Yet another Danny interview

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Sick of Tool interviews yet? I know I feel like I've spent all day reading and posting them. This one is from The Rock FM which is a New Zealand radio station. Tracy had a chat to Danny about a range of topics which you can listen to here. For those not willing/able to listen, here are the main points:

Danny has recently done some recording with Jason Bonham and 12 other drummers for the upcoming Superman movie
There is plenty of material recorded, and footage available for a live album/DVD. It's not on the radar at the moment but will probably happen sometime in the future.
They're trying to concentrate on the new album for now, and Justin seems to be the main driving force behind this particular album
Tool hoped to play in Christchurch as well, but a lack of a suitable venue not earthquake damaged was a problem.
Danny still hopes they can release a new album this year

Interesting interview, it's only 6:32 and is worth your time.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Very interesting.  I'll have to check it out later on.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

There is plenty of material recorded, and footage available for a live album/DVD. It's not on the radar at the moment but will probably happen sometime in the future.

They're trying to concentrate on the new album for now, and Justin seems to be the main driving force behind this particular album

Anyone else as moist as a fourteen year old girl at a Beiber concert?

(EDIT: That was damn-near impossible to quote properly. This is the first time the quote-system has fucked me so hard.)
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

sounds fucking great.....as for the beiber comment " yea why not"
go taff!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

"Justin seems to be the main driving force"

Isn't that what they said about 10,000 Days?

I'm digging all these interviews. It's quite a rare occurrence for us Tool fans.
Hey! Denty!
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

Totally with you Raven. Getting a couple interviews at one time is like Christmas in February for us. Kinda sad when this band gives you so little that interviews seem this exciting! Funny stuff.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Danny talking about still releasing the album this year? LOL Apparently he didn't hear Jimmy's Chile Radio interview.  Didn't he say, "no new disk this year"....Piles of bullshit stacking up higher and higher.

@Void - I can't believe you of all people are flipping your shit over what amounts to really no new news at all.  But if it works then hey go with it.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

I always like hearing from Danny. Seems like you either hear interviews from Danny or Maynard. Justin or Adam, not so much. I think we all know how most Maynard interviews go...he's just not into them and comes off cold and doesn't really elaborate too much. I can understand that though, always fielding the same type of questions would get old. However, when you hear from Danny, he always seems to give off good info. The quote about Justin being a driving force sounds great. The bass an drum elements are my favorite aspects to Tools music. C'mon...the bass lines to Reflection and Schism are fucking tits.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

mogeffingmog said
Danny talking about still releasing the album this year? LOL Apparently he didn't hear Jimmy's Chile Radio interview.  Didn't he say, "no new disk this year"....Piles of bullshit stacking up higher and higher

I think you're too hung up on this one issue.  I doubt the Tool members themselves really know when the album will be about, so rather than treating everything like bullshit, it'd make more sense to consider it a guess.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

If Danny Carey says it's gonna happen then rest assured that it WON'T.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said

mogeffingmog said
Danny talking about still releasing the album this year? LOL Apparently he didn't hear Jimmy's Chile Radio interview.  Didn't he say, "no new disk this year"....Piles of bullshit stacking up higher and higher

I think you're too hung up on this one issue.  I doubt the Tool members themselves really know when the album will be about, so rather than treating everything like bullshit, it'd make more sense to consider it a guess.

*knight threatens pawn*
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

*pisses on the chess table*

Fuck Tool.  Danny is still cool tho.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

Good to hear any news! Being a bass player and hearing justin is a driving force is really exciting. I always go back to 10KD to hear his amazing shit....but lately, ive been trippin' on adams guitar...he's a monster. Love it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

DRURY said
Good to hear any news! Being a bass player and hearing justin is a driving force is really exciting. I always go back to 10KD to hear his amazing shit....but lately, ive been trippin' on adams guitar...he's a monster. Love it.

I couldn't agree more. Once I started learning bass back in the "LATERALUS" era, it was like a whole new world had opened up for me. I tend to go more to "LATERALUS" and "AENIMA" for my bass fix, but that's probably because of the memories I have associated with those albums.

Really interesting to hear that Justin is the driving force for this album. I'm not sure which way to approach that comment, except with unbridled enthusiasm.

If Danny had said that it was a 'Nard album, I probably would've made myself deaf just so that I could guarantee never having to hear it.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

for a second i thought 'wow.... crows actually being positive'
go taff!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

crow011 said
I tend to go more to "LATERALUS" and "AENIMA" for my bass fix, but that's probably because of the memories I have associated with those albums.

I think Schism and Disposition/Reflection alone could do that. I'm obviously biased, but he really is pound for pound one of the greatest bass players I've ever heard. Truly unique.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Danny has been pretty straight up ininterviews or rynnes radio show concerning tool news the last couple of years or so... if you havent learned by now Maynard is a douche (even calls himself that0 about any of that so i wouldnt worry about what he says. listen to Danny and you'll be fine

Justin was pretty prominent on 10,000 days although i think thats their weakest album. not cause of Justin but it still feels like half an an album to me. if u get a chance to see Tool up close get in front of Justin, you'll see how much he does! i knew he was good but the back to back shows i saw in 2009 i was in front of him very close both nights and man that guy goes all over the place with that bass! he really is better then he gets credit for.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Im surprised everyone is getting so excited over this rather large influx of tool propaganda.Same shit different day if you ask me. We will be in the studio soon and no more tours until the album is done.Another tour announced and nowhere near the studio and you lot still lap it up? Am I missing something?
nicholas
Maynard Believer

Post by nicholas »

Posted under another feed about a week ago, but don't think anyone saw it. Spin lists Tool under Most Anticipated Albums of 2013. That doesn't set it in stone (more like "wet concrete" perhaps?), and it doesn't give an album title, but it's the most solid proof I've seen thus far.
http://www.spin.com/articles/50-albums- ... s?slide=31
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

ToolUser said
Im surprised everyone is getting so excited over this rather large influx of tool propaganda.Same shit different day if you ask me. We will be in the studio soon and no more tours until the album is done.Another tour announced and nowhere near the studio and you lot still lap it up? Am I missing something?

No sir you are not missing anything.  In fact Brother TU you are seeing the light.  Much ado about nothing.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

Lateralus blows AENIMA away in the bass dept. he gets better at his craft with each album. i love the tone he gets on Lat.
Why not a fan of 10KD though? The bass is monstrous and he does amazing stuff on every song....
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

@Mog. I'm not "flipping my shit" over interviews. But it's cool to actually hear details about some of the songs they're working on is all.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

DRURY said
Lateralus blows AENIMA away in the bass dept. he gets better at his craft with each album. i love the tone he gets on Lat.
Why not a fan of 10KD though? The bass is monstrous and he does amazing stuff on every song....

Agreed completely.  Justin absolutely shines on 10,000 Days.

I personally love 10,000 Days but I get why some don't like it as much.  It is more experimental certainly, probably a bit less cohesive than any of their prior releases, which I do think was on purpose.  They covered more ground musically in 10,000 Days, which is not a judgment call, just a fact.  Undertow, Aenima, and Lateralus all flow better from start to finish.

I am surprised when I see people say they hate 10,000 Days.  I find it difficult to comprehend that any Tool fan could actually HATE a Tool release.  I mean it's still Tool.  It still sounds like Tool.  At the same time though I think it is absolutely fucking dumb to wax poetic on someone just because they don't like an album.  Even more ridiculous to actually belittle someone over it like that dumb shit did to Crow.

Tool fans are fucking strange man.  I have seen all types over these 21 years now and man do some of them get butthurt at the slightest critical remark about the band or one of their albums.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

void said
@Mog. I'm not "flipping my shit" over interviews. But it's cool to actually hear details about some of the songs they're working on is all.

Just busting your balls dude.  I was having a little too much fun yesterday.  I couldn't help it.  Peeps flipping out over a bunch of the same.  Still writing, no release date.  OK.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^True.  The bottom line is that you are correct.

But we finally got something.  I'm not doing cartwheels or anything but I must admit yesterday was a good "Tool" day for me.  Even heard an album of theirs (10,000 Days) for the first time in a couple months because of it.
Hey! Denty!