What are you PLAYING?

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: What are you PLAYING?

Post by hellboy »

Been spending some quality time with Surviving Mars recently. Excellent game.

Can't enough of Slay the Spire though - very well paced game. Hits the sweet spot between being a relaxed experience, yet being challenging enough you need to engage your brain. Being that I'm a much more casual gamer than I'd like, this sweet spot is important!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Plan on playing the new God of War which comes out on the 20th. Reviews have been mind boggling good so far, over 94 on metacritic, with some reviewers I highly respect calling it possibly one of the best games of the generation. Numerous 10 out of 10 reviews. Should be an interesting experience.
The most intelligent person on this forum
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Any follow up on this Mog? Was looking at Amazon and there's already 25 reviews all with 5 stars!?
Deftones!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

earthrocker wrote:Any follow up on this Mog? Was looking at Amazon and there's already 25 reviews all with 5 stars!?
A lot of people review things without having played them or having played much of them. Not knocking the game at all, just saying that you should take user reviews with a grain of salt especially this close to release.
Don't mow your lawn
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

earthrocker wrote:Any follow up on this Mog? Was looking at Amazon and there's already 25 reviews all with 5 stars!?
This game is remarkable. When I read some early reviews by some game journalists that I respect calling it the game of the generation I thought maybe it was being overhyped. I am about 6-8 hours in so far and this game was not overhyped it is a freaking work of art. It is Witcher 3 level good. This game is like a hybrid of the very best parts of Dark Souls, Last of Us, and Uncharted while being completely unique and undeniably a God of War game. It is the most beautiful game I have ever seen on a console. The combat is superb. The voice acting and plot development perfect. Pacing is perfect in every way. This game is in rarified air and will be one of those games that all others are measured against for some time to come. I cannot say enough good things about this game and about what Sony Santa Monica Studios have created. It is more than a video game it is high art.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

M0G wrote:. It is more than a video game it is high art.
https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journ ... ver-be-art
Canned audience laughter
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

M0G wrote:
This game is remarkable. When I read some early reviews by some game journalists that I respect calling it the game of the generation I thought maybe it was being overhyped. I am about 6-8 hours in so far and this game was not overhyped it is a freaking work of art. It is Witcher 3 level good. This game is like a hybrid of the very best parts of Dark Souls, Last of Us, and Uncharted while being completely unique and undeniably a God of War game. It is the most beautiful game I have ever seen on a console. The combat is superb. The voice acting and plot development perfect. Pacing is perfect in every way. This game is in rarified air and will be one of those games that all others are measured against for some time to come. I cannot say enough good things about this game and about what Sony Santa Monica Studios have created. It is more than a video game it is high art.
Nice one mate, lots of positive things there! Don't remember the last time a game was getting such positive feedback. One thing that this has made me realise is that having an Xbox for 4 years or so, it doesn't nowhere near compete in terms of QUALITY output of games made for the PS4 by the looks of things. (not taking into account multi platform games, Far Cry, Call of Duty etc).

Apart from Dying Light / Ori and the Blind Forest nothing has been done that cuts the mustard tbh and never liked your CoD's, Far Cry's (5 is total litter), Starwars Battlefront all that old shit.

Fuck it, I'm going to get a PS4.

Best games I've heard for the PS4 in the last few years - Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War.
Deftones!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

earthrocker wrote:
M0G wrote:
Nice one mate, lots of positive things there! Don't remember the last time a game was getting such positive feedback. One thing that this has made me realise is that having an Xbox for 4 years or so, it doesn't nowhere near compete in terms of QUALITY output of games made for the PS4 by the looks of things. (not taking into account multi platform games, Far Cry, Call of Duty etc).

Apart from Dying Light / Ori and the Blind Forest nothing has been done that cuts the mustard tbh and never liked your CoD's, Far Cry's (5 is total litter), Starwars Battlefront all that old shit.

Fuck it, I'm going to get a PS4.

Best games I've heard for the PS4 in the last few years - Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War.
I have both an Xbox One X an a PS4 Pro, and while the X is definitely the more powerful console and what I play on the most, there is no doubt that Sony dominates when it comes to exclusives. The level of quality in their exclusives is just so much higher than any XBox exclusives. Microsoft has put out this great console in the X but have no games that really highlight just what it is capable of. They can't just live off of Halo and Gears of War. They need to innovate and bring in top level talent. If they start pumping out solid exclusives we all win, as that will push Sony that much harder to keep innovating and creating fantastic games.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

MS do need to work on their game game. I haven't had a reason to buy an Xbox in years.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

You don't want to watch Netflix?
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I do, but I don't require an Xbox to do so
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Xbox is moving more towards a STEAM system, which I'm ok with.

If you want to play Xbox 'exclusive' games on your PC you need Windows 10, I wonder who owns that?
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Many people own Windows 10 I expect, myself included.

I do like the Xbox Game Pass concept though.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Yeah, but they actually need games for that to be worthwhile.
Don't mow your lawn
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

hellboy wrote:Many people own Windows 10 I expect, myself included.

I do like the Xbox Game Pass concept though.
I meant who owns Windows 10, as in Microsoft
Canned audience laughter
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

No, I'm pretty sure Hellboy owns Windows 10.
Don't mow your lawn
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Xbox needs a to focus on new IPs. Game pass and backwards compatibility are fine, and their play anywhere is solid for pc gamers, but they are still so far behind PS4. Inferior hardware in the OG Xbox One and a Kinect marketing disaster put them on the back foot, but what really separates the PS4 is Sony's commitment to top quality exclusives.

Microsoft also still finds themselves in a difficult situation from a hardware/development perspective. They are limited by the OG Xbox One. The One S was a good mid generation upgrade and the One X is a beast, but they are stuck because they still have so many of those inferior OG Units out there. It makes it difficult on developers because as they make new games they have to make sure their games will run adequately on those systems while also developing features that the more powerful X can take advantage of.

Sony doesn't have this problem. The PS4 is easier to write for and the OG PS4 hardware is better and they have done a great job optimizing for those older systems with system updates. It makes it way easier for developers to make innovative games that take full advantage of the power of the PS4 Pro while still running well on the PS4 and the Slim.

Again this is why it is critical that Microsoft develop strong new IPs. It is far easier for them to deal with optimization issues across all their systems internally while being able to fully utilize the power of their Azure cloud infrastructure and strong Xbox live platform.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

They definitely need new IP - Halo and GoW are completely played out at the moment.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

M0G wrote: The PS4 is easier to write for .
Citation needed
Canned audience laughter
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Yeah, but they actually need games for that to be worthwhile.
Like 154 games?

https://www.xbox.com/en-AU/games/xbox-game-pass
Canned audience laughter
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Most of those games are not even from the current gen. But like that's not what I meant. Microsoft needs to have good exclusives for the game pass to be worth anything, given that there's nothing stopping Sony from creating a similar service.
Don't mow your lawn
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Just finished God of War. Or at least the main story. Probably about another 8 hours of side quests and content left to complete. Can't say enough positive things about this game. 10/10 for sure. Without question one of the ten best games I have ever played.
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

M0G wrote:Just finished God of War. Or at least the main story. Probably about another 8 hours of side quests and content left to complete. Can't say enough positive things about this game. 10/10 for sure. Without question one of the ten best games I have ever played.
GoW definitely going onto the list. About to embark on a PS4 spree, cheap games!. What other games you recommend for PS4?

Heard great things about these - Last of Us, Uncharted 4 & Shadow of the Colossus
Last edited by earthrocker on Tue May 01, 2018 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deftones!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Pre-order nothing
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

earthrocker wrote:
M0G wrote:Just finished God of War. Or at least the main story. Probably about another 8 hours of side quests and content left to complete. Can't say enough positive things about this game. 10/10 for sure. Without question one of the ten best games I have ever played.
GoW definitely going onto the list. About to embark on a PS4 spree, cheap games!. What other games you recommend for PS4?

My list - Last of Us and Shadow of the Colossus of the recent ones.

Pre Order - Last of Us 2 and Red Dead Redemption, thoughts?
Last of Us 2 absolutely. Red Dead 2 depends on your taste. Apparently this Red Dead is going to be more kind of GTA meets the Wild West. I preferred the kind of story they told in the first Red Dead but I am sure RD2 is going to be an extremely well designed game. I will likely wait and see on RD2.

In 2019 I am really looking forward to Anthem, Division 2 and Borderlands 3 (fingers crossed on BL3 actually being ready to go. Hopefully they announce something at E3)

Bethesda also has that Starfield project they will likely announce at E3. Some kind of space RPG possibility. Interested to see what it is actually going to be.