Roguelike gaming

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Roguelikes are the grindcore of gaming.  

Don't let that put you off though, they are generally simple games, quite often ASCII text only, and variations on a theme.  However they all have their own flavours, and many have more depth then what is apparent on the surface.

Generally speaking, a roguelike is an turn based RPG of sorts, generally played out on randomly generated levels.  Traditionalists usually play them in a permadeath type setting (ie if you character dies then there's no resurrection).  Quite often a roguelike will push a "theme" of sorts, sometimes that theme is a certain genre, sometimes it's some kind of game mechanic.

Examples of roguelikes include the traditional Nethack and Angband variants, the Diablo series (which use many roguelike traits) and more complex "sims" such as Dwarf Fortress.

Each week (or whenever I remember) I shall endeavour to present to you a new Roguelike.  I'll try and stick to the free ones, however I reserve the right to occasionally plug a commercial roguelike.  First instalment coming soon!

Comments, suggestions and discussion is encouraged!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Name: Brogue

Type: ASCII based RPG

Cost: Free!

For the first roguelike I'd like to introduce a roguelike that embraces many of the characteristics of the genre.  Here's the description from the developer:

You are the @ symbol. Move around the dungeon with the mouse, the vi-keys (hjklyubn) or keypad keys. The arrow keys will also work, but they do not allow diagonal movement. Your goal is to travel to the 26th subterranean floor of the dungeon, retrieve the Amulet of Yendor and return with it to the surface. For the truly skillful who desire further challenge, depths below 26 contain three lumenstones each -- items which confer no benefit except an increased score upon victory.

A pretty typical description for a roguelike - the Amulet of Yendor being a goal shared by many roguelikes.  Where Brogue really makes it's mark is in it's usability, and it's untraditional gaming mechanics.  

Being a text based roguelike, it's best controlled with the keyboard, however much effort has been spent in making the game work equally well with a mouse.  For those intimidated by keyboards, but wanting to get into text based roguelikes, this is a great starting point.

Mechanically, it does away with a range of typical RPG tropes.  The only skill is strength, and this skill dictates what weapons and armour you can use effectively.  It also has a limited range of weapons, with the focus of the game being on enhancing the weapons via scrolls of enchantment.

It also does away with spells by introducing charms and staffs that recharge themselves.  Experience and levelling is removed also, replace by a mechanic that allows players to upgrade their avatar by drinking potions.

RPG traditionalists may argue that some of these things removed over simplyfy the game, and that may be true, but there is much depth in the roguelike.  Personally while I don't agree with all the design decisions, it's clear this game is written with a goal to challenge  the traditional play mechanics of RPGs and roguelikes, and personally I commend that mission for innovation.

Give the game a try this week, it's free so there are no excuses.  Let's see who can get the furthest in the dungeons of Brogue...

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Great change of pace. I'm in.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I have to say I'm reminded of this game.

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So has anyone had a go a Brogue yet?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

No... maybe later when I get bored or something.  I've been kinda busy lately, so I'm not really in the mood for trying to figure out some text-based roguelike.  I'll probably download it this weekend.

Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
So has anyone had a go a Brogue yet?

No, I'm waiting for the weekend.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.