. Fallout 4 is a gem. Halo 5 is the best shooter I have played in some time, certainly the best multiplayer experience. AC Syndicate renewed my faith in the franchise and Rise of the Tomb Raider is superb.

As for GOTY 2015 at first I gave that nod to The Witcher 3. But honestly after so many hours into Fallout 4 I am absolutely addicted. As much as I love the Witcher 3, Fallout 4 has overtaken it in my eyes. Regardless they are both superb games. Metal Gear does nothing for me, but I can't argue against anyone picking it as 2015 GOTY. I know it is a well executed, well written, solidly developed game. Just not my cup of tea.

Everyone is batshit crazy for Rocket League but it bores the hell out of me. Just do not get the appeal with that one.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Speaking of Just Cause 3, new Sky Fortress expansion trailer released

[youtube][/youtube]
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:^ Just Cause 3 PC patch is out. Another console patch is badly needed to fix the framerate issue, although I am not sure if they will ever really get that fully fixed on the console side. Load time issue is resolved. I keep waiting for the console patch before I fully dive into it, but I will probably just say fuck it and dive into it shortly. I can live with some framerate drops.
I'll take a look sometime in the not to distant future. It's not quite a gamebreaker, but the framerate makes the game more frustrating than it should be. Though tbh I'm kinda at the point in the game where I've seen most of what there is to see, the remainder of the game is just working towards 100%
THE1TRUEMOG wrote: Metal Gear does nothing for me, but I can't argue against anyone picking it as 2015 GOTY. I know it is a well executed, well written, solidly developed game. Just not my cup of tea.
I take it you haven't played the game? I was skeptical as well, and have never been a MGS fan, but having actually play it, it's damn good.
THE1TRUEMOG wrote: Everyone is batshit crazy for Rocket League but it bores the hell out of me. Just do not get the appeal with that one.
Had it given to me as a gift. Played a couple of hours. Was fun but can't see myself ever playing it again.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

^ The recent JC pc patch seems to have cleared the framerate issue up quite a bit. Still not perfect but much better than the console situation. Plus you have the new DLC coming. One would hope they would have plans on dropping another performance patch prior to their first expansion release.

As for MSG V, I have played it and it is impressive in terms of game mechanics. As a stealth third person shooter/open world experience it is top notch. The Japan does the West/Anime-ishhh aesthetic doesn't work for me. The character names, mother base, etc etc just not my cup of tea. The story does nothing for me. Kojima is crazy talented but his games have never appealed to me. If you asked me for an objective review, the game is easily a 9 out of 10. Just as I said, not my cup of tea.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

I will be playing this on March 8th....hell fucking yes...finally....The Division

[youtube][/youtube]
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

Here is a pretty cool mashup I found on /r/thedivision

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Super excited for this game. I have surgery scheduled for the morning of the 8th so I wont be able to play until that night probably. Bright side is I'm taking the rest of that week off to recover. Havent been this hyped for a game in years.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

MobileVortex wrote:Here is a pretty cool mashup I found on /r/thedivision

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Super excited for this game. I have surgery scheduled for the morning of the 8th so I wont be able to play until that night probably. Bright side is I'm taking the rest of that week off to recover. Havent been this hyped for a game in years.
Awesome mashup! Good luck with the surgery hope all goes well :)
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote: Awesome mashup! Good luck with the surgery hope all goes well :)
Thanks! It should go fine, Nothing major, just going to have to take it easy for a few days.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

I was able to play a little bit before work, and I will be playing a little more tonight (job perk). If you have any questions let me know. My first note is character customization is a little light at first, especially if they want people to see this as a RPG. IT does seem to look better then it did in the open beta.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I dont think I'll get around to playing The Division any time soon. The game interests me, but to be honest the whole multiplayer element puts me off. Anyone know if it's a decent game to play solo?

In the meantime, in my short free time sessions I've been playing Stardew Valley, which is quite entertaining, and my daughter loves it as well.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

I would say you can defiantly enjoy the division solo. You can do all the PVE stuff solo. if you want to play with others, but dont want to communicate, there is matchmaking for pretty much everything. You can even wonder the DZ alone, tho you are going to want to play more carefully. I'm really enjoying this game, other then the AI not being that advanced. Maybe I'm just not a high enough level yet. I hope the end game is more then just a damage sponge boss, hopefully they throw some kind of spin on it.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

MobileVortex wrote:I would say you can defiantly enjoy the division solo. You can do all the PVE stuff solo. if you want to play with others, but dont want to communicate, there is matchmaking for pretty much everything. You can even wonder the DZ alone, tho you are going to want to play more carefully. I'm really enjoying this game, other then the AI not being that advanced. Maybe I'm just not a high enough level yet. I hope the end game is more then just a damage sponge boss, hopefully they throw some kind of spin on it.
^ Agreed. Reviews have been a mixed bag, although part of that is that gamers today are by and large whiny bitches. If you cannot appreciate the achievement that is The Division you need to stop gaming. It is by no means perfect, and I absolutely agree that the boss fights are wayyyy to Destiny-esque bullet sponge engagements, but the reproduction of Manhattan, the physics and overall game design and weapon design is excellent. In terms of story it is about what I was expecting for a shared world shooter/mmo/rpg. There is certainly more there than Destiny. The only thing Destiny has over The Division is Raiding. Beyond that The Division is a much better game.

Overall, the game is solid and enjoyable. It does need some tweaking and it seems like end game isn't quite as robust as it should be. That said, it is an enjoyable game and an impressive achievement that showcases how far we have come in gaming. In it's current state, I would give the game an 8 / 10.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

No Mans Sky comes out later this week (for PC, I think PS4 might already be out). I'm really looking forward to this:

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So spent several hours playing No Mans Sky on the PC today. Overall I think it's pretty good - it's the kind of game that I enjoy playinmg. I don't expect it's for everyone though.

I think for what it is it's a little overpriced. It's an indie game at heart, however has almost a "full" game price. I think the game is worth about $40 rather than $60.

I have some concerns already that it's pretty reptitive. I'm enjoying the game loop so far, but as to how long it'll keep my attention, I'm not sure. I kinda hope the devs keep adding to the game after release. I think there's plenty of rough edges to be smoothed out, and some relatively simple content additions could increase depth quite a bit I reckon.

And finally, despite all the concerns around the place that the PC version is shit - it's run almost flawlessly for me. I've had to restart a couple of times after an session a couple of hours long because it would massively slow down, but that's it really. Hysteria seems to be at high levels on various game forums, but really I don't think there are many huge problems with the game (though no doubt there are plenty of ways it could be improved technically).
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Been far too long since this thread had an update. On my playing list recently:

Subnautica: A survival/exploration game based on an alien water planet. Survival elements are pretty light, and steered by a pretty interesting, and utterly captivating world. Probably the best game in this genre I've played.

Slay The Spire: A single player card based game, with roguelike elements. I've played a bunch of card games, Hearthstone, MtG and the like, but none of them have kept me interested for overly long. Also the online aspect doesn't really appeal either. This game, being designed as a single player game really seems to hit a sweet spot, with interesting cards, and a layer of randomness that keeps it fresh.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance: A big open world RPG, however with no fantasy elements. Early days so far, and it seems pretty clunky - long load times, etc. Might wait for a few patches.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Have they fixed the saving in Kingdom Come? I have heard that it is not great.
Don't mow your lawn
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I got an xbox one x and installed Prey on it last month, yet to play it though.

Been spending more time playing SplitSecond which was a free game with gold this month, reminds me of Burnout 3 Takedown, which is my favourite racing game hands down.

Burnout paradise and its remaster can fuck off.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Have they fixed the saving in Kingdom Come? I have heard that it is not great.
i don't think they've fixed anything on it - haven't seen any patches yet. Saving seems to be limited to sleeping in beds, rather than whenever you like. I actually think this is more of a design decision, to enforce choices made during the game. I don't think it's ideal personally.
tys0n wrote:I got an xbox one x and installed Prey on it last month, yet to play it though.
Prey was excellent, though I never got around to finishing that one. Great System Shock vibes
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Well I guess they have fixed it, because originally it was done by drinking some potion you had to collect or buy. Somebody said they only found one during their first 3 hours.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Well I guess they have fixed it, because originally it was done by drinking some potion you had to collect or buy. Somebody said they only found one during their first 3 hours.
It's an alcoholic drink. I got one within the first 20 minutes.

I haven't really played it enough to say whether or not the save mechanism is a pain in the ass or not.
Edwardson
Maynard Believer

Post by Edwardson »

hellboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 pm
UndKeineZwEier wrote:Well I guess D-Bal Max works like a charm and they have fixed it, because originally it was done by drinking some potion you had to collect or buy. Somebody said they only found one during their first 3 hours.
It's an alcoholic drink. I got one within the first 20 minutes.

I haven't really played it enough to say whether or not the save mechanism is a pain in the ass or not.
I have to admit, I totally fell for this battle royale fad. I'm playing a lot of PUBG and Fortnite at the moment. Anyone else into BR games?
Last edited by Edwardson on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Started Oblivion today on my xbox one x, 3 hours in I'm impressed. Bethesda enhanced it for what ever reason? Looks amazing.

Planning on sinking 50+ hours into this, never played it obviously when it was released.

I'm loving going back to old games on this system, my most played game last year was Lost Odyssey, a game I got for free.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

OIblivion was a cool game when I played it back in the day. I think it's my least favorite of the modern Elder Scrolls games, but still many fun times were had. My main gripe was the monotony of the oblivion sections.

Interesting to see where the next Bethesda game goes - The Elder Scrolls Online was pretty mediocre