Music/Media manager/player

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
basejumper
Droner

Music/Media manager/player

Post by basejumper »

What programs do you use to manage and play your music/media files? What operating system do you have? What are some of the pros and cons of your setup?

Thanks
Professor of Lesbian Science
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: Music/Media manager/player

Post by not tyson »

I've converted to foobar.

Open folder, select, play.

Minimal with no bells and whistles.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

FooBar's example screenshot - main page

basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Not Tyson wrote:I've converted to foobar.

Open folder, select, play.

Minimal with no bells and whistles.
Does it play all file types? What do you use for a portable music player? Is this only for Windows machines? **edit - found that info
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Foobar is excellent, but it may take some work to get it how you like it. If you are the kind that likes to tweak the configuration and look of your player, then Foobar is definitely the best option.

As far as managing media goes, what are your expectations? Something that automatically tags and sorts music for you? I hear Media Monkey is great if that is your focus. Doing this kind of stuff is certainly doable in Foobar with the right plugins, but it's more work.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

basejumper wrote:
Does it play all file types? What do you use for a portable music player? Is this only for Windows machines? **edit - found that info
It plays all the common formats out of the box, and will play almost anything else with plugins.

I don't listen to much music on a portable device, but when I do I connect my iPod Shuffle to Foobar using an ipod sync plugin (foo_dop from memory). It works fine with my shuffle, but form what I hear isn't so great with iPhones and modern iPods. If you're using a media player in which you just copy shit across to a mounted drive rather, then there's plenty of tools that can do that.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

program?

does not compute in the real world.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.