Video game news

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Video game news

Post by M0G »

Red Dead 2 is a very good game and does a number of things extremely well but it isn't the game of the decade masterpiece many are making it out to be. The controls are a clunky mess. Movement and combat are slow and sluggish and at times the game feels like a glorified horse riding simulator. The game is without question one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen on a console and plays flawlessly on the Xbox One X. The story, so far, has been extremely well written. The voice acting, dialogue, and sound production are top notch.

The problem here is that Rockstar is so damn stubborn when it comes to immersion that at times they sacrifice gameplay for it. You can have the most beautiful, immersive experience in the world but if it doesn't FEEL good to play than you are getting something wrong. The core gameplay mechanics should feel good. That is your baseline that you build around.

I am not saying RDR2 never feels good to play. In fact there are many elements that are very addictive and very enjoyable. But far too often I have found myself frustrated with poor combat mechanics and clunky movement.

Both Kotaku and Forbes have delivered excellent reviews that I think nail the overall gameplay experience. Worth a read.

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption- ... 1829984369

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... 52f3b74851

Below is a link to an article and a YouTube vid that I highly recommend for settings that you can change that make aiming/gunplay and general movement feel better:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... 818a35340f

The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Does Forbes still have a shitty paywall? I'm geared to automatically ignore news from that site.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:53 pm Does Forbes still have a shitty paywall? I'm geared to automatically ignore news from that site.
Nope. For awhile it had it set where if you didn't disable your ad blocker you couldn't read an article but that has gone away. I don't pay much attention to Forbes in general but their primary gaming journalist isn't have bad. Paul Tassi is his name. Not at the same level as a Jason Schreier or Kirk Hamilton but compared to most of the frauds out there covering gaming claiming to be actual journalists he isn't half bad. The Kotaku review though by Kirk Hamilton might be the best gaming review I have ever read.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I read the Kotaku one the other day, and agree it was a good review (though having not played the game I can't really comment on the opinion shown).
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

For some reason Sony has decided to do a full remake of Medievil. Attentive viewers will recall that this is the second time they've done this, the first being Medievil Ressurection on PSP, which was also a full, from the ground up remake of the original. Making this the third time this game has been made and released. Baffling.

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I don't even remember that game being released the first time.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Canned audience laughter
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I'd get it but I just blew my budget on the Ouya classic.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Wow, Far Cry is going post-apocalypse! What an exciting and original decision!
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff, so I'm interested. More of a surprise is that there's no FC Battle Royale yet.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It looks very similar to Rage 2 and I'm already exhausted.
Don't mow your lawn
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:47 pm I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff, so I'm interested. More of a surprise is that there's no FC Battle Royale yet.
Speaking of Post-Apocalyptic did you see Obsidian’s new game? Looks like Fallout New Vegas in space with a touch of Borderlands. Given Obsidian’s track record with Fallout I can’t help but be excited for this.

M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Oh and God of War won game of the year which was the correct decision btw. RDR2 great game, but God of War is simply better. Red Dead has some issues when it comes to combat mechanics and clunky controls. God of War is basically perfect in every category. Glad to see they got it right.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

M0G wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:34 am
muh dick

Also "From the original creators of Fallout"

Shots fired
Canned audience laughter
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Serious shots fired. This game looks sick. And now that Obsidian has that Microsoft money think of what they might come up with in the future. Bethesda has gotta be nervous Obsidian does the same style of game, but better, and now has the cash to do what they want.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Oh and speaking of Far Cry, Far Cry 5 is on sale for 50 percent off as a GOTY award show deal. I hadn’t played it but with Just Cause 4 and Fallout 76 being massive clusterfucks I figured what the hell might as well give FC 5 a go
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I tried Far Cry 4, gave it about 10 hours, not the game for me.
Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Mortal Kombat 11 revealed, coming April 2019

NetherRealm Studios finally unveils its new fighting game

The next Mortal Kombat is coming soon. Warner Bros. Interactive and NetherRealm Studios unveiled Mortal Kombat 11, the follow-up to 2015’s Mortal Kombat X, at The Game Awards today. The hyper-violent fighting game is coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One on April 23, 2019.

Mortal Kombat series co-creator Ed Boon revealed the first trailer for his new game today, showing a gory, bloody battle between Raiden and Scorpion. And then another Scorpion.

The trailer promised a full reveal of the game in January.

Mortal Kombat 11 Revealed With Trailer, Release Date, And Screenshots
I need it to get over here right now.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/morta ... 0-6463752/

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

More deals going on. I didn't realize just how many good games Xbox had on sale at the moment. Shadow of the Tomb Raider also 50 percent off. Man as disappointed as I was with Fallout 76 and Just Cause 4, the silver lining is now I have the time to be able to play two games I really wanted to check out but didn't think I could fit in, Far Cry 5 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

And wow is 2019 shaping up to be amazing. Anthem, Division 2, Far Cry New Dawn, Metro Exodus, The Outer Worlds, Cyberpunk 2077, Days Gone, Crackdown 3, Gears 5.

I was excited for Rage 2 and Doom Eternal but Bethesda is on my shit list right now. Doom Eternal I am less concerned about considering that is basically all iD...but Rage 2 is being developed by Avalanche with Bethesda, and with JC 4 being a dud and Bethesda being is disarray, that one has completely dropped off my radar.

Last of Us 2 looks more and more like 2020, possibly a show case game for the PS5. Borderlands 3 and Halo Infinite seem likely for 2020 as well. Starfield is probably in that 2020 list, but again, Bethesda has a hell of a lot of work to do to regain consumer trust after everything that has happened recently.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

M0G wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:01 pm
And wow is 2019 shaping up to be amazing. Cyberpunk 2077
Doubt it
Canned audience laughter
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

tys0n wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:20 pm
M0G wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:01 pm
And wow is 2019 shaping up to be amazing. Cyberpunk 2077
Doubt it
I actually think it will release next year because CD Projekt Red received Government grants in Poland for projects with an ending date of June 2019. Gonna be tricky trying to get an extension from the government of Poland. It's possible, but I think mid to late 2019 is about right.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Times change. DOOM is Eternal.

A quarter century has passed since DOOM was released to the unsuspecting masses. More than two decades later the franchise has spawned multiple sequels, spin-off titles, films, comics, and cemented itself as part of the pop culture lexicon. Over the next year we’re celebrating 25 years of ripping and tearing. Twenty-five years of mods, gibs, guns, and the most passionate, unwavering, and ardent fan base this side of Phobos. Whether you cut your teeth in 1993 or if DOOM (2016) was your first trip to Hell, we’re asking all DOOM Slayers past, present, and future to unite in celebrating one of entertainment’s most iconic franchises.

Welcome to the Year of DOOM.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Epic Games putting out their own launcher and Steam rival certainly has rustled a few jimmies around the place. I think probably in balance it's a good thing that other companies are starting to apply pressure to the near monopoly of Steam for PC gaming, though I kinda die a little on the inside when I realise I have other launchers for Uplay, Origin, BattleNet, GOG and probably others I've forgotten all on my PC.

The good news is that Epic are offering Subnautica for free, provided you "purchase" it prior December 27. Subnautica is probably my favorite game of 2018, so you could do a lot worse than pick this one up for nothing...

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It's worth pointing out that Epic Games store only takes a 12% cut of a game's sales as opposed to the 30% taken by Steam.

This has already pushed Discord to reduce their take to 10% for games sold on their store.

So it's definitely a good thing for the developers out there.
Don't mow your lawn
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Epic also does not allow customer reviews which is complete horeshit. Plus with them now having some exclusive titles that creates a situation for PC gamers that they are not used to having to deal with. Also from what I have read their platform needs a lot of work. Yes competition is always a good thing but the jury is still very much out on Epic’s new endeavor.