Re: Random 'A Perfect Circle' Social Media Thread

Post by hellboy »

lukas wrote:let us not forget that MJK made a song with 30 seconds to mars
Did he? If so I've completely forgotten it
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

He did background vocals on one of their songs from their debut, but I think that may have been because Danny Lohner did the "programming" on that track.
Don't mow your lawn
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

APC & 30 Seconds to Mars are similar tbh and I say that as a fan of both
Canned audience laughter
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I agree, and I am not a 30 Seconds to Mars fan. They are both definitely early 00s alt rock bands.
Don't mow your lawn
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

he sang the chorus:

i wonder if he regrets it. just look what they've become:
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/event/rad ... d100231659
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

APC have been on some pretty shitty festival lineups - they can't really take the high ground there.

30 Seconds to Mars only real crime is being dreadfully mediocre, and probably wouldn't be of any real note except for Leto.
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

lukas wrote:he sang the chorus:
how certain are we of this? it doesn't really sound like Maynard to me.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

He's not singing the lead in the chorus, he's singing the echoed background parts on the line "Weak fallen man" and then all the lines in the final chorus.
Don't mow your lawn
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

tys0n wrote:APC & 30 Seconds to Mars are similar tbh and I say that as a fan of both
Yeah I agree, and I am a fan of both as well. APC are much better, but 30 seconds is still good. The drummer is solid, and there are some real gems in there. Although I totally understand why people would be turned off by them. You kind of have to embrace the pop aspect of their music, but there is good pop out there.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I don't mind pop music in it's own right. Often when it's blended with other genres though, the result is that the non-pop genre just watered down and bland.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Interesting promo blurb for the new album:
Fourteen years after being cryogenically frozen as part of an experimental partnership between the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame and Dairy Queen, guitarist Billy Howerdel has been successfully reanimated. He has since reunited with his band A Perfect Circle, ready for their massively anticipated new album, 'Eat the Elephant!'

"It was really relaxing," said Howerdel of his decade-plus spent suspended in cryopreservation. "You know, not having to respond to fan mail or write songs or eat or pee or do anything really."

Maynard James Keenan, vocalist and co-writer for A Perfect Circle, was on hand for Howerdel's unfreezing ceremony at the Dairy Queen in Wickenburg, AZ. The musician noted that while it was wonderful to have his bandmate back at 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit again, helping him acclimate to life in 2018 has been challenging. "When he heard that Prince, David Bowie and Amy Winehouse all died, but Creed and the guys from 3 Doors Down are still around, I didn't think he was going to recover," said Keenan, who in addition to singing with a Perfect Circle, also fronts the bands Tool and Puscifer. "He was a big fan of Surreal Life and The Apprentice, too, and, well, I just don't have the heart to tell him what the hell happened there."

Howerdel believes Eat the Elephant may well be A Perfect Circle's finest work to date. "We hope the established rock critics at the major magazines and newspapers really embrace this album," he said. "It'd be great to get a mention in SPIN or Blender, but let's face it, when it comes to reaching fans — especially teenagers — nothing is more important than the opinions of middle-aged white men at our nation's great newspapers. That happens, and this CD will be flying off the shelves at Tower Records and Sam Goody!"
Howerdel added that in addition to print media, the band plans to heavily promote Eat the Elephant on its MySpace page.

"We haven't told him about any of that stuff yet either," added Keenan, who has also secretly pursued a career as beloved electro-crossover sensation Moby. "You have to do it in stages or he gets overwhelmed. How do you explain that every entitled idiot with an iPhone now has the power to immediately express their uninformed mean-spirited opinions under the banner of 'journalism'? "What's an iPhone?" asked Howerdel.

With a title like Eat The Elephant, A Perfect Circle's new record has clear political overtones that Keenan admits could stir up controversy. It's something he's all too familiar with — back in 2003, when he was fronting the Dixie Chicks as his alter ego Natalie Maines, Keenan landed in hot water after making disparaging remarks about President Bush. "Boy, was I ever wrong about that guy," he said, shaking his head. "What I wouldn't give to have ol' W back in the White House right now."
I think that must be the one that Maynard was referring to in the last Rolling Stone interview.

Also, you can now pre-order the album at JB-Hifi here in Oz and go into the running for a trip to Dallas to see the band: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-H ... yl/576837/
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Hahaha, holy shit
Don't mow your lawn
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Sounds like it was written by Blair

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I loulzed
Hey! Denty!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:Interesting promo blurb for the new album:
Fourteen years after being cryogenically frozen as part of an experimental partnership between the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame and Dairy Queen, guitarist Billy Howerdel has been successfully reanimated. He has since reunited with his band A Perfect Circle, ready for their massively anticipated new album, 'Eat the Elephant!'

"It was really relaxing," said Howerdel of his decade-plus spent suspended in cryopreservation. "You know, not having to respond to fan mail or write songs or eat or pee or do anything really."

Maynard James Keenan, vocalist and co-writer for A Perfect Circle, was on hand for Howerdel's unfreezing ceremony at the Dairy Queen in Wickenburg, AZ. The musician noted that while it was wonderful to have his bandmate back at 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit again, helping him acclimate to life in 2018 has been challenging. "When he heard that Prince, David Bowie and Amy Winehouse all died, but Creed and the guys from 3 Doors Down are still around, I didn't think he was going to recover," said Keenan, who in addition to singing with a Perfect Circle, also fronts the bands Tool and Puscifer. "He was a big fan of Surreal Life and The Apprentice, too, and, well, I just don't have the heart to tell him what the hell happened there."

Howerdel believes Eat the Elephant may well be A Perfect Circle's finest work to date. "We hope the established rock critics at the major magazines and newspapers really embrace this album," he said. "It'd be great to get a mention in SPIN or Blender, but let's face it, when it comes to reaching fans — especially teenagers — nothing is more important than the opinions of middle-aged white men at our nation's great newspapers. That happens, and this CD will be flying off the shelves at Tower Records and Sam Goody!"
Howerdel added that in addition to print media, the band plans to heavily promote Eat the Elephant on its MySpace page.

"We haven't told him about any of that stuff yet either," added Keenan, who has also secretly pursued a career as beloved electro-crossover sensation Moby. "You have to do it in stages or he gets overwhelmed. How do you explain that every entitled idiot with an iPhone now has the power to immediately express their uninformed mean-spirited opinions under the banner of 'journalism'? "What's an iPhone?" asked Howerdel.

With a title like Eat The Elephant, A Perfect Circle's new record has clear political overtones that Keenan admits could stir up controversy. It's something he's all too familiar with — back in 2003, when he was fronting the Dixie Chicks as his alter ego Natalie Maines, Keenan landed in hot water after making disparaging remarks about President Bush. "Boy, was I ever wrong about that guy," he said, shaking his head. "What I wouldn't give to have ol' W back in the White House right now."
I think that must be the one that Maynard was referring to in the last Rolling Stone interview.

Also, you can now pre-order the album at JB-Hifi here in Oz and go into the running for a trip to Dallas to see the band: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-H ... yl/576837/
Finest work to date? BWHAHAAH

[youtube][/youtube]

^ That is A Perfect Circle at it's finest. If any of you think this walk like Jesus bullshit is even in the same universe as that you are out of your fucking minds
The most intelligent person on this forum
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

the blurb comes from Kerrang article.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

hey guys,

there is a big APC interview (mostly with maynard) in today's issue of VISIONS (the biggest german rock magazine). it's a good, informative read.

here are some highlights that might be of interest for you:

-DLM is only an interlude. so there won't be too many new "full" songs you haven't heard yet. get the lead out is something like a long outro. piano, puscifer like electronic , some vox.
-by and down the river is - as i've speculated :P - indeed a new, different and (according to the interviewer) better version of the song. super weird autotune like voices that are in fact mjks real voice
-eat the elephant is a very discrete, minimalistic song. only a drumcomputer and some piano.
-MJK again explains why he repeatedly says "i've got nothing for you" when being asked about any of his projects (tool). as long as they haven't crossed the actual finish line, there is nothing to say for him.
-MJK has a small appartment in LA. either there or back in some special place in arizona is the place where he is alone and writes songs. sometimes several songs a week.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Some of that minimalist, electronic stuff sounds promising....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thanks for the insight Lukas - I always assumed Maynard had some kind of property in LA still. Even though he talks up living in AZ, no doubt he spends a significant chunk of time there as well.

I'm looking forward to the new APC album.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

you are welcome. the rest of the interview is mostly stuff we already know:
-his opinion on religion, politics, society
-the song writing process in general. this time, mjk took a lot of stuff away then gave it back to billy who kept it that way. see the middle part of disillusioned. according to the interviewer who has heard the full album, this is how the first 3 songs sound like. the album slowly builds up and gains momentum.
-the album title eat the elephant is not so much about politics, rather than about trying the impossible
-billy wrote lyrics to several of the songs and handed them over to mjk as a suggestion. as expected, mjk preferred his own lyrics.
-the contrarian was one of the songs that were initially intended for a sound track that billy was scoring
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

Preview of upcoming Revolver issue:

https://www.revolvermag.com/magazine/pe ... rmay-issue
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Good article.

LMAO, Bam Bam the Drummer.

Also, holy shit Maynard continues to be extra-salty about fans and their social media posts.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Was a really good interview I thought. Whole thing is here: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/mayna ... omed-world

I think Maynard is an astute media personality, and knows exactly how to make Tool related quotes that are likely to "outrage" and drive extra clicks. I doubt his relationship with Tool is anywhere near as hostile as some make it out to be.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Keenan's frustration at the slow pace of progress in recording a new Tool album. "I had this other looming project that can't seem to go forward, as much as I've tried, every magic word in the book that I tried," says Keenan. "It's just no different — and worse because there's pressure now, and what are we?Chinese Democracy II or III? So I saw a window."

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

That piqued my interest too. What does he mean II or III?
Last edited by Bill Hilly on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy