What are you watching? Film/TV

Movies, TV and other video based media
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Re: What are you watching? Film/TV

Post by Ravenpig »

How can it be a breath of fresh air when the last few Marvel MCU movies (except for Civil War) have had extra gobs of humor injected into them?
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I haven't seen the movie, but certainly looks like a change of pace from the previous Thor movies. Humour looks more in the GOTG style, rather than the typical Marvel humour (which isn't really a new thing)
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Ravenpig wrote:How can it be a breath of fresh air when the last few Marvel MCU movies (except for Civil War) have had extra gobs of humor injected into them?
Considering you have an avatar of wolverine I'm guessing our interest in comic books and their film adapations are slightly differed. I'm just a casual observer and havent seen every single marvel movie released so can only go off what I know. And from comic movies I have seen Thor was just a great watch that had me laughing start to finish. You said yourself it was to Jokey for your liking so that in itself tells me it was very different to its predecessors.
Listen to All Them Witches
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

man, the futurama movies are weird...
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I finally watched Mad Max: Fury Road. It wasn't bad.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 this evening with my daughter. Even though I enjoyed the movie, it felt quite a bit short of the first one. 7/10.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I watched Alien 3 and Resurrection as I haven't seen them before and they're not as bad as people made them out to be. They're both far more interesting than a lot of what passes for good movies nowadays, though they do have their problems.

It's funny though, I remember seeing people say that Resurrection butchered Whedon's script, but like the elements of it that seemed the most Whedon-esque were the worst parts imo. Whedon's writing is very stylized in a way that doesn't really fit the established tone of the Aliens films.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Alien 3 is pretty good in my opinion. Resurrection is ok, but has a quite different feel to the other 3 - almost seems more like a comic book adaption rather than the more gritty prequels.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I watched Big Mouth on Netflix and I thought it was pretty good. It was funny and the characters were well-realized, but the more I think about it the more I feel I feel it was a bit scattered.
Don't mow your lawn
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

Phew...been binge watching past seasons/episodes of Black Mirror. Entertaining series for the most part. Looking forward to checking out this new season that was recently released.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I rewatched Six Feet Under. That finale hit me even harder the second time around. I don't think there's another show that's ever ended as perfectly.
Don't mow your lawn
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Just finished ep 2 of 2nd season Wolf Creek. Holy shit that was a really tense final 10 minutes and all round great fucking episode. I saw wolf creek at the movies and thought it was terrible. Caught the sequel by chance and enjoyed it enough to watch season 1 of the series which was worth the time but this 2nd season has stepped up. Is probably the best aussie film making I've seen in a very long time.
Listen to All Them Witches
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

nxrm wrote:Phew...been binge watching past seasons/episodes of Black Mirror. Entertaining series for the most part. Looking forward to checking out this new season that was recently released.
I just finished the 3rd episode of season 4 and I haven't been all that impressed. Episode 1 was fun, but 2 and 3 weren't that great.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Got around to watching Blade Runner 2049 last night. 10/10 would watch again
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Before I Wake on Netflix, in which Thomas Jane just wants his kid back, is surprisingly good and is probably the best horror(ish) movie I've seen since The Blackcoat's Daughter.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:
nxrm wrote:Phew...been binge watching past seasons/episodes of Black Mirror. Entertaining series for the most part. Looking forward to checking out this new season that was recently released.
I just finished the 3rd episode of season 4 and I haven't been all that impressed. Episode 1 was fun, but 2 and 3 weren't that great.
Alright episodes 4 and 6 were good enough to pull the average back and 5 was alright. I'll give the season a B. The lighter episodes were definitely. I hope they keep that up in the future.
Don't mow your lawn
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote:Got around to watching Blade Runner 2049 last night. 10/10 would watch again
High praise indeed. Definitely interested in watching this one again as well.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:
UndKeineZwEier wrote:
Alright episodes 4 and 6 were good enough to pull the average back and 5 was alright. I'll give the season a B. The lighter episodes were definitely. I hope they keep that up in the future.
Watched Season 4, Episodes 2, 3 & 4 (Arkangel, Crocodile & Hang the DJ) over the weekend. I think what I most enjoy (despair about) in the episodes are the choices the characters make, and the ensuing consequences. Despite the futuristic technology, they're still human. The underlying criticism being, technology isn't going to save us...it's just a new filter to observe through as we continue to make stupid mistakes. Quite bleak, but the episodes are packaged so prettily...it's difficult not to be hopeful while watching...knowing it's most likely all going to fall apart.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I get that and I like it too when it works. It's just that at times I felt like that style was more constraining than necessary. Like I felt Crocodile was kind of a ridiculous and I think if they took a less serious approach with it they could have made it work, but they approached in the traditional Black Mirror and I don't think it really worked.
Don't mow your lawn
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I get that and I like it too when it works. It's just that at times I felt like that style was more constraining than necessary. Like I felt Crocodile was kind of a ridiculous and I think if they took a less serious approach with it they could have made it work, but they approached in the traditional Black Mirror and I don't think it really worked.
Crocodile went off the rails fast and quick, but boy was that cinematography great. Pleasant surprise to see John Hillcoat as the director.

A lot of these Black Mirror episodes bring to mind that great Sam Raimi film 'A Simple Plan': whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Season 3 of Bloodline is a fucking trip, holy shit.
Don't mow your lawn
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Season 3 of Bloodline is a fucking trip, holy shit.
People keep mentioning this show. Going to have to check it out.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Seasons 1 and 2 are genuinely good imo. I'm little on the fence about season 3 though, there's stuff that I don't think really works (John Leguizamo's character arc in this last season is one of the most bizarre things I've seen on a non-David Lynch show) and I think they had trouble getting some of the actors back because there were characters that had smaller roles than in past seasons. All of this stuff gives the season a weirder vibe than previous seasons, which were a bit more straightforward, but they actually kind of lean into it especially in the last few episodes and so I think it kind of ends up working in the end.

It's definitely a gorgeous show though, the Key West setting provides a lot of beautiful imagery, and the acting is great. Kyle Chandler and Ben Mendohlson both really kill it in their roles.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Finally watched series 3 of The Fall. I feel like it kind of ended a bit fast. Could have used more of a denouement to really process/resolve things.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Man, What Happened To Monday was not very good. I could have sworn I read a positive review but I guess that was not the case.
Don't mow your lawn