Second Melbourne Tool show?

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Terry posted on Facebook today that he noticed the recent Ticketek newsletter showed two Tool dates for Melbourne - the existing one on the 27th, and then a second on the 28th Nothing official has been announced, but it wouldn't come as a huge shock to me to see a second show confirmed in the next few days.

spiral2spiral
Bronco's Fan

Post by spiral2spiral »

Ticketek dropped the ball way back in 2006 too, in the leadup to the 2007 tour - Leaked the Sydney date for a few minutes on the website well before the tour was officially announced.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Well, if that's true I should probably go if I'm in town for the Saturday show. Nice weekend in Melbourne if they can get Tool to play Sat & Sun. Anyway, that will probably mean I have a spare ticket for the Sat show which I'll gladly sell to any person here for below cost price (e.g. $80 - $90 or there abouts). Just pm me if they add the Sunday show etc. Cheers!
brokenchimes
Maynard Believer

Post by brokenchimes »

Maynard's voice is shot like none other. He can't even record properly.
Look forward to seeing the set list but I'd cringe to bear his vocals live right now. Hopefully it will pass and his range will only normally suck.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

brokenchimes said
Maynard's voice is shot like none other. He can't even record properly.
Look forward to seeing the set list but I'd cringe to bear his vocals live right now. Hopefully it will pass and his range will only normally suck.

I don't think his voice will ever get back to the way it was back in the 90s & early 2000s.  That said his vocals on the last tour here to Oz were excellent, much better than I expected.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Yeah all things considered, his vocals were pretty damned great the last two tours.
brokenchimes
Maynard Believer

Post by brokenchimes »

Hope so. I guess it all depends on the songs chosen and how into it he is. It's gonna be a great run for sure I'd bet due to the timing and location. I was impressed in '10, not so much in '12. I worry more with each passing tour how much longer he can legitimately pull it off. I guess it can go on forever as long as he's ok with it. Ozzy still performs and his voice cracks almost every other note.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

brokenchimes said
Hope so. I guess it all depends on the songs chosen and how into it he is. It's gonna be a great run for sure I'd bet due to the timing and location. I was impressed in '10, not so much in '12. I worry more with each passing tour how much longer he can legitimately pull it off. I guess it can go on forever as long as he's ok with it. Ozzy still performs and his voice cracks almost every other note.

Well, I'm gonna have to disagree with you once more somewhat.  Maynard voice was pretty average back on the original 10k Days tour in 2007, but his voice was excellent in 2011.  And bootlegs of the 2012 shows I've watched as well confirm that it was just as good during that tour.
brokenchimes
Maynard Believer

Post by brokenchimes »

I agree that it got better later for some reason. Definitely better in '10 than what I saw in '07.
brokenchimes
Maynard Believer

Post by brokenchimes »

Wasnt he using some bird chirping device after 10,000 days to make his voice higher? And then he's been getting a lot of relief using the megaphone. That mixed with only doing short runs at a time probably preserves his chords for a fresh performance, that couldn't persist for any long period of time. That shouldn't have any effect on the upcoming tour however since its short, and he's also laying off the wine that he claims has an affect on his range.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

brokenchimes said
Wasnt he using some bird chirping device after 10,000 days to make his voice higher? And then he's been getting a lot of relief using the megaphone. That mixed with only doing short runs at a time probably preserves his chords for a fresh performance, that couldn't persist for any long period of time. That shouldn't have any effect on the upcoming tour however since its short, and he's also laying off the wine that he claims has an affect on his range.

He's certainly using a megaphone for parts in Third Eye, Hooker With A Penis and Ticks & Leeches (parts which I imagine are now out of his range).  From what I've noticed listening to bootlegs, his ability to scream is limited, his ability to "sing" high notes seems ok, but his ability to scream high notes is where he really struggles.  Sadly I think the high screaming parts are the ones Tool fans enjoy most, which is where I think a lot of the concern for his vocal range comes from.
brokenchimes
Maynard Believer

Post by brokenchimes »

To me his voice on a whole has just gotten lower with aging. And yeah he can't do those long winded screams and yells, which is too bad cuz I'm sure that's what he naturally wants to gravitate towards when singing over faster heavy riffs. Maybe that could be a holdup for him, who knows. He wants to give a good performance, and he has to improvise more and more it seems.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

brokenchimes said
To me his voice on a whole has just gotten lower with aging. And yeah he can't do those long winded screams and yells, which is too bad cuz I'm sure that's what he naturally wants to gravitate towards when singing over faster heavy riffs. Maybe that could be a holdup for him, who knows. He wants to give a good performance, and he has to improvise more and more it seems.

A voice matures with age.  I think Maynard is well aware of what he can and cannot do with regards to range.  Remember, too, he doesn't want to sound like shit, either, and if it means hitting a third lower than the original note than so be it.  
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
brokenchimes
Maynard Believer

Post by brokenchimes »

Live, it's understandable. Even though I'm sure his challenges vocally get more and more frustrating for him to tend to (giving up drinking wine on stage..thats like, his thing!).
Off subject but im starting to think that it's become difficult for his creative and recording process in Tool. Plus Adam of course is jerkin nardos nerves by purposely writing a heavy record! Rofl
brokenchimes
Maynard Believer

Post by brokenchimes »

09 i know they had the same setlist and everyone was like wtf. Its also the tour maynard cimplained about getting ill from the road in his movie and seemed pretty close to throwin in. You can't expect someone to not get older. They are getting older, and it's noticeable. I don't even think they aren't as good, they just can't pull everything off theyd like to or that they used to. It's got an element of respect to it. At the same time theyre still going strong and it's impossible not to have a worry radar out. I want that album! I want to see this tour and a couple tours after to flourish and never disappoint. Not expectation just hope. I think they've ruled out ever expecting anything ever.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

NZ'er here, I notice on the day before tickets went on sale that the Ticketmaster site was showing two Auckland shows as well - on the 8th and 9th. However by the 14th it had reverted back to the one show.

So either there's a glitch in the system or there will indeed be second shows announced if the first ones sell out.
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

With the gap between all shows, it seems fairly apparent there will be 2nd shows announced, pending ticket sales. Would be silly not to, when it effectively is a cash grab tour.. 
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

The potential second shows will depend on how quickly they sell out the first shows etc. It's just frustrating sometimes when a show doesn't quite sell out or no one is interested in buying the last crappy seats because they are hoping a second show will be announced (and the promoters hesitate on adding other shows as a result). Hopefully the Melbourne, Sydney and Auckland shows all sell out or sell strongly by Tuesday afternoon/Wednesday morning so they can announce second shows in each city for the respective following days (Sun April 28, Sat May 4 and Thu May 9). Hopefully...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I honestly hope you guys enjoy the show. I really mean it.

I've (obviously) had my moments with TOOL, but seeing them live is a solid way to spend a few hours.

Much love, dudes. Go nuts.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.