Walking out my front door.

liz
Lunchinator

Re: Walking out my front door.

Post by liz »

My Australia Day celebration was attending the Midcoast Meltdown. A festival of local talent headlined by the almighty Cosmic Psychos.

About an hour from Adelaide, at a footy club in the southern suburbs, this gig had a dinkum Aussie feel: a super friendly crowd, reasonably priced beverages and an abundance of colourful tattoos!

We arrived early evening and missed the earlier bands but my mates said they had heard some good stuff, notably an all girl band Juliette Siezure & The Tremor Dolls and a band called Sector 3.

We saw half of No Reality who were punkesque and pretty good, followed by Meatbeaters and Perdition. I really enjoyed Meatbeaters, as soon as I heard them singing Purple Helmet I remembered I'd seen them before. These guys are old rockers, very good on their instruments with funny lyrics. Perdition are old rockers too, more punk where Meatbeaters are heavy rock and again the old fellas shone. I had thought for some reason that the other bands would be the youngsters(and maybe the earlier ones were) but it was really cool to see these guys still performing and killing their sets (they are Tools age for reference).

Cosmic Psychos came on early catching us all unaware. They were playing on the outside stage and someone was obviously watching the weather because it rained soon after their set finished!

Everytime I these these guys I am grinning for the whole set. They are joyful and just really fucking good. A better example of Aussie pub rock you will never find. Although Ross Knight is the only original member left, the three man line up currently playing is a tight fabulous unit. They played all my favourites including, She's a Lost Cause, Custom Credit, A Nice Day to go to the Pub (Australia Day's unofficial anthem) and finishing of with the very funny David Lee Roth.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Last Friday night, with King Parrot headlining, was like a mini festival night with five bands playing. We'd had a really busy week but I'd read Busty's Mammoth reminder so we were there one song into the first act which was Mammoth. Good call Busty I really enjoyed them and the lead guys voice had a real jazz quality and sound to it which was unexpected.

I enjoyed all the bands (although I'm not sure Kittaan would have ;) ) Headbore was the other local band, and like Melbourne's Colossvs playing after them, the songs were sufficiently varied to keep me interested. In fact I really think both were as good/better than King Parrot. I enjoy King Parrot, their on stage send up of themselves is amusing, they are usually tight and their drummer does a terrific job but for me there is a little too much sameness in their material.

High Tension were something new. A very beautiful Asian/Australian girl with some very controlled unusual pipes. Again I found the band behind her a tad repetitive but she was quite mesmerizing.

And then last night was Karnivool playing Themata. It was a excellent show, we got all (I'm fairly sure) of Themata and Simple Boy and New Day thrown in for good measure. The band seemed somehow more into it than I have seen on their last two tours here. Maybe it was just fun for them going back to that first album that we all loved, and remembering the trip that must go with enjoying that sort of reaction with a first album. Andrew Goddard had a huge grin the most of the night asking us how many of us were in bands and that really we should all go join one. Kenny just gets better, an amazing voice that gets more polished and controlled as he ages.

I'm sorry I missed the opening band Knife Fight in Cairo. They were a two piece and I only got to hear two songs but what I did hear I really liked - some psychedelic rock elements to it and a singing drummer playing the keyboard with his spare hand.

"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'd like to see King Parrot, but I can't help but feel that they're a bit over rated. Their videos are funny, but their music is just ok. Pity I missed the show, but that's how things go sometimes.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:I'd like to see King Parrot, but I can't help but feel that they're a bit over rated. Their videos are funny, but their music is just ok. Pity I missed the show, but that's how things go sometimes.
I'm pretty sure you would have enjoyed the evening but yes there are certainly bands as good or better than King Parrot who haven't enjoyed the same success. Their videos and the humor they bring to the stage do seems to give them an edge and the cheeky expressions and grins from guitarist Ari White were very funny and endearing on the night. My friend Dave (not the bloke, who is properly addressed as David) was explaining to me that growly metal vocalists should be fierce and a bit frightening. Upon reflection perhaps this is their point of difference. My friend Dave was also responsible for me getting drenched (yet again) when Matt Young (lead singer) spied him checking his phone and after telling him off aimed his very full water bottle straight at us.

Hopefully we will catch up for Mark Of Cain. See you soon.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

liz wrote:I enjoyed all the bands (although I'm not sure Kittaan would have )
Yes, you seem to be quite more forgiving than I Liz.

Very jealous about the Themata front to back show. Would have loved to experience that. I'm not sure the lads will venture out this way too many more times, the way things are going. Glad I got to check them out a few times live.
Ki77aan :twisted:
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Naattik wrote:
liz wrote:I enjoyed all the bands (although I'm not sure Kittaan would have )
Yes, you seem to be quite more forgiving than I Liz.
It's an acquired taste I'm sure and one that I developed from exposure on this site and the tutelage of Matthew. I have said it many times before that much of this music I wouldn't play at home but the intensity at a gig is another level.

There are actually a world of wonderful performers out there, and the hit and miss involved in "making it" is something I acknowledge more the more I see.

I look forward to one day taking in a Fowlers gig with you Kittaan. Make it happen!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

liz wrote:Kenny just gets under my skin, an over-rated voice that gets more annoying and unlistenable as he ages.
Fixed that for ya Liz ... you're welcome
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

petemasterpete wrote:
liz wrote:Kenny just gets under my skin, an over-rated voice that gets more annoying and unlistenable as he ages.
Fixed that for ya Liz ... you're welcome
His unaccompanied vocal, which we heard several times throughout the set, was basically flawless, but I did think I heard him say "this ones for that miserable bastard Pete" before they played Scarabs. ;)
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It's not how he sings, but the tone.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:It's not how he sings, but the tone.
What do you mean by that exactly? Is it his high notes, because I'd say his pitch is spot on and he holds them well. I like a good soprano though...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

liz wrote:
What do you mean by that exactly? Is it his high notes, because I'd say his pitch is spot on and he holds them well. I like a good soprano though...
Nah, it's just the way his voice grates like fingers down a chalkboard. It's a subjective thing. He sings just fine, just I think his voice blows and more or less ruins the music.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:
liz wrote:
Nah, it's just the way his voice grates like fingers down a chalkboard. It's a subjective thing. He sings just fine, just I think his voice blows and more or less ruins the music.
That opinion on Kenny's voice always amuses me, given your (and Petey's) predilection for gawdawful grind/cookie monster/etc vocals. You are welcome to your opinion, of course, but forgive me if I don't put a whole lot of store in what you have to say on the topic.

In my opinion, the vocals are a large part of why Karnivool are such an excellent band.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

That's a lazy comparison Kittaan, and I appreciate your trolling efforts. I'm capable of appreciating vocalists with a broad spectrum of singing styles, just not Kenny's.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Yes, I was definitely taking the piss, but I still do not get what's so bad about Kenny's vocals. I really like what he does.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Hellboy just struggles with vocals he can't sing along to.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Actually I'm a great singer and can hit all the high notes!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:Actually I'm a great singer and can hit all the high notes!
An ability only exceeded by your dance moves!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Evidence of both, pleeze.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Went out to see King Parrot last night. Was a decent show, with all the bands being worth watching (though non e super compelling either). Crowd was pretty average - venue was lucky to be half full. Given that there were three touring bands, I imagine the bands/promoter took a bit of a bath last night.

King Parrot, for all the hype are an ok live band. Sound at the Unibar was passable at best. While it was a fun show, I don't think I'd rush out to see them live again.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Nice. My old thread. Useful for remembering some of what I see.

I had a fabulous weekend. The bloke and I hosted a band from Melbourne called I Am Duckeye or more recently just Duckeye. We got to know these guys about a decade or more ago basically from going to a gig and enjoying what we heard. This current band is an offshoot of that musical experience and this particular band has morphed from a musical comedy act to a more serious metal/punk sound (I really struggle with genre descriptors). The two sets we saw on the weekend were fabulous. Great riffs, compelling stage presence and showmanship with a seriously good drummer this band are worth taking the time to see. They are playing a lot at the moment and have been on several festival bills along the east coast.

https://iamduckeye.bandcamp.com/track/finger

Jules also gave us a set of his solo project Long Hours. It's hard to really get a sense through this type of recording but this was strangely compelling.

Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

No word on how the food situation went??
Listen to All Them Witches
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Busty McCracken wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 pm No word on how the food situation went??
I had no complaints, nachos, falafel and yiros (with slow cooked lamb).

Oh and my home made breakfast pies.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Damn that sounds good! Love me a good yirros
Listen to All Them Witches
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

King Crimson tonight. Last minute pit ticket became available!

Stoked.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Nice and a pit ticket to boot.

Get out amongst it young fella!