Video game news

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Video game news

Post by hellboy »

People read customer reviews? That seems like a weird criticism to me.

Store exclusives are nothing new for PC gamers either, which is the reason I have so many clients installed - I wouldn't have bothered with UPlay or Origin if the games if not for a few exclusives (AssCreed Odyssey comes to mind)

The jury is certainly out on Epic though, my first take was that they were firmly riding the trend of Fortnite, and it'll probably not garner enough interest. But now that they start grabbing a few exclusives, and triggering dev share takes, well I think there's some legs to it.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

They also have that policy of not charging licensing fees for the Unreal Engine to developers who publish on the Epic Game Store, subsidizing the cost from the proceed split.

That's very cool and is going to encourage a lot of indie developers. This thing definitely has some legs imo.
Don't mow your lawn
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Canned audience laughter
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:03 am People read customer reviews? That seems like a weird criticism to me.

Store exclusives are nothing new for PC gamers either, which is the reason I have so many clients installed - I wouldn't have bothered with UPlay or Origin if the games if not for a few exclusives (AssCreed Odyssey comes to mind)

The jury is certainly out on Epic though, my first take was that they were firmly riding the trend of Fortnite, and it'll probably not garner enough interest. But now that they start grabbing a few exclusives, and triggering dev share takes, well I think there's some legs to it.
Customer reviews are highly relevant. For those of us who are hardcore gamers they are not useful, but there are far more casual gamers out there who may never read any critical reviews. Moreover critical review in gaming is incredibly hit or miss. For every Jason Schreier and Kirk Hamilton you have 15 Yong Yea types on YouTube. Not to mention most major gaming sites are pure shit. IGN, Gamespot, GameInformer, etc etc. Point being silencing the consumer is never a good thing. It means you control the narrative. Epic claims they are taking out Customer reviews because of review bombing but I don’t buy that for a second.
The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. There are plenty of avenues for gamers, casual or otherwise to both read and write reviews. Adding another layer to yet another store seems entirely redundant. Having Fallout 76 on the new Bethesda launcher (which I imagine also doesn't have reviews) hasn't really controlled the narrative there.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I get my reviews from forum posts and bulletin boards, haven't read a 'professional' review in years.
Canned audience laughter
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Thanks alot Hellboy... jumped straight onto that Subnautica tip off. Didnt know it existed. Awesome game

Hoping Satisfactory has some traction.
Deftones!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

earthrocker wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:15 am Hoping Satisfactory has some traction.
I've been keeping an eye on this since they announced at E3. Looks right up my alley.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

25 January 2019 – Resident Evil 2 (XO/PS4/PC)
29 January 2019 – Kingdom Hearts III (XO/PS4)
15 February 2019 – Far Cry: New Dawn (XO/PS4/PC)
15 February 2019 – Crackdown 3 (XO/PC)
15 February 2019 – Metro Exodus (XO/PS4/PC)
22 February 2019 – Anthem (XO/PS4/PC)
7 March 2019 – Total War: Three Kingdoms (PC)
8 March 2019 – Devil May Cry 5 (XO/PS4/PC)
15 March 2019 – The Division 2 (XO/PS4/PC)
22 March 2019 – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (XO/PS4/PC)
23 April 2019 – Mortal Kombat 11 (XO/PS4/NS/PC)
26 April 2019 – Days Gone (PS4)
14 May 2019 – Rage 2 (XO/PS4/PC)
Deftones!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not much to get excited about there tbh
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

^ Wut? Far Cry: New Dawn, Crackdown 3, Metro Exodus, Anthem, The Division 2...Qtr 1 2019 looks amazing
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

I hope crackdown isn't a complete flop... They have been talking about this game forever. Based on what i've played of Anthem this will be a wait and see. I think this could be another Destiny like flop. The division looks very promising.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

MobileVortex wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:33 pm I hope crackdown isn't a complete flop... They have been talking about this game forever. Based on what i've played of Anthem this will be a wait and see. I think this could be another Destiny like flop. The division looks very promising.
I am with you on Crackdown. So many delays I really hope the game is actually ready.

Anthem looks great so far the devs at Bioware have been doing a fantastic job every month doing streams showing gameplay and systems and engaging with the community. The game looks like it will be in a good place at launch. My main worry is not even with the game, rather with the gaming community at large. There is still so much hate when it comes to EA I sincerely hope people can get past it and give the game a fair chance. I would hate to see a good game struggle because of a publisher's past transgressions. EA went too far with Battlefront 2 obviously but it was bound to happen to someone. Almost every publisher is looking for ways to monetize as much as possible and eventually someone was going to take it too far and it just happened to be EA. Shit everyone thought Bethesda walked on water and look at what they did with Fallout 76. Publishers are pushing too far with loot boxes/microtransactions and consumers have responded and we are seeing a correction as a result. That said I do think gamers need to start being realistic in terms of understanding how much it costs to make games now and that a $60 price point might not be correct any longer.

The Division 2 I agree looks extremely promising. With all the work Massive did on The Division over three years to get it in the place it is now I suspect Division 2 is going to be a well oiled machine. Mechanics were never an issue with Division as movement, gunplay and controls were great from day one. The Division suffered from bugs and from a lack of direction. They changed directions so many times and it took them awhile to get the endgame figured out. I don't imagine those will be problems in Division 2. Plus they got to see how Bungie struggled with Destiny 2 and I think that is going to be hugely beneficial to Massive getting Division 2 right.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

How is Destiny a "flop"?
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:14 pm ^ Wut? Far Cry: New Dawn, Crackdown 3, Metro Exodus, Anthem, The Division 2...Qtr 1 2019 looks amazing
A bunch of tired sequels and yet another online fps in an already flooded genre. Yawn.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

An interesting development:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... ore-on-pc/
Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 won’t be launching on Steam, but Massive Entertainment and Ubisoft’s upcoming co-op shooter will launch on Epic’s increasingly popular games store, as announced here. Ever since Epic unveiled their store in early December, they’ve been racking up independent exclusives, but signing a multi-game agreement with Ubisoft feels like a big deal. The game will still be available direct from Ubisoft via Uplay, but the Steam store page has now vanished (a Google-cached copy here), with an Epic Store page taking its place. The game launches March 15th.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Anthem and Division 2 soon cannot wait.

ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Anthem VIP Demo starts tomorrow. Cannot wait.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Looking forward to giving it a go when it goes free to play.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

If you want to try it this weekend. here's a link. https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/anthem- ... IwMTM1OTIy
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I more interesting in Generation Zero actually:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... lease-date
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Anthem Demo was okay when it was actually playable. The server issues were an absolute mess. I expected some problems as it is impossible to really prepare for how servers will handle significant load until you actually open up the game to a large number of players but that was unacceptable particularly when you market a preorder for VIP Demo access and the Demo ends up being largely unplayable or severely limited.

As for the game itself, it shows promise, but they have got to do something about the screen shake. Some frame rate issues as well. It plays fairly well on the X when the servers aren't struggling but the game feels like it would benefit greatly with another 6 months of polish and more stress tests. Obviously not gonna happen the game is out in a month. Hopefully they can get the servers ready for launch and hopefully the final launch build addresses some of the issues the game currently has. I will play it but with Division 2 out in two months I will likely end up spending most of my time there.