Top Ten Albums Of All Time . . .

Music in all its forms and styles
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Top Ten Albums Of All Time . . .

Post by The Boss »

Fuck you all, we haven't had this thread for a while.

The nature of music and taste is as such that it makes lists like these variable at any time.

Have at it, fucknuts. Explanation would be hawt.

1. "LATERALUS", TOOL. Nothing needs to be said here. Literally astounding every time I listen to it. Pure bliss. I fucking adore this album.

2. "STRANGE ANGELS", KRISTIN HERSH. No album has the power to wash my fears away like this one. An ex used to put this on whilst I was in the throws of a panic attack. It was medicine.

3. "THE MAGGOT", (THE) MELVINS. Fuck me dead.

4. "NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY", KATATONIA. Really anything post "LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN". This is a band who just keeps getting better. I can bank on them. Every album is better than the last, but this album is pretty special. They're one of the few who have "got" the concept of melodic metal. Interesting, because that brings me to . . .

5. "BLACKWATER PARK", OPETH. There's nothing you can really say that would add anything to the already undeniable power this album has. A true masterpiece. This will be looked over for years in the coming decades as a fucking work of art.

6. "ATMA", YOB. Yep, there it is. The nuances of this album leave me agape. Gorgeous.

7. "IN UTERO", NIRVANA. Fuck you.

8. "I SEE A DARKNESS", BONNY "PRINCE" BILLY. Very similar reasons why "STRANGE ANGELS" is number two, sans the panic attacks. A painfully good album. I've yet to find anyone who hasn't furrowed their brows on listening to this for their very first time.

9. "WWIII", KMFDM. You know what, I really don't think this band gets the attention it deserves. Lucia's (sp) vocals on this album are terrifying. I had the pleasure of seeing "Last Things" live years ago. One of the highlights of my life. Yes, I have a boring life. And yes, she owned the entire show.

10. "BLUES FUNERAL", THE MARK LANEGAN BAND. It hits the spot in so many ways that it's kind of creepy. You know those moments when you have a musical itch to scratch, but can't find what you're looking for? Throw this badass motherfucker on.

There's a bunch that should, I guess, be there, but can't make it for whatever reasons. BRENDAN PERRY, LED ZEPPELIN, MASSIVE ATTACK, ROY ORBISON, THE CURE, fucking OM - they all narrowly miss out.

But these are my ten.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: Top Ten Albums Of All Time . . .

Post by not tyson »

In no particular order

Korn - Life is peachy
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
Cream - Wheels of fire
Tool - Ænima
Pet Shop Boys - Actually
Gary Numan - Dance
Beach Boys - Pet sounds
Cripple Black Phoenix - A love of shared disasters
BT - This binary universe
Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Altered states of America
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

this again, but it's always the same damn obvious choices for me, give or take 1 or 2 on that particular day, but these are records that essentially changed my life or became embedded at some point:

Captain Obvious's Top 10

Aenima will always and forever be 1, so lets start with 1b in no order:

Bleach
Around the Fur
Psalm 69
Meantime
Fantastic Planet
Songs for the Deaf
Broken
Seas of Cheese
OK Computer
Nothing's Shocking
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

There is a few I have left out that I wanted to squeeze in, particularly Opeth Heritage which I love and Bill Hicks Rant in E Minor (albeit not a musical album) it is one of my favourites....

1. Aenima - tough to differentiate between TOOL albums because I have a lot of songs that resonate very deeply, but I really love Pushit...
2. Lateralus - I am an unashamed TOOL fan...
3. Evil Empire (RATM) - Growing up this album (and the others) solidified a lot of my opinions and reinforced my distrust of the 'man'...
4. Rage against the Machine - everybody loved this album...
5. Deconstruction (The Devin Townsend Project) - Devin is the best....
6. In Rainbows (Radiohead) - When I saw Live at the Basement it made me cry (I was wasted but it made me cry none the less)...
7. Sailing the seas of cheese (Primus) - a fucking super cool album by the coolest bass player in the world....
8. Master of Puppets (Metallica) - It was the first heavy album I listened to, and I really loved Battery as an angry teenager...
9. Blood Sugar Sex Magic (RHCP) - I play the bass and when I was learning this is what I wanted to sound like....
10. August and Everything else (Counting Crows) - My best mate committed suicide in 2002 and he loved them, I have been stuck with a relationship with them ever since...
Be good to each other.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Radiohead did a live at the basement?

The Australian Live at the basement?

What?

I could just google this but yeah, surprised.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Kudos for selecting The Maggot.

There's no way a person's "Top 10 Favorite albums" could ever remain static. A "Top 10 Favorite" changes with the seasons. It changes constantly as you walk the path of existence. One day it's this, next day it's that.

Therein lies the conundrum.

Fuck all pretentions:

Burzum - Filosofem
Whitehouse - Asceticists
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk
Boredoms - Pop Tatari
Andrew Chalk - Blue Eyes Of The March
Popol Vuh - In Den Garten Pharaos
Frank Zappa/The Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out
Godflesh - Pure
Scott Walker - The Drift
Swans - Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money

Sorry Brian Eno. I'll fit you in next time....

^*^
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Not Tyson wrote:Radiohead did a live at the basement?

The Australian Live at the basement?

What?

I could just google this but yeah, surprised.
Probably not what you are thinking....

Filmed/recorded in London.
It probably makes my top ten albums as well.
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Professor of Lesbian Science
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Lateralus - Tool: Tool is the first band that I really fell in love with and there hasn't been another band that has really drawn me in as much as Tool has. I pretty much only listened to Tool the summer after I discovered them. I was a total Tool dork back then. Since then my feelings on Tool have cooled quite a bit. I don't think I've intentionally listened to a Tool album in at least a month if not longer. But I can't deny the huge influence they've had on my musical tastes. Every other album on this list I've discovered in some way because of Tool. Either because I was exploring some of their influences or because somebody here recommended it. This album more than earns its spot on this list.

The Seer - Swans: This album changed the way I saw music. It was so unique and different than anything I'd heard before. But, at the same time, it felt familiar. It felt like the kind of music people should be making. I wondered how it was possible that I had never heard anything like it before. It made no compromises whatsoever. It never felt like anybody involved ever wondered whether or not people were going to like it. It's a masterpiece.

Oceanic - Isis: This was my second Isis album. My first was In The Absence Of Truth and my initial impression of both was that they were okay, but pretty underwhelming. Unlike ITAOT though this album got a hold of me somehow. I would just keep listening to it and eventually it just sort of worked its way into my brain and now I love it. That's actually been my experience with pretty much every Isis album except for Celestial which blew me away the first time I listened to it, but that was also the last Isis album I bought, so I may have been more open to it then I was to their other albums.

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd: This was the first Pink Floyd album I listened to that I really liked. I had already heard The Wall, Animals, and Dark Side Of The Moon but neither of them really did much for me. There were parts of each that I liked, but overall they left me pretty cold. They've since grown on me a lot, but I loved this album the first time I listened to it and I still do. It is a great album.

The Fragile - Nine Inch Nails: If Tool was my first love than Nine Inch Nails was my first big musical crush. Tool really progressed my musical interests, but Nine Inch Nails was the band that really helped me figure out what I was looking for in music. A lot of the core elements of the music I love is present in Nine Inch Nails and especially on this album.

Led Zeppelin III: This was my first Led Zeppelin album. I bought it because it had Immigrant Song on it, which was the only Led Zeppelin song i liked at the time. It was also one of the first albums I bought that was written before 1990. It's a bluesy, folksy, largely acoustic album. It was not the kind of music I should've liked then, but I did. I really liked it. It helped get me into Led Zeppelin, who are now one of my favorite bands, as well as get me interested in checking out classic rock bands. It opened the doors to a lot of music that I now love.

From Mars To Sirius - Gojira: Gojira is one of my favorite bands and a huge influence. Listening to them always get my creative juices flowing. This might not be their best album, but it's my favorite.

Yellow & Green - Baroness: Baroness is one of my top 5 bands and a huge influence. Now I know this isn't everybody's favorite Baroness album, but it is mine. Maybe just because it was the first album I bought by them, but I just adore this album.

Chaos Of Forms - Revocation: This isn't the best Revocation album, that'd be their self-titled album. In fact this is probably one of their weaker releases. Some of the songs don't come together as well as they should, but there's a lot of experimentation and creativity on display on this album. It may not be their tightest work, but its looseness allowed for a lot of great moments. It's the album that really made me fall in love with Revocation.

The Man Who Sold The World - David Bowie: I don't have a lot to say about this one. I heard it for the first time earlier this year and I love it. I can easily see myself still calling it a favorite years from now.
Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Calfium Jay wrote:There's no way a person's "Top 10 Favorite albums" could ever remain static.
well it's essentially remained the same for me for 10+ years ... my list continues to reflect the music and experiences that helped define me as an individual on various levels and through various aspects of life. They are intrinsically linked in unforgettable experiences. A few fluctuate by certain bands and my next 10-15 faves probably rotate wildly with time, but I have a hard time finding that music will ever effect me in a way that will replace those I consider timeless or directly influenced nearly every other piece of music I felt worth listening to from then on. I'm not selecting a top ten based on what I like right now, or what is the most technical or well produced records I've ever heard. These records have never left my regular rotation.

My 10 favorite albums is absolutely static, as certain as you may be.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

No particular order as of today, bound to change next week.

QOTSA - Rated R
TOOL - Ten Thousand Days
MUSE - Black Holes And Revelations
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Red Bee - Ictus
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Queen - A night At the Opera
The Mars Volta - Francis The Mute
Chris Cornell - Songbook
Bosnian Rainbows - Self titled
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."