Thoughts/Reviews on Box Set/Stone and Echo

Discuss Maynard and Billy's side project
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Re: Thoughts/Reviews on Box Set/Stone and Echo

Post by Ravenpig »

He does but mostly in sections that don't require him to sing as well.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig wrote:He does but mostly in sections that don't require him to sing as well.
Yeah, that's what I meant. He can't play and instrument and sing at the same time.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The 2 (or so) minute new jam after May Jay's "hostilityyyyyyyy!!!" in Orestes is cool as fuck.

And the new/extended version of Lullaby on 13th Step is mean as shit. I freaking love it.
Hey! Denty!
Baahumbug
Fanboi
Height: 6’1

Post by Baahumbug »

Ravenpig wrote:The 2 (or so) minute new jam after May Jay's "hostilityyyyyyyy!!!" in Orestes is cool as fuck.

And the new/extended version of Lullaby on 13th Step is mean as shit. I freaking love it.

^ this!!!! fuck yes, the Orestes on Stone&echo is beautiful just pure beauty in ole billys guitar
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

Has anybody that ordered the box set get an email saying that it is being shipped? I haven't heard shit since they emailed me about the delay and them being shipped out the 12th instead of the 2nd. They called it a "week delay", no it's not you stupid fucks! That's ten days not seven. The 12th has come and gone and I have heard nothing. I paid a pretty penny for it so why can't they give it to me on time. :evil:
jaimiej
Maynard Believer

Post by jaimiej »

Ravenpig wrote:The 2 (or so) minute new jam after May Jay's "hostilityyyyyyyy!!!" in Orestes is cool as fuck.

Hate to be a stickler but I am not sure if you could call that "new" exactly. That extended Orestes dates all the way back to 01 but they played it more regularly in 03/04. I was very very glad it made a return though, just wish they had brought back the extended Thomas as well.

I am also TOTALLY into whatever it is Billy is doing vocally at the end of that Lullabye, makes me wish I had paid more attention on the 13th Step nights because I truly didn't notice it until I listened to the recording.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Oh my.

Yea I don't go that deep into these things. It's new to me.
Hey! Denty!
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

the chill wrote:Has anybody that ordered the box set get an email saying that it is being shipped? I haven't heard shit since they emailed me about the delay and them being shipped out the 12th instead of the 2nd. They called it a "week delay", no it's not you stupid fucks! That's ten days not seven. The 12th has come and gone and I have heard nothing. I paid a pretty penny for it so why can't they give it to me on time. :evil:
I feel ya, it sucks to wait. Hopefully you'll get in on the 24th, I dunno if you celebrate christmas or not though. You might even celebrate it on the 25th, but that's just fucking stupid. God bless america.
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

Thank you for your positive perspective! I don't do Christmas and it goddamned better be at my place by the 24th. Haha. :D
MAGNUS
My pain is just an excuse

Post by MAGNUS »

I just noticed on iTunes they have this concert film (as well as the Puscifer show) available in both SD & HD. Given that iTunes video compression isn't exactly known for being great is the quality of the HD version any better over the DVD.
bonebroke
Geacon

Post by bonebroke »

I like the live versions of the interlude songs: Crimes & Lullaby. I remember liking Renholder more in concert than when listening to it now. Best Billy song.
There's no mention of where the recordings are taken from, just says "Recorded Live Across America 2010". Weak sauce.

I wish it was smoother transition between songs. Crimes to Nurse for example.

The heavy plastic/wood chip composite casing smells like it was recently spray painted black. The pic on Total Box web site makes it look a little more silver in color. The box comes with teeth hook on back to hang on wall (like a poster). I don't think be partaking in this step.

By and Down is a cool tune (cool song structure). It's listed as the last track on the eMotive disc, but it's not on that disc from what I can tell. I certainly don't remember that one at the show on the 2010 album tour. Diary of a Madman is listed as track 8 but it's the last track, after intro's and Iha's jokes. Last track is definitely Fillmore, SF. James gives it away, but I remember the Maynard winery speak too.

The editing on the dvd has too many cuts (same with What Is... from what I saw of Toma). Just show them play a song without cutting to 27 different camera angles. And the specials effects...Mike Patton does a better job with Live Director's Cut.
I like the camera behind Jeff showing their view of audience from stage.

Happy Winter/Summer Solstice -Dec 22nd shortest/longest day of year about to be in the books!

And now back to the cold silence...
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

bonebroke wrote:I like the live versions of the interlude songs: Crimes & Lullaby. I remember liking Renholder more in concert than when listening to it now. Best Billy song.
There's no mention of where the recordings are taken from, just says "Recorded Live Across America 2010". Weak sauce.

I wish it was smoother transition between songs. Crimes to Nurse for example.

The heavy plastic/wood chip composite casing smells like it was recently spray painted black. The pic on Total Box web site makes it look a little more silver in color. The box comes with teeth hook on back to hang on wall (like a poster). I don't think be partaking in this step.

By and Down is a cool tune (cool song structure). It's listed as the last track on the eMotive disc, but it's not on that disc from what I can tell. I certainly don't remember that one at the show on the 2010 album tour. Diary of a Madman is listed as track 8 but it's the last track, after intro's and Iha's jokes. Last track is definitely Fillmore, SF. James gives it away, but I remember the Maynard winery speak too.

The editing on the dvd has too many cuts (same with What Is... from what I saw of Toma). Just show them play a song without cutting to 27 different camera angles. And the specials effects...Mike Patton does a better job with Live Director's Cut.
I like the camera behind Jeff showing their view of audience from stage.

Happy Winter/Summer Solstice -Dec 22nd shortest/longest day of year about to be in the books!

And now back to the cold silence...
Yeah the cuts are super annoying. Now upload the stone and echo dvd.
bonebroke
Geacon

Post by bonebroke »

Aye, Captain
But the anti-matter pods are rigged to blow up the moment we go into upload drive.

On another note, By and Down...
the opening lyrics are the ending lyrics.
If the movies 'River's Edge' and 'Mulholland Drive' ever hooked up and a had a song for a baby, it would be By and Down
Last edited by bonebroke on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

bonebroke wrote:Aye, Captain
But the anti-matter pods are rigged to blow up the moment we go into upload drive.

On another note, By and Down...
the opening lyrics are the ending lyrics.
If the movies The River's Edge and Mulholland Drive ever hooked up and a had a song for a baby, it would be By and Down
Noted sir. Waiting patiently for it to be uploaded on a torrent site
InfectedSanity
Maynard Believer

Post by InfectedSanity »

I think something weird happened with my boxset. Did anybody else not get By and Down on their eMOTIVe Live disc? When imported into iTunes, the tracklisting puts Diary of a Love Song as the last track and excludes By and Down, contrary to the tracklisting in the book.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Piss and moan all we want about maynie's wavering vocal abilities, he pretty much nailed it on the older stuff for Stone and Echo. Granted he goes lower in some places that used to be sung in a higher range, if this was a performance I was at, there'd of not been a single reason to complain or even question his performance. I realize that this was likely a remastered and cleaned up version of the board, but even if the live sound was 75% what the DVD sounds like, he's doing just fine.

Otherwise, the performance is pretty good, even some of the Emotive shit everyone was crying about was quite enjoyable. As stated previously, the cutting to and from camera angles sucks a bit and takes away from a bit of enjoyment if you were going to just sit and stare at it on the tube. And Jeff is certainly NOT Josh, by any means. It is quite noticeable that Josh was not the drummer on the night from both a general sound and technical standpoint.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Dude sounds pretty damned good to me still. Only thing is he doesn't hold the long screams as much anymore. Oh well no big deal, got to hear them back in the day anyway.

I agree that the Emotive tracks on this sound pretty good, more interesting than the album.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Ravenpig wrote:Dude sounds pretty damned good to me still. Only thing is he doesn't hold the long screams as much anymore. Oh well no big deal, got to hear them back in the day anyway.

I agree that the Emotive tracks on this sound pretty good, more interesting than the album.
The one scream that really mattered on the Outsider sounds damn fine, echo vox in effect or not
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

InfectedSanity wrote:I think something weird happened with my boxset. Did anybody else not get By and Down on their eMOTIVe Live disc? When imported into iTunes, the tracklisting puts Diary of a Love Song as the last track and excludes By and Down, contrary to the tracklisting in the book.

You are not the first to notice this typo. Wonder how they missed that one.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

^hasty editting review in the lead up to quick cash ... never
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Having watched a chunk of that video, I agree the editing is annoying. It's like someone set it to cut to a different angle automatically every time the snare drum gets hit.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Do not watch this dvd is you have a headache.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

There's nothing extraordinary about the video but I didn't find the quickly changing angles that annoying. The whole band sounds pretty great.

Still can't get over that set list though. Ugh. Especially in that middle section where they do like 4 or 5 covers in a row, sucks the life right out the performance for me.
Hey! Denty!