June 2014 Musical Review

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

June 2014 Musical Review

Post by hellboy »

Well my PC went out of action for a month, just before I could post a review of my June listenings. Some of the albums I hardly even remember now, but fuck it, worthless reviews must be written!

Architect - Ghost of the Saltwater Machines Some post-hardcore band from the US from memory. Can't remember why I downloaded this as it's a few years old now. It was pretty good and worth a listen if you're into this sort of thing. 8/10.

Richard Pinhas & Oren Ambarchi - Tikkun Instrumental electronic noise rock. Good background music for working. 7/10.
http://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/tikkun

Watter - This World I think this is a side project with some guy from King Crimson in it. I don't have strong memories of it, but I enjoyed Seawater. 7/10

Zond - Zond I think these guys are a psych-rock band from Sydney (I think). The album is good, but not outstanding. 6/10

Enabler - La Fin Absolue Du Monde I really enjoyed their last albm, in fact I think it made it to my top 10 list one year. This followup was good, but a little disappointed compared to their last. They're kind of a sludgy metal/punk band. 7/10
http://enablermke.bandcamp.com/album/la ... e-du-monde

Misery Index - The Killing Gods I nominated this for the Fourtheye Bandcamp Collection I think, so it comes as no surprise that I really enjoyed this metal album. 9/10
http://miseryindex.bandcamp.com/album/the-killing-gods

Young And In The Way - When Life Comes To Death nu-black metal I guess, the kind of stuff The Boss hates (though they're really not like Deaf Heaven at all). I thought it was a pretty good album. 8/10
http://youngandintheway.bandcamp.com/al ... s-to-death

Deep In Hate - Chronicles of Oblivion Metalcore from France. They don't deviate from the standard template much, but I thought the album was solid. 8/10
http://listen.kaotoxin.com/album/chronicles-of-oblivion

Die Antwoord - Donker Mag One song gave me a raging zef boner, but was otherwise forgettable. 4/10

Godflesh - Decline & Fall First EP for these guys in a while. It was ok, but not super good or anything. 7/10
http://godflesh1.bandcamp.com/album/decline-and-fall-ep

Bohren & Der Club of Gore Recommended by Tyson I think. More like der Club of Bore. 3/10

Mayhem - Esoteric Warfare I have no memory of listening to this at all, so will put it in the queue for next month.

Body Count - Manslaughter Probably the best Body Count album since their debut. I think I over-hyped this a bit a while back, but I still really enjoy a few of the tracks, but there is plenty of forgettable stuff here as well. 7/10

Boris - Noise The Japanese band that every loves for some reason. Not me though, this was largely crap. 4/10

Death Grips - niggas on the moon Probably broke up a couple of albums too late. I regret not seeing them live. 4/10

Eyehategod - Eyehategod A largely enjoyable, if somewhat unremarkable album. Seems a bit more upbeat then what I remember Eyehategod being. 7/10

Cerebral Ballzy - Jaded & Faded Another record I don't remember listening to. I must be getting old.

Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown Pretty standard fare from these guys. If you like them you'll like this, if you don't you won't. 6/10

Slaughter - Strappado Classic Thrash metal from a bunch of Canadians. 8/10

The Austerity Program - Beyond Calculation I'm calculating an entry in my best of 2014 list. 9/10
http://austerityprogram.bandcamp.com/al ... alculation

Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun It's like The Hunter, but better and more catchy. I still prefer the old Mastodon though. 8/10

Gojira - Terra Incognita The second French band in this list. I've never listened to Gojira's debut album before, and I think it's better than their newer stuff. 9/10

See you all next month!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: June 2014 Musical Review

Post by Calfium Jay »

Well...you're right about the Boris album, for one thing.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote: Bohren & Der Club of Gore Recommended by Tyson I think. More like der Club of Bore. 3/10
2d33p4u
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:
hellboy wrote: Bohren & Der Club of Gore Recommended by Tyson I think. More like der Club of Bore. 3/10
2d33p4u
Definitely not enough breakdowns and double kick for me
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

It's ambient, what do you expect?

Either way that was a joke post and each to their own.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

And I joke posted your joke post.

:geek:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I haven't listened to that Body Count album, but I saw them on Conan and they were terrible.
Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:Misery Index - The Killing Gods I nominated this for the Fourtheye Bandcamp Collection I think, so it comes as no surprise that I really enjoyed this metal album. 9/10
finally listened to this ... quality metal album for sure, but can't see frequenting it on a regular basis ... 7/10
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

petemasterpete wrote:
hellboy wrote:Misery Index - The Killing Gods I nominated this for the Fourtheye Bandcamp Collection I think, so it comes as no surprise that I really enjoyed this metal album. 9/10
finally listened to this ... quality metal album for sure, but can't see frequenting it on a regular basis ... 7/10
Yeah, 9/10 might be a little much in hindsight. I'm wavering towards a 8/10 at the moment.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:
petemasterpete wrote:
Yeah, 9/10 might be a little much in hindsight. I'm wavering towards a 8/10 at the moment.
so, as good, or better than the new Yob record ... I call shenanigans!
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Maybe. The Yob album is better, but I'm not convinced it's a 9/10. Maybe an 8.5, but I don't like doing half points.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:Maybe. The Yob album is better, but I'm not convinced it's a 9/10. Maybe an 8.5, but I don't like doing half points.
I know, right. Might as well just do it out of a hundred, then.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
hellboy wrote:Maybe. The Yob album is better, but I'm not convinced it's a 9/10. Maybe an 8.5, but I don't like doing half points.
Pretty much. The ratings are as much a concept for than a hard of fast this is better than that thing for me. 8/10 has a specific meaning to me, and that's pretty much that it's great, but has a few minor flaws that prevent me from enjoying it in full. Sure, an 8/10 is obviously better than a 7, but not all 8s are equal.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:
Pretty much. The ratings are as much a concept for than a hard of fast this is better than that thing for me. 8/10 has a specific meaning to me, and that's pretty much that it's great, but has a few minor flaws that prevent me from enjoying it in full. Sure, an 8/10 is obviously better than a 7, but not all 8s are equal.
Totes.

The Boss' Quick Rating Guide:

1/10: A disaster. Just an abortion in every way. Any of those "Verb-ing (Preposition) Proper Noun/Noun" kind of bands. You know what I'm talking about.

2/10: Terrible. Should never have been released. Usually a vanity project.

3/10: Awful. This artist or group is probably deeply cemented in the pop industry, but not in a good way.

4/10: Guilty pleasure territory. Here you'll find AVRIL LAVIGNE and TLC. Absolute shit, but there's a hint of talent.

5/10: Should have been better. You got lazy, kid, and it shows. Mostly a score reserved for the third album from a band who enjoyed monumental success with their first album.

6/10: I find it difficult to get rid of it and never listen to it again. Probably would be listened to a lot whilst drunk. Pretty fucking good from a well-respected band or artist.

7/10: Yeah, boi. Welcome to the club. Yep, that's a HIGH ON FIRE ALBUM over there. That one? Fucking DIDO, bruh. Yeah, give it a whirl, it's awesome.

8/10: Excellent. A truly wonderful album by people who know what the fuck they're doing. A weekly or (at worst) monthly listen.

9/10: Almost a worse score than 7/10. So close to perfection, and yet . . . Yeah, that's mostly KATATONIA over there.

10/10: TOOL. KRISTIN HERSH. Often others, but very dependent on mood. Compulsory to have on hand at all times. Multiple copies in all formats across all devices. Cassette is not out of the question. Strangely, also the most tenuous of scores. Many an album has reached the heady heights of a 10/10, only to drop back down to an 8 or 9.

Much like women, I guess.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.