November 2014 Musical Review

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

November 2014 Musical Review

Post by hellboy »

Here we go!

Alpha Male Tea Party - Droids Never heard of this band before, I thionk it came out as part of a what.cd freeleech. It's not a bad album. Mathy proggy metal rock, kinda like Karnivool but better. 7/10

Blood Freak - Squalor Old school sounding death metal. Good stuff. 7/10

Cavalera Conspiracy - Pandemonium I expected this would be crap like their first album, but I was disappointed. Turned out to be one of the better post-Sepultura Max albums out there. 7/10

Classics of Love - Classics of Love Another from the freeleech I think. A ska band, pretty forgettable (like most ska). 4/10

Daniel Lanois - Flesh and Machine Instrumental soundscapes from Daniel. Good background music. 7/10

Electric Masada - At The Mountains Of Madness Sounds exactly like you'd expect an Electric Masada album to sound. 7/10

Empty Yard Experiment - Kallisti Another album picked up in the freeleech. Very much influenced by Tool, though the singer sounds a bit like Jerry Cantrell. If you still like Tool you might enjoy this. 7/10

Faraquet - Anthology 1997-98 Not sure why a band no one has heard of before needs an anthology covering only two years, but here you have it! Anyway, it's pretty much straight up math rock, and I enjoyed it. 8/10

The A.K.'s - Knee Deep In The Dead Another freeleech. This band kinda reminds me of Pigmy Love Circus. Not worth downloading. 4/10

Dope Body - LIFER I liked their last album, and this one is pretty good as well. Worth a listen if you like rocky punk. 8/10

Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io I liked Library Subterranean, but the rest was pretty forgettable. 5/10

Mariachi El Bronx - III Do you like Mariachi with humorous lyrics? If so, this is the album for you! 7/10

Necrophagia - WhiteWorm Cathedral Solid death metal album in a year full of solid death metal albums. 7/10

Nice Hooves - Nice Hooves Great heavy punk album. May have made my top 10 list of last year if I'd heard it then. 8/10

Perfume Genius - Too Bright Meh, 5/10

RJD2 - Deadringer A good album to work to. Not to challenging for the ears, yet pleasant all the while. 7/10

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Grand Opening and Closing I've never spent any time listening to this band, and when it came up on freeleech I decided that time had arrived. An interesting album, not really what I expected. 7/10

Full of Hell & Merzbow Not a lot of Merzbow on this album, but some pretty good grind. 8/10

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways It happens about every 3-4 years. Dave Grohl promises a good Foo Fighters album, and people believe him, and even go so far as give it good reviews. Then the gloss comes off and they realise "this really only has two decent tracks on it". 4/10

Old Man Gloom - The Ape Of God I have two copies of this album, and I have no idea which is the "proper" version (though I have my suspicions). They're both pretty good though, and deserve more of my time. For now 7/10

Ride Into The Sun - Sky Flowers I've seen this local band a couple of times now, and they've been good on all occasions. They popped up in the what.cd top 10 for some reason, so I decided to check it out. Not a band fuzzy psych rock album. 7/10

Royksopp - The Inevitable End Royksopp are pretty consistent with their poppy stylings, and this album, while good, doesn't deviate from their modus operandi. 7/10

TV On The Radio - Seeds I've only listened to this once, but the impressions were good. Will go with a 7/10 for now and probably re-review at a later point. 7/10

Downfall of Gaia - Aeon Unveils The Thrones Of Decay Heavy as fuck crusty metal doom album. Great, but a little longwinded in parts. 7/10

The Skull Defekts - Street Metal I have one of their older albums The Drone Drug, and this sounds mnothing like it. It's mostly instrumental drum heavy rock. It's ok. 6/10

Coming up in December: Seeds (revisited), AC/DC, Soen, Cripple Bastards, Two Inch Astronaut and probably a bunch of other albums for 2014 I haven't listened to yet!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Re: November 2014 Musical Review

Post by Ravenpig »

About Old Man Gloom, there's Ape I &II, which I'm sure you know.

The Ape I I have on rhapsody has Eden's Gates and Promise as the first two songs.

I'd still like to hear the "fake" album they released as I've heard it's not bad.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Ravenpig wrote:
I'd still like to hear the "fake" album they released as I've heard it's not bad.
Fake album has a lot of the same songs, they've just been clipped/editted/re-arranged to remove the more sound-scapey parts, etc. so it's essentially just shorter versions of the existing tracks, almost as if they were all written at 'singles' length rather than opus.

Nice Hooves - Nice Hooves: sort of reviewed in when I posted the album in the bandcamp thread, so pretty much what HB said ... 7/10

Trans Am - X: Finally got around to this one and pushed to do so based on some of the comments on this site. Glad I did; there's some really solid stuff here. Definitely Top 10 worthy ... 7.5/10

Old Man Gloom - Ape of God: Fuckin' A, mang ... what's not to love, really? (I) is a solid record in and of itself and Top 10 worthy by it's own merit and then they throw in (II) which is even more beastly than the first. CAN"T STOP LISTENING ... 9/10

TV on the Radio - Seeds: I feel I should will mention that I was a big fan of these guys' first few releases (I'm still in love entirely with 'Desperate Youth' and 'Cookie Mountain') as this is not a very flattering review. Seeds has about 4 or five solid tracks with the best run being the final 3 in row from a uniformly belonging aesthetic. BUT, notably horrible on this record are the lyrics. Historically I liked them, because they were very poetic, creative and abstract enough to take you places mentally. Here, there very straight-forward 'pop', please associate with me and there are too many cliched versus. The next time a writer decides that it's necessary to rhyme feeling with ceiling, I may have to hunt them down and beat them with a stack of Dr. Seuss books. And don't get me started on the track (name escapes me at the moment) with the syllable for syllable delivery of the old Ednaswap/Imbruglia 'Torn' ... almost as fucking disgraceful as me recognising it. I expect better from these guys; Album of the Year this is not ... 5/10 (maybe)

Lord Mantis - Death Mask: Been meaning to give this some quality time as it got lost a bit after I initially got wind of it, but it's gotten repeated listens over the last couple of weeks. This is some quality heavy tunage ... not as dirty as, say, Acid Bath, by any means, but it does share some of the same qualities. It's a solid listen that differentiates itself enough from other recent heavy music to make me pay attention. I look forward to more from these guys ... 7.5/10

Bastard Sapling - Instinct is Forever: I initially found these guys a while back through Inter Arma (whose vocalist guests on a track). I guess it is kind of black metal if I had to describe it with some additional technicality and melody thrown in here and there. The vox aren't awe inspiring, by any means, but they fit well and aren't a turn off. The musicianship is solid and it's worth a listen if you lean toward the heavier side of music ... 7/10

Anyway, I'm certain I've listened to a few more, but they obviously didn't stand out enough to entice me to recall/review them right now. Most notable misses of the month so far are the live Cloudkicker and the new Minnows, which I'm certain I'll get to in short time.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Hellboy wrote: Cavalera Conspiracy - Pandemonium I expected this would be crap like their first album, but I was disappointed. Turned out to be one of the better post-Sepultura Max albums out there. 7/10
I heard one of the tracks from this the other day (possibly the title track) and enjoyed it. Might have to check this album out.
Don't mow your lawn
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Thanks now I got viruses

One fucking job MODS
Canned audience laughter
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

My favorite was the one like a year or two ago that just posted these 1000+ words, unformatted walls of text that were just insane racist conspiracy theories.
Don't mow your lawn
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

.RU what a surprise
The most intelligent person on this forum
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

UndKeineZwEier wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:10 pm My favorite was the one like a year or two ago that just posted these 1000+ words, unformatted walls of text that were just insane racist conspiracy theories.
That was just The Boss
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm Thanks now I got viruses

One fucking job MODS
I have no idea what you're talking about
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick