Favourite Live Gigs

Music in all its forms and styles
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Favourite Live Gigs

Post by Busty McCracken »

So the forum's kinda quiet & I was chatting with Mattw in the Tool thread about different gigs we've both been in attendance at over the years, got me thinking to do this thread up. Just another generic top 10 type thread, but hey I'm bored & I thought it might be another good way to open each other's eyes up to some bands we might not usually talk about on this forum & also to get on our own soapbox & relive past glories. They don't necessarily have to be gigs by your favourite bands, more just those gigs that caught you by surprise or had a massive impact on you. Tried to condense to top 10, but wound up as 11..

Tool - 2001 Sydney - First time I saw the band & they blew my fucking mind wide open. Touring Laterlaus & playing in (my opinion anyway's) the prime of their career. Will be hard to top.

Faith No More - Sydney Soundwave 2015 - Finally got to see FNM at Soundwave in 2011 & was a dream come true. Caught em at Soundwave & their side show & both were great gigs, with varied setlists, but something about this most recent gig. They were just perfection & are the best ageing band still going in my opinion.

Cog - System of a down support slot Sydney 2000 - I was massively into SOAD after their debut album & was keen as to get to see their first visit to Aus shores. Was told by a mate to make sure I catch Cog as the support band. SOAD were actually a pretty terrible live band in their early days & anyone that saw Cog in their early days, knows just how powerful a trio they were. Have never seen a support band blow the main act apart so badly before or after this gig.

Metallica - Sydney 2010 - Sadly missed Metallica in their hey day, first catching them in 1998. Was great to see them playing old school again in 2004, but the in the round shows wins for me in 2010 + they played Orion which = instant win.

Xavier Rudd - Kuranda Ampitheatre 2006 - Aussie multi instrumentalist, Paul simon / Ben Harper sounding. In the rainforest with the hippies with a monsoonal trough hanging above. The gig was almost called off with torrential tropical rain overhead. Such a great energetic gig in the pouring muddy rain.

Fishbone - Sydney 2007 - My cousin told me to check these guys out. Didn't know a single song. There was only about 150 people in a place that holds a couple thousand. Took them a while to get the small crowd going but I've never seen a band turn a small crowd into a frenzy like these guys did through pure persistence. Played a crazy 3.5 hour set. was great.

A Perfect Circle - Sydney Soundwave 2013 - Sadly also missed out them in their hey day. Was expecting to hate the set being a day time festival set. Immediately followed Slayer & they nailed it.

Rammstein - Brisbane BDO 2011 - Never liked them, was waiting for Tool to play at a festival set on the stage next to them. Took me all of 20 seconds to convince me to run over and watch them as the earth literally shook from their sound. See them if you ever get a chance.

Slipknot - Sydney 2000 - Metal sucked, Pantera had broken up, Metallica had gone to shit, NU metal was at it's peak. Craziest atmosphere I've probably ever felt before a gig.

Fat Freddy's Drop - Tanks Art Centre 2010 - Extremely had to categorise. Played their album 'Based on a true story' in the defunct album of the week thread on here and everyone enjoyed. See them if you ever get a chance.

Kyuss Lives - 2011 - Had heard for years how Kyuss blew Metallica off the stage opening for them in Australia 1993. Wasn't a big fan but flew down to see them on reputation alone. Fucking amazing gig!!
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Favourite Live Gigs

Post by hellboy »

Here's a list of my favorite shows:

L7 + Cosmic Psycho's @ Bridegway Tavern 1992? - Memorable as it was really the first show I ever went to. A buddy and I got their bright an early so we could get front row. Both bands were amazing.

Faith No More @ Thebarton Theatre 1993 - From memory this was the second show I saw after L7 and it was certainly the best performance I've seen from FNM. A band, who have never failed to deliver live were certainly at their peak back in 1993.

Living Colour @ Thebarton Theature 1993 - Another standout from a sequence of 90s bands I checked out as a late teen. I was already a big Living Colour fan, but after seeing their exceptional talent of all four members on display, I was converted into a huge fan. Shame I had to wait over 20 years to see them again!

All You Can Eat + Propagandhi @ Crown & Anchor 1994 - Great show, significant because it started me on a path away from the usual metal/rock bands I was into at the time.

The Jesus Lizard @ The Tivoli 1997? - I'd witnessed the Jesus Lizard at the Big Day Out a year before, and was impressed enough to go see them on their pub tour. They had a reputation as one of the best live acts around, and this show certainly reinforced that.

TISM + Regurgiator @ The Unibar - I can't remember when this show was, mid-90s I guess. Regurgitator weren't really on the radar on the music scene yet but put on a great show. TISM were memorable as always, inviting couples in the crowd onstage to make out during the set.

Primus @ Heaven 1996? - Primus really sucked that night

Mr Bungle @ Adelaide Uni 2000? - definitely in my top 10 shows. Mr Bungle were great a couple of years earlier as well, but the California show was sublime.

Tool @ Adelaide Entertainment Centre 2002 - the best Tool show I've seen with the band at their peak of the Lateralus tour.

Geek Tour Tomahawk/Melvins/Fantomas @ The Arena, Brisbane 2003 - Pretty much a dream lineup for me, and while the sets were fantastic it was somewhat ruined by some overly loud and obnoxious feedback Patton left the stage with following Fantomas (who were on first).

Shellac @ Fowlers 2011? - I never thought Shellac would tour Oz again, and when they did I was blown away as expected

Big Day Out and other Festival sets:
Big Day Out 1993 - Mudhoney and Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy where the standouts for me. Sonic Youth were great as well. First Festival I ever went to, not sure how I didn't die of heatstroke since it was 43 that day.
Big Day Out 1994 - Soundgarden, The Breeders and Def FX were the real standouts here. This day reinforced for me that the Ramones are a largely unremarkable act that I could never understand the appeal of.
Big Day Out 1995 - Ministry were the clear standout act here, putting on a great performance
Big Day Out 1996 - Probably the best of the Big Day Outs. Rage Against The Machine were amazing, The Jesus Lizard outstanding and The Prodigy blew me away with their take on rock infused dance music.
Big Day Out 1997 - Soundgarden were great, but the rest of the day a little meh.
Big Day Out 2000 - Nine Inch Nails were a revelation after a few years of BDO mediocrity (not to say I had a bad time at them, but there weren't many standout sets).
Big Day Out 2001 - Rammstein were as much fun as I expected and Queens of the Stone Age were great as well. At The Drive In were fantastic as well for the two songs they played.
Big Day Out 2003 - Kraftwerk put on a great experience to wind down what was a busy but somewhat forgettable day
Soundwave 2009 - NIN, Alice In Chains and Dillinger Escape Plan all put on killer set in what was the beginning of a pretty good run of Soundwaves
Soundwave 2010 - Faith No More proved that even after a lengthy break they were one of the best live acts around
Big Day Out 2011 - After a great show in Melbourne a couple of nights before, Tool went on a put on one of the best headline sets at a BDO I've seen. A stark contrast to their 2007 BDO set.
Soundwave 2011 - It had been a long time since I'd seen the Melvins, and it was worth the wait!

I may add more to this as I think of them!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

All I can think when i read that list is Fuck you!!! Man you saw some amazing acts in their prime. Am surprised to hear about Tool BDO. Have seen them play 3 BDO sets and they ranged from terrible to , good without being a patch on their sideshows.

Almost added Regurgitator in my list from their set on a side stage at BDO , 2005 I think it was. Was never a fan and wound up seeing them closing the side stage by chance & was one of the best sets Ive ever seen at a BDO. They were great fun live.

Forgot to include RATM sideshow Sydney 2008 I think it was.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

RATM in 2008 were pretty good, but no where near as memorable as back in the 90s. Regurgitator always put on a great show as well. Record wise they're a bit hit and miss, but I can't say I've ever seen them live and not had a good time.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah I knew seeing them in 08 wouldn't be a patch on their maiden voyage here but gotta work with what ya got I suppose.

And yep, totally agreed, have seen Gurge twice more and had a cracking time both times.