Korean cinema is AMAZING!

'I Saw The Devil' is brilliant.

Refn's 'Only God Forgives' leaked.

It didn't leak, it's On Demand in the states ffs

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I suggest we have a film of  the week in conjunction with album of the week, those who feel they think they have some knowledge of film could put their hand up, I've got a great website with a huge streaming collection of movies if your  not worried about quality, fuck I have a lot of films to recommend.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said
I suggest we have a film of  the week in conjunction with album of the week, those who feel they think they have some knowledge of film could put their hand up, I've got a great website with a huge streaming collection of movies if your  not worried about quality, fuck I have a lot of films to recommend.

I'm up for this. One movie that I've mentioned before is actually available on YouTube, somehow. I've been trying to write a review of it for the past three months, but it's not working. I'd love to be able to share it.

Many people don't know, but movies like "1984" are actually available on YouTube.

I pointed that out in support of this idea. I'm keen . . .

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Fuck it, do a book of the week as well.

Hear me out:

The concept would be where I (for example) offer a book that I'm fairly sure the majority of us have read. For the week, we would basically discuss anything and everything to do with the book.

We wouldn't actually be picking a book WE HAVE TO read in a week, you see. It would more be as a point for discussion.

All facets of the written word covered, of course. Should a member (The Boss) choose a poetry or short story collection available online, for example, then members would be expected to devote a solid twenty minutes of their time familiarising themselves with the material.

At the very least, it's worth a shot. I would argue that this, and the film idea of Tyson's, would generate some pretty meaningful discussion.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'm all for most of these ideas, however a book a week is probably too much for most.  Unless it were a short one, I'd be hard pressed to do a book more than a month.

Edit: I see you're not actually proposing reading a book a week.  In theory I'm for the idea, not sure how it'd go in practice.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

The Boss said

Euurr I just watched 1994 man, wait I meant 1984, I'd edited it but I just typed it LOL where iss my nigger gf, did I mention I have a nigg anyway this film was cool because fuck the goverment yall, they are wait lol I just saw this awesome youtube clip about something, uh, vice is a cool webssite

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Love you brother :p
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said

The Boss said

Euurr I just watched 1994 man, wait I meant 1984, I'd edited it but I just typed it LOL where iss my nigger gf, did I mention I have a nigg anyway this film was cool because fuck the goverment yall, they are wait lol I just saw this awesome youtube clip about something, uh, vice is a cool webssite

I haven't actually watched "1984" yet. I even have it downloaded.

I see that you're drunk. Well done, good sir. I'm working on it.

Love ya too, man.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
I'm all for most of these ideas, however a book a week is probably too much for most.  Unless it were a short one, I'd be hard pressed to do a book more than a month.

Edit: I see you're not actually proposing reading a book a week.  In theory I'm for the idea, not sure how it'd go in practice.

Fair enough. Like I said, it would be a choice we'd be sure we've all read. "1984" seems to be the topic tonight, so I'd use that as an example.

The thread would start as "Hurr durr, I'm Tyson, and I'm a brony. I think "1984" sucks, and here's why. It's basically a political essay, but for the inclusion of Julia. Huruuuurrrrpppp, put pineapples on my penis."

Then the discussion would go from there.

Like I said, it's worth a shot, at the very least. If it turns out to be a terrible idea after a month, then no real harm done.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I haven't either, I should just eat and go to bed

I was just trying to make you laugh.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said
I haven't either, I should just eat and go to bed

I was just trying to make you laugh.

Oh, I laughed.

Why go to bed. Drink beer and fap.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, Oldboy was a good movie.  I wouldn't call it mindblowing, as I managed to spot the twist fairly early in the piece.  Half the problem of knowing there's a big twist in the movie is that I tend to be on the look out for it early on in the piece.  Should have gone in with no expectations I guess.

I'd probably give it an 8/10
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
Well, Oldboy was a good movie.  I wouldn't call it mindblowing, as I managed to spot the twist fairly early in the piece.  Half the problem of knowing there's a big twist in the movie is that I tend to be on the look out for it early on in the piece.  Should have gone in with no expectations I guess.

I'd probably give it an 8/10

That's fairly solid, considering the fact that you kind of knew what was coming.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Wow, shit load of activity on this thread.  

@ Hellboy - I watched Oldboy many years ago (probably the year it released) and barely remember it.  I do remember being impressed.  I was going out with a half Korean chick and remember she hated it.  Curious about the twist, as I don't even remember that.  I may have to revisit.

@ Tyson - I would like to see a MOTW, but not sure I'd be able to keep up.  At the very least, I'd have shit to add to my queue.

@ Crow - BOTW, hmmm, I have really dropped off on my reading, plus I have a fairly embarrassing SciFi/Fantasy bent.  I doubt I would be adding much to the conversation, but I'd be interested to lurk.  Go for it.

Edit: that was a totally different Korean flick.  NM.
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan said

@ Hellboy - I watched Oldboy many years ago (probably the year it released) and barely remember it.  I do remember being impressed.  I was going out with a half Korean chick and remember she hated it.  Curious about the twist, as I don't even remember that.  I may have to revisit.

@ Tyson - I would like to see a MOTW, but not sure I'd be able to keep up.  At the very least, I'd have shit to add to my queue.

@ Crow - BOTW, hmmm, I have really dropped off on my reading, plus I have a fairly embarrassing SciFi/Fantasy bent.  I doubt I would be adding much to the conversation, but I'd be interested to lurk.  Go for it.

(Loving the fact that I'm still "Crow". Seriously, I dig).

Might not have explained it as well as I should've, so I'll try once again: It's more aimed at books that most of us HAVE DEFINITELY READ. Your classics, for example: "MOBY DICK". "THE CATCHER IN THE RYE". The neo-modernisms (Palanhiuk, Danielewski, et al). Kafka. Fucking Hemingway. That kind of stuff. Yeah, with bits of Martin and Jordan for the sci fi/fantasy flock as well. Also with flashes of stuff you can consume online - Luis Borges, for example. RRaymond Carver. Sylvia Plath. All easily found online.

I'd really like to get a weekly discourse on books, short stories, and poems, that we've all read, and have opinions of, but haven't really been given the chance to sit at a keyboard and state our real views on them. Again, I think a discussion of "1984" would throw up some interesting insights into the minds of regular members here.

It's hard to discuss books on the fly in regular conversation, you know? I think a deliberated discussion on our favourite books would ultimately be quite fruitful.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan said

Gyopos, as they're called, are the fucking worst - they hate everything. Loss of identity, and all that.

Like, get over it, you know.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan said 

The only twist I noticed in the movie was:

[spoiler]that the girl Oldboy was fucking was his daughter.  The moment of revelation in the movie wasn't a real surprise for me as I'd worked this out around about the time he was flashing back to the school.[/spoiler]

In regards to book and movie discussions, my suggestion is we go with a Book of the Month and Movie of the Month system, similar to the Album of the week one.  We then stagger the two month ones so that they are revealed each fortnight.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Do you want to organise one, the other, or both - or do you want to throw the heavy reigns over to one of us?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Happy for one of you to run with it.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

/crow runs both

/each time of the 'randomised' process crow is the first to turn up
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

I'll grab the book one. I'll start be making a thread where we can get people to opt-in.

I don't really understand what you said about "my suggestion is we go with a Book of the Month and Movie of the Month system, similar to the Album of the week one.  We then stagger the two month ones so that they are revealed each fortnight."

Does this mean that one week we do a book, then the next, a film?

If so, no worries. Sounds good.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said

hellboy1975 said

I'll grab the book one. I'll start be making a thread where we can get people to opt-in.

I don't really understand what you said about "my suggestion is we go with a Book of the Month and Movie of the Month system, similar to the Album of the week one.  We then stagger the two month ones so that they are revealed each fortnight."

Yeah, the concept of having one a month is that it gives the chance for those interested to read/watch the book/movie if they're interested.  That concept may be a little slow though, so I'm easy on how it actually pans out.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

The Boss said

hellboy1975 said

Yeah, the concept of having one a month is that it gives the chance for those interested to read/watch the book/movie if they're interested.  That concept may be a little slow though, so I'm easy on how it actually pans out.

So, take it in turns? First fortnight* the book, second fortnight, the movie? I also vote Tyson takes care of the Movie of the Week (Fortnight).

Might be slow going, but we'll never know until we start. I say we see what people think before deciding. Is that cool?

* Fear not, little American - a "fortnight" is merely a two-week interval.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

can't wait!!
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

I've been waiting for this...