Opiate reissue to be signed?

username
Maynard Believer

Post by username »

I'd love to get my hands on this but personally I think it's pretty absurd for Justin to be signing a copy of Opiate when he wasn't even remotely involved in the project. Don't get me wrong, Justin's the man but I mean the band should have more respect for their former bass player, afterall I am assuming he will get royalties for this release. Heck, maybe he's the one that pushed for it considering his new band has already fizziled out by the looks of things lol
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

Any ideas based on previous sales what time they go on sale on the 26th? midnight? 10am? And whats my fourtheye price? well I was aiming for $150-200 for all 5 before learning they are being signed, now....hmm.... like others have said I do feel $100-125 is a fair price for their sigs,but as some posts have said they're not interested in something just because it has their signatures on it especially if you are someone that already owns something with their signatures. I do have a collectors bug, but spending $500-$600 for all 5 editions (assuming they go with the $100 price of course)? So I'm thinking I'd spend $300-350 personally and live with not having all five unless there are more left in the next few paydays to complete the set.
smithersSOCAL
Bronco's Fan

Post by smithersSOCAL »

I put zero value in it. it's nice and all as a fan but bands charging extra for a signature is really tacky.

I got a signed Melvin's poster from their last show in SF.. it's got this rad upside down cross piercing goofys head. $30 bucks. buzz and co. and don't charge extra for the privledge of owning something they signed.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

smithersSOCAL said
I put zero value in it. it's nice and all as a fan but bands charging extra for a signature is really tacky.

I got a signed Melvin's poster from their last show in SF.. it's got this rad upside down cross piercing goofys head. $30 bucks. buzz and co. and don't charge extra for the privledge of owning something they signed.

The Melvins are no strangers to offering collectible items at inflated prices. The fact they don't charge extra for autographed posters is more to do with supply and demand than some kind of moral high ground.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I think if the band gave out loose leaf paper with their signatures on it,  $100 wouldn't be a steep price. It's Tool. If you're talking how much something is "worth" in monetary terms, they've gone multi-platinum on 3 of 4 LP's, platinum on the 4th. The whole release plus autographs from the entire band is worth it. We're fans on this band, right?
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

It will probably be around midnight ET. I'm really hoping to cop these. I wish Blair would just release the info already. Keep checking Facebook?! How about you just post it on the website already...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Bogart said
It will probably be around midnight ET. I'm really hoping to cop these. I wish Blair would just release the info already. Keep checking Facebook?! How about you just post it on the website already...

Blair probably doesn't know.  Tool do need to tighten up the communication between themselves and the entities that are Toolband/Blair and the Store.

I'm sure Blair will have information for us prior to the sale - we just need to be patient. I don't think they'll go on sale at midnight for what it's worth.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

username said
I'd love to get my hands on this but personally I think it's pretty absurd for Justin to be signing a copy of Opiate when he wasn't even remotely involved in the project. Don't get me wrong, Justin's the man but I mean the band should have more respect for their former bass player, afterall I am assuming he will get royalties for this release. Heck, maybe he's the one that pushed for it considering his new band has already fizziled out by the looks of things lol

Interesting point you bring up.  I wonder if Paul will receive any royalties from this release.  Knowing Tool and the way they operate, one would imagine they have wrote Paul out of everything much the same way they did with Cam de Leon.  Justin has no business signing that.  Not a knock on Justin at all, but he wasn't involved in the creation of those songs.  Genuinely a shame that Paul isn't somehow involved in this re-release.

insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

Tyson said

insertcrypticnameher said
so 1 in 5 is signed meaning you have to open it find out. Can't see them being more than $50.

Someone failed both math and english

I guess I'm retarded then since "1 of EACH of the 5 variations of 1000" can't mean 5 total (which is what that sentence literally means).
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

mogeffingmog said 
I wonder if Paul will receive any royalties from this release.  Knowing Tool and the way they operate, one would imagine they have wrote Paul out of everything much the same way they did with Cam de Leon.  

That's pretty standard industry practice.  Paul would have signed some kind of contract or waiver to give away his rights to royalties I would imagine.  The court notes from the recent Josh Homme vs Kyuss Lives court case contain a good example of how this stuff normally works.

Genuinely a shame that Paul isn't somehow involved in this re-release.

I agree, would have been nice to see his name on the cover (no doubt he's at least mentioned in the liner notes).  Have no problem with Justin signing it though, he is part of Tool after all.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy1975 said
Have no problem with Justin signing it though, he is part of Tool after all.
Not an issue of worth.  Justin is more important to Tool and the better bass player imo.  I just genuinely feel for Paul.  I think most of us around for the Undertow years respect the hell out of Paul.  I know all of it became too much for him, and the addition of Justin was certainly for the better.  At least Danny hasn't forgotten him completely, appearing on Paul's last album. 

Strange thought, but I wonder if THAT was the second big issue.  Did Danny piss off the other guys by playing music with Paul?  Food for thought.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

Seems like a lot of their things get released around midnight ET. Of course, I think it's 9 PM LA time. I could be wrong though. I just remember thinking, "Goddamn, I gotta work tomorrow but I gotta stay up to get this."

I was more referring to Blair releasing the details about the Opiate EP, not necessarily the sale time. I imagine the interview he did with AJ will be released in the next few days. Hell, it may just be included in the March newsletter.
InFlamesOfBirchmen
My pain is just an excuse

Post by InFlamesOfBirchmen »

Any chance they re-recorded the material with Justin? I know they said there wouldn't be any bells and whistles, but it seems insane to charge so much for 20 minutes of music and a signature. Sorry if this has already been addressed.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Tyson said

so 1 in 5 is signed meaning you have to open it find out. Can't see them being more than $50.

I guess I'm retarded then since "1 of EACH of the 5 variations of 1000" can't mean 5 total (which is what that sentence literally means).

Dude, they are talking about the "Golden Tickets" when they said "1 of EACH of the 5 variations of 1000" - for a total of 5 "Golden Tickets".  

Apparently all 5,000 copies will be signed by the entire band.  There are 5 variations of 1,000 each for a total of 5,000.  Hope that clears it up.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

InFlamesOfBirchmen said
Any chance they re-recorded the material with Justin? I know they said there wouldn't be any bells and whistles, but it seems insane to charge so much for 20 minutes of music and a signature. Sorry if this has already been addressed.

I would guess zero percent chance of this.  Would be something I would absolutely be interested in hearing though, if it ever happened.  I don't think it was addressed earlier.
Ki77aan :twisted:
insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

Kittaan said

Tyson said

Dude, they are talking about the "Golden Tickets" when they said "1 of EACH of the 5 variations of 1000" - for a total of 5 "Golden Tickets".  

Apparently all 5,000 copies will be signed by the entire band.  There are 5 variations of 1,000 each for a total of 5,000.  Hope that clears it up.

Thanks. I said I was retarded didn't I? 
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

mogeffingmog said 
Strange thought, but I wonder if THAT was the second big issue.  Did Danny piss off the other guys by playing music with Paul?  Food for thought.

I dobut the other members of Tool have given it any thought.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan said 

Where did year hear that kittaan?
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

hellboy  adam said it in his post......danny said he signed 2000 yesterday on COS
go taff!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy1975 said

mogeffingmog said 
I wonder if Paul will receive any royalties from this release.  Knowing Tool and the way they operate, one would imagine they have wrote Paul out of everything much the same way they did with Cam de Leon.  

That's pretty standard industry practice.  Paul would have signed some kind of contract or waiver to give away his rights to royalties I would imagine.  The court notes from the recent Josh Homme vs Kyuss Lives court case contain a good example of how this stuff normally works.

Genuinely a shame that Paul isn't somehow involved in this re-release.

I agree, would have been nice to see his name on the cover (no doubt he's at least mentioned in the liner notes).  Have no problem with Justin signing it though, he is part of Tool after all.

Paul signing this re-issue would be the only incentive I can see, personally, as a fan, of actually shelling out for this
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

The sigs dont change anything for me.Im not an autograph hunter and couldnt give a shit if they wiped their bellends on each copy. I still think its lame and ive no interest in buying it,hope all you suckers manage to get hold of a copy though!! 
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

It will  help them hold their value obviously but fuckin hell there are much better investments out there dont you think? As a tool fan id appreciate some new/unheard of music over a signed piece of cardboard that I may be able to make 50 dollars on some day.Thats just me though!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Oop bit too negative there maybe! Sorry! Is this a game changer for anyone though? Will anyone buy it now for the autographs? Im still a bit irked by the 'for the fans' comment cos I just dont see that there is really that much in it for the fans!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Sorry for going off topic too but why did Paul leave?