What are you PLAYING?

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: What are you PLAYING?

Post by hellboy »

I'm pretty sure I've got several copies of that game too. Seems to pop up in bundles all the time.

It was a pretty cool game, though I never got all that far into it.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I've been playing Hyper Light Drifter. It can be a little confusing and frustrating sometimes, but the gameplay is great. It makes you learn the timings of the controls, which are fairly nuanced, making it impossible to button mash your way through. It's tough but rewarding once you get it down. It also has one of the best visual aesthetics of any sprite game I've played, with a subtle yet compelling plot to boot.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

The Fractured But Whole, spent 5 hours today playing this, loving it.

If I get three weekends out of it I'm sold.

So many little easter eggs for South Park fans, and I'm pretty sure I could get sent to jail here in OZ for what Cartman has drawn in his journal.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Games I've been playing lately:

* No Man's Sky - much improved with the recent updates, but still probably a bit of an acquired taste (a taste that I have)
* Dead Cells
* Slay The Spire
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I purchased Fallout New Vegas for the 360 for like $10 just now, then spent $4.95 on each of the 4 expansion packs as xbox doesn't have a goty edition.

I don''t even know if they will work on the Xbox one x

eh
Canned audience laughter
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Finished Read Dead Redemption 2 and almost done with AC Odyssey. Currently playing Fallout 76 and looking forward to Red Dead online in late November and Just Cause 4 in December. Should be enough to hold me over until Anthem and Division 2 are out in Feb/March.

So far my game of the year is still God of War. RDR2 is an amazing game, but the clunky controls, combat and movement hold it back from overtaking God of War for the top spot.
The most intelligent person on this forum
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I purchased Fallout New Vegas and all the DLC for a total of $30 last night drunk.

Then I realised I still have the 360 disc.

Oh well.

Will play that again after I finish RDR2, I've been playing for 3 weekends now and still haven't finished the first chapter. I wish there was some kind of reward other than money for clearing a poker table though and I have no idea how dominoes work.
Canned audience laughter
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Does anyone have insight to the Just Cause games?
Think 4 is out next week.

Any other PS4 suggestions? Sold R2D2. Too slow for me.

Looks like it’ll be a wait till next year for anything potentially decent !
Deftones!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Just Cause 2 is probably in my top 5 games of all time, I had a fucking BLAST playing it.

Just Cause 3 was a step back with too much filler but I still enjoyed it, I think the splitting of the teams at the studio working on that and Mad Max might have been the cause.

I say give Just Cause 2 a spin or even 3, you can pick them up so cheaply, like under 10 bucks and if you like it you know what to do.

If you're asking the basic premise, you are a one man demolition team blowing up military bases and civilian sites and I mean BLOWING EVERYTHING THE FUCK UP using guns, cars, planes, bombs, grappling hooks,boats, helicopters and whatever else is at your disposal to do so.

Think back to your childhood playing with plastic army men and this is basically the realization of that imaginative thought.

Anyway FUCK WING SUITS
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just Cause 3 is great, and probably a better option for many since it's a bit higher fidelity. I think Just Cause 2 is the better game though, and fun is a bit simpler and more accessible. It's like splitting hairs though - both are great fun.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I am super excited for Just Cause 4. Just Cause 3 was a a nightmare on console but with the new engine and solid optimization that doesn't look like it will be a problem with JC 4. I just watched some gameplay today on the XBox One X and PS4 Pro and the framerate is stable. I have been following this game fairly closely and I am super impressed with the amount of upgrades made to systems and new features being implemented. I cannot wait to fly around blow shit up.

I have messed around a bit with RDR 2 online and it is not bad but I am not sure I will spend much time with it. I do enjoy always online/shared world/multiplayer games but RDR works better for me as a single player experience. RDR Online is basically GTA Online in the West, which is great if that is your thing. If I want to play a shared world multiplayer game I would go back to Destiny, but after thousands of hours between D1 and D2 I am ready for a new experience in the looter/shooter shared world realm. That is why I am really hoping Anthem delivers and so far with the way Bioware is constantly engaging the community and doing live streams and being open about their process I have a lot of hope the game will deliver. Even if it doesn't Division 2 is out in March and I will sink hundreds of hours into that I am sure.
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

tys0n wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:12 am If you're asking the basic premise, you are a one man demolition team blowing up military bases and civilian sites and I mean BLOWING EVERYTHING THE FUCK UP using guns, cars, planes, bombs, grappling hooks,boats, helicopters and whatever else is at your disposal to do so.
:lol: profound

Thanks fellas. I'll check it out probably go straight for JC4. Apparently there is a enormous tornado on every map. Lots of cool weather elements too.

Anthem seems to be getting some mixed comments
Deftones!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Sounds like Just Cause 4 is a wonky bugfest on launch. If memory serves JC3 was pretty buggy at launch too.

Probably worth holding off for a few patches before buying
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I payed $59 for JC3 at launch and in a few months it was in the bargain bin.

I'll be waiting for JC4 to be sub $20 this time, plenty of other stuff to play.
Canned audience laughter
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:26 pm Sounds like Just Cause 4 is a wonky bugfest on launch. If memory serves JC3 was pretty buggy at launch too.

Probably worth holding off for a few patches before buying
What have you been reading? So far across the board every review I have read has been very positive when it comes to performance. Bugs don’t really seem to be an issue here. There are a few issues with some of the systems and missions in terms of design decisions but they strike me as nitpicky. I will play this for myself this evening and give my own first impressions but again, from everything I have read, this seems to be a huge improvement over JC3.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:36 am
What have you been reading?
Reddit mostly. Haven't read any reviews yet.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:17 am
M0G wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:36 am
What have you been reading?
Reddit mostly. Haven't read any reviews yet.
Well clearly the reviews I read/watched were pc focused or just complete horseshit because Just Cause 4 on console is a fucking joke. On PC things are better, but again on console this is awful. Framerate isn’t bad but textures, facial animations, NPC animation, just fucking awful. I cannot begin to comprehend how they could not optimize this on the Xbox One X, which is powerful enough to run games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey flawlessly. It is literally almost fucking comical how piss poor this is on console. I could even understand the game performing this poorly on the OG Xbox, but not on the One X. No fucking excuse. I completely understand why anything above 30fps might be problematic on any console because of CPU limitations, but the GPU in the X is a beast and there is no excuse for the graphics being this fucking bad.

I don’t think the game is buggy either. It simply looks like shit on console. It is clear Avalanche cannot design games to run on console, even on mid generation improvements like the One X and PS4 Pro. This shit is getting really old. I don’t give a flying fuck how it performs on the OG Xbox One, One S, or OG PS4. Not my problem. But I goddamn expect a game to perform well on the One X and PS4 Pro. Absolutely no fucking excuse. Too many other games have been released that perform extremely well on the One X and PS4 Pro. It is clearly a lack of competency with some developers. If they want to focus on pc then fucking do that and leave console development to people who know what the fuck they are doing.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

lol so glad I didn't buy it now but then again I never really had that much of a problem with JC3 on the xbone and I got it a week after release.

Edit: Just did some reading up on it, Square sent out the console review copies 'late' and the game doesn't have any throwable explosives like grenades etc

Feels good being right that they haven't learned a gosh darn thing after 3, but the worst part is they have seemed to have regressed
Canned audience laughter
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

Thanks Mog. You saved me 50 quid. Ta!

Bring on Doom Eternal.
Deftones!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I look forward to picking up JC4 for $10 on sale after they patched most of the shittiness out of it.

In the meantime I've been playing American Truck Simulator. Good times!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thing about review sites, is that they are generally pretty forgiving of technical errors in new release games. It's just part of the system, as they largely have to review unpatched games. All they can really do is judge the game on it's gameplay systems, and hope the technical ones are largely sorted post release.

Most JC4 reviews I've seen seem to rate it at around the 70% mark - probably what I expected for a game that really is a bit more like an HD JC3.5 than a full blown sequel.

That said not all games need to be 10/10s to be enjoyable. There's certainly fun to be had in games that aren't perfect.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 am Thing about review sites, is that they are generally pretty forgiving of technical errors in new release games. It's just part of the system, as they largely have to review unpatched games. All they can really do is judge the game on it's gameplay systems, and hope the technical ones are largely sorted post release.

Most JC4 reviews I've seen seem to rate it at around the 70% mark - probably what I expected for a game that really is a bit more like an HD JC3.5 than a full blown sequel.

That said not all games need to be 10/10s to be enjoyable. There's certainly fun to be had in games that aren't perfect.
To be fair I think most people who understand gaming are fairly understanding of some level of technical errors in new release games. Day One patches are the norm and that is what we have come to expect. No Day One patch with JC4. This game has been done for awhile. Avalanche decided it was acceptable to release this game on console in this state, the same way Bethesda decided to release Fallout 76 in the state it was in. Maybe it is just industry fatigue from the Fallout 76 nightmare but that doesn't give Just Cause 4 and Avalanche a free pass.

Yes Avalanche have, for the most part, resolved the framerate issue, although it is by no means perfect. What we have here are fundamental issues with with facial animations, NPC design, texture issues (texture pop), motion blur and anti aliasing problems, etc etc etc...the game simply looks awful on console.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

And here is my xbox year in review, RDR2 isn't showing up but apparently there is a weird cut off

I did not expect those hours for Oblivion, I haven't even started the DLC yet
Canned audience laughter
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

South Park?!
Deftones!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Yes South Park, they have released two decent games the past 5? years.
Canned audience laughter