Artist of the Day

Music in all its forms and styles
joeypants
Goderator

Re: Artist of the Day

Post by joeypants »

OK last one. I really wish they would go back to doing stuff like this. I miss hearing these at the end of each album.

Do Pink Floyd next.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I really dig Mastadon's studio work, but they didn't deliver when I saw them live.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ettan wrote:I really dig Mastadon's studio work, but they didn't deliver when I saw them live.
From what I've seen on YouTube, they are very hit or miss live, especially on the harmony vocals. I happened to catch them on a good night and they were excellent live IMO.

I'll get another chance to judge them mercilessly in March. Looking forward to it, as Clutch will be opening (along with Big Business).

Coincidentally, Clutch would be an excellent Artist to include in this exercise.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I was a late convert to Mastodonism, mostly due to the growly vocals, but also the manic drumming/rhythm section turned me off a bit. I totally appreciate the proficiency, don't get me wrong, but it's a little overwhelming.

Oddly, The Hunter was where I really started to appreciate them. I know I am in the extreme minority here on Fourtheye, but I definitely dig The Hunter and Once More Round The Sun more than their earlier work. I have since gone back and very much appreciated all of their prior work, but there are still tracks that I skip on each of them.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

joeypants wrote:Do Pink Floyd next.
Seconded.

Can we use the "Seconded" method to add to the Artist of the Couple of Days list? Like you did for the Fourtheye Bandcamp list?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Shit, I forgot Kiss was suggested/agreed upon? Do Floyd after Kiss then, don't want to derail. I can't stand Kiss by and large so it would be interesting to me.

Kittan, I fucking LOVE The Hunter as well. I came in around Blood Mountain, so I appreciate all the older stuff but I truly feel some of their absolute best work is on The Hunter and OMRTS.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Aunt Lisa is a killer track.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Naattik wrote:
joeypants wrote:Do Pink Floyd next.
Seconded.

Can we use the "Seconded" method to add to the Artist of the Couple of Days list? Like you did for the Fourtheye Bandcamp list?
Maybe, but since we'll do about one a day I don't see that we have to second anything. It's likely we can get through most suggestions in a reasonable time frame.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Ettan wrote:Aunt Lisa is a killer track.
this.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

To digress, I loved crack the skye... probably more the second half (sans vocals)... I am a big Mastodon fan... Brent Hinds is an awesome guitarist...

I never got into KISS and honestly don't know much about them, other than the songs that have been in movies etc... I appreciate that they were an influence on a lot of people that I admire though....
Be good to each other.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

KISS.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Well...
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

The perfect Kiss mixtape:

Strutter
Watchin' You
100,000 Years
She
God Of Thunder
Take Me
Goin' Blind
Anything For My Baby
Hard Luck Woman
Deuce
I Stole Your Love
Parasite
Radioactive
Strangeways
Do You Love Me?

Let the madness begin....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

[youtube][/youtube]

!!@!!

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The perfect KISS mixtape is a blank tape.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Now that we have that out the way - who's next? Pink Floyd?

I don't think Pink Floyd are really interesting at all, so won't post anything here. What do you guys thinks?
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Pink Floyd if we can honor joeypants kind wish.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

you.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

were.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

here.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Kiss - I was into them in my adolescence. They were my first rock concert when I was 13, I think? Around the time Kiss Alive was out. Once I realized how simplistic and formulaic all of their shit actually was (later that same year I believe), and started exploring much better music, I took all of their albums / posters, etc to my local used record store and got a nice store credit. Used that to score all sorts of excellent new shit and never looked back. For someone as out there musically as you are Cal, I seriously don't get how you can still be a fan of that music. It should be at the top of the list of bands that you ridicule as a hipster dufus extraordinaire. I don't think you've ever addressed that dichotomy. How about it?

@ Pink Floyd - This was one of the bands that my store credit introduced me to! I destroyed multiple copies of most PF vinyls with repeated listening over the years. I'm not a huge fan of their earliest shit, but I do appreciate the evolution. While I don't actively listen to them on a regular basis any more, when I do feel the urge, I usually go with Animals. That really hits the spot.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Catch up time:

Metallica was my first metal love back in 85-86ish. Loved them right through justice and saw them in third grade on that tour, my first real rock show until years later when I went to see nirvana.

Mastodon held a lot of potential way back when and have been on a slowly ex celebrating decline since leviathan.

Kiss is one of the single worst acts of that era I can think of. Their music is obviously built made for idiots to gobble up like Britney Spears and others of that ilk, except they have black make up and pyrotechnics. Much like Raven stated, the best kiss mixed tape doesn't exist and in a perfect world, neither would Kiss.

Floyd were gods of their time. Ummagumma scared the shit out of me as a kid. They have multiple masterpieces, so hard to choose one, but I did just score a mint wish you were here vinyl for 10 bucks at a local market.
Last edited by petemasterpete on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Well, high fives to store credits! Dancing around the harsh reviews, huh!? CJ likes KISS for a reason to this day. If you're joking around with CJ, I ain't mad atcha- I dig a knave from a wave of a river of deceit.

Who's gonna put quarters in the jukebox and play Pink Floyd?
I've got a 'saucerful of secrets'= 1/4ers
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

petemasterpete wrote:Catch up time:

Metallica was my first metal love back in 85-86ish. Loved them right through justice and saw them in third grade on that tour, my first real rock show until years later when I went to see nirvana.

Mastodon held a lot of potential way back when and have been on a slowly ex celebrating decline since leviathan.

Kiss is one of the single worst acts of that era I can think of. Their music is obviously built made for idiots to gobble up like Britney Spears and others of that ilk, except they have black make up and pyrotechnics. Much like Raven stated, the best kiss mixed tape doesn't exist and in a perfect world, neither would Kiss.

Cloud were gods of their time. Ummagumma scared the shit out of me as a kid. They have multiple masterpieces, so hard to choose one, but I did just score a mint wish you were here vinyl for 10 bucks at a local market.
That is beauiful. WYWH for 10, enjoy as I know I would.
Cloud is a great band name- autocorrect or Cleoud

Fat White Family next
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Yeah, just stupid autocorrect BS
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining