Tool - 25 March 2014 - Toyota Center, Houston, TX

Tool will be "touring" (well, playing one show in Mexico at time of writing) North America in March 2014.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Re: Tool - 25 March 2014 - Toyota Center, Houston, TX

Post by badkittygothgirl »

hurricanebama wrote:Mechandise trailer outside tonight...not sure how to put a pic on here

Here's your pic of the outside merch booth. This venue rocks IMO. Drove 12 hours on a whim to see Radiohead and they also had an outside merch booth. The trailer must be a new addition b/c they had a tent when I went there.

Glover569
Maynard Believer

Post by Glover569 »

Signed poster from last night. They were $150. Weren't cheaper at other shows? They also had a few unsigned posters from other nights and the two signed posters from SF for $400.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Tool - 25 March 2014 - Toyota Center, Houston, TX

Post by Kittaan »

They were also $150 at SF and beyond. I believe $130 prior.

Surprised they still had the SF signed pair. I know that's what they charged at the SF shows too. Shocking they didn't increase the price (which was already stoopid high).
Ki77aan :twisted:
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

I think this is one of the better posters from this tour! Not that they differ all that much.
pollux
Maynard Believer

Post by pollux »

I had tickets in section 407, which seemed like no big deal. Seeing all the visuals is nice, but it's not the most important part of a Tool show. Arrived early to see Failure the opener, horrible sound must be bad sound check or something. Ended up going out to smoke for their entire set. After seeing Tool around 10 times, I was a little worried the show would open with third eye great song but I've seen several times and so far none have been as good as the show at beaumont jr college with members of Meshuggah joining the jam. HOOKER WITH A PENIS! I'm so happy… wait…. I can't hear Adam…. or Maynard, nor any flourishes from Justin….. WTF. It wasn't just a bad sound check for the opener. I don't mind obstructed view, obstructed sound however is unacceptable. We went and snaked some empty seats in another section. Sounded better in the hall then from my original seats. Have to admit that was a big let down as I am a drummer and was looking forward to having a great seat to see Danny, but not at the expense of hearing no other band member. No opiate the only song I really want to see live that I never have. Performance 10/10 but still a let down. Bought the tickets mainly for hooker with a penis and opiate and didn't get to hear either of them.

One day I hope they do a tour that is the anti-pop tour no stinkfist, sober, schism, 46&2, aenima, jambi, vicarious, lateralus, parabola. Despite still getting an erection every time I see 46&2, aenima, and lateralus live. Also I kind of look forward to the day where they don't play HUGE venues all the time, Toyota Center has better sound than Woodlands Pavilion but it isn't great I figure that's due to it's size.

I will continue going to Tool shows as they are great musicians and the visuals are always great, even if they never do a tour with a surprising setlist.

Some of the good points, Maynards voice was strong and a little louder in the mix than it has been the past few times I've seen them. Danny still exhausted me just watching him. They reworked some of the songs and gave an interesting vibe. Visuals A++++ as always. The over all volume wasn't overbearing (i play with earplugs but nothing at shows so my ears are in pretty good shape for a drummer and I would like to keep it like that). Like I said 10/10 performance wise as I have come to expect from Tool.
frikinelmo
My pain is just an excuse

Post by frikinelmo »

Just getting back to Louisiana this evening. It was the 7th Tool show for me and my wife. It may have been one of my favorites. In part because we were in section 104 and really close to the stage. Close enough that the drumming seemed extra crisp. Luckily from our vantage point, the audio mix was maybe the cleanest I've heard. There were a few songs towards the end that the bass overpowered everything, but that may partially be ear fatigue. The whole band was very much into it. Maynard was more energetic and engaged than in other recent shows, and his voice sounded amazing. There were a few idiots above us who screamed a conversation to each other during the Failure set, but luckily the STFU during Tool. I did catch on that one of the guys had never seen Tool nor was he even familiar with them. The dude was blown away and it made for entertaining listening during the intermission as he recounted how "AMAZING" each band member was on his respective instrument. It was kind of cool to hear him become amazed. "this lead singer not out front is kinda strange, but ... I guess if your music is this fucking amazing you don't have to huh?"

Failure was meh. Never was a fan, not really that familiar with their songs. The first song was great, I thought I'd enjoy the whole set, but I got bored really quick. Every song sounded the same to me. Same structure and predictable breaks. Same vocal pattern of singing for each song. I enjoyed their cartoon intro more than their music.

My only gripe is not band or venu related, but idiots. Put the fucking cell phones away. I was about to start slapping cameras out of people's hands. Not only is it an idiotic move to try to enjoy the concert through a 3" screen, it's fucking rude to everyone else around you. A glowing screen held up 3 feet from your head during half the show. *get off my lawn*
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

I agree that ole MayJay was in pretty good spirits last night. Came out from the intermission (BTW - keep the lights off, turn Danny's synth on and let us watch a lightshow) wearing a suit and natty red tie drinking from what appeared to be a bottle his white wine. He surprised the hell out of me when, after Stinkfist was over, and the lights came up he gave us a good minute of queen waves and curtsies before heading back into the dark. They other guys really seemed pleased with the show, they each hugged each other and walked the whole stage acknowledging the crowd.

I have to say this was as energized and loud as I have seen a Toyota center crowd in a long time. Other than my horrible seat (front row seat 1 about 15 feet on the outside of Justin - no more VIP for me), it was one of the better Tool shows I have been to. When they kicked it into Ænema, I thought the place was going to come unglued.

Loved sound check, they played Jambi and then Hooker before kicking us out. Real treat to hear how much Maynard (and 12k others) add to the show by comparing the sound check version of Jambi with the concert sound of Jambi. IMO, while all the guys are super talented musicians and sound great together, Maynard is the glue that holds all that sonic energy together.

Oh, and Adam did some killer doodles on some of the VIP posters. Some just the star and some full up sketches of skulls and such. One lady didn't even realize how special the sketch was. I overheard her talking to her friend "my poster looks different than yours" I look over and she has a full up multicolored copy of the gig poster skull complete with smoke from the eyes. I was very close to knocking her down and stealing it.
zander
Bronco's Fan

Post by zander »

Really wish I could have gotten one of those doodled VIP posters. I agree those people had no idea what they had. The VIP thing was great but at the same time my wife and I were a little disappointed. Adam's talk was awesome, he is a really nice guy and I enjoyed hearing him talk for so long. The Q and A sucked, no good questions and it seemed like it only lasted 10 mins I guess because he talked for so long, I just expected to get some more privileged information. I didn't really want to get my picture taken with him it just seems a little weird but I'm glad I did, he took the time to talk to us for a second even though the whole thing was rushed. On the way out after getting a picture I asked him about The Pot video, he acted like he he had no idea what I was talking about and told me there is no video for The Pot, he then smiled and said "we are working on something but it's a secret". The mech thing was a nice gesture but just 15% off? Hate to complain but I expected a little more of a discount. Also from what I had seen from the pictures of other VIP sessions the posters were personalized, our's were not. The sound check was great but I was hoping to hear a song they never play like Eulogy or The Grudge. Then we didn't get to see the sculptures which was a real disappointment I was really looking forward to that. We got great seats and that was almost worth the money, second row right in front of Adam and had a clear view of the rest of the gang. Show was great! I'm glad we went to the cedar park show also, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten to see Third eye, Maynard seemed really into it to, Vicarious was kinda a buzz kill after Third Eye though. The new jam into Schism is really growing on me. Did anyone else think that the video playing during the jam is something more than just some visuals?
That almost seems like the begins of a new video, they also play parts of the video during Intension which to me, seem to go together.
Rothric
Maynard Believer

Post by Rothric »

zander wrote:Also from what I had seen from the pictures of other VIP sessions the posters were personalized
That was only the first VIP. They allowed you to bring in personal items for a signature, and if you didn't bring something in, he'd sign your VIP poster for you. That took waaaaaay too long, so they switched it to Adam presigning the VIP posters for us to speed things up. I would have loved to have my 2006 Woodlands, TX - Jermaine Rogers poster signed, and even ended up bringing it, it just didn't work out.

The posters that my girlfriend and I got have a small 3rd Eye/Spiral doodle on them. Didn't get to see anyone else's poster, so not sure how lucky we got, or if quite a few were slightly doodled.

Too bad you didn't get to see the Schism/Parabola models, wonder why they didn't bring them out? They brought them out for the Cedar Park date.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

Rothric wrote:
zander wrote:Also from what I had seen from the pictures of other VIP sessions the posters were personalized
That was only the first VIP. They allowed you to bring in personal items for a signature, and if you didn't bring something in, he'd sign your VIP poster for you. That took waaaaaay too long, so they switched it to Adam presigning the VIP posters for us to speed things up. I would have loved to have my 2006 Woodlands, TX - Jermaine Rogers poster signed, and even ended up bringing it, it just didn't work out.

The posters that my girlfriend and I got have a small 3rd Eye/Spiral doodle on them. Didn't get to see anyone else's poster, so not sure how lucky we got, or if quite a few were slightly doodled.

Too bad you didn't get to see the Schism/Parabola models, wonder why they didn't bring them out? They brought them out for the Cedar Park date.
Juan (the VIP coordinator) said that the carpenter told him that there wasn't time for him to get the models out. Apparently he (the carpenter) was working on something to do with the stage.

I think the spiral was his go to as mine has it and I saw a bunch of others with it. On some he went full out doodle and some he added little things like the star they put on all their merch.
Twenty-five & 4
Maynard Believer

Post by Twenty-five & 4 »

I'm assuming many saw... but I'll put it here just in case. This is pretty cool, I think it's awesome when they, the performers, show such a reaction and an appreciation to the crowd. Felt the same way in Austin the night before too.

adam jones ‏@AdamJones_tv Mar 26

#EarsRinging #Houston #Texas #ToyotaCenter ~Thank you 12,361 in attendance