Where are you going/Where have you been? Travel advice, info, questions, etc.

For discussions that don't fit inside the other forums
Forum rules
Threads should remain on topic. Unnecessary trolling and bickering posts will be deleted. Some light hearted banter will be tolerated. Controversial topics such as racism, paedophilia and such will be deleted. The beatings will continue until moral improves.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Re: Where are you going/Where have you been? Travel advice,

Post by ilikecheese »

markuspoop wrote:Plus it's usually much harder to stumble upon a black bear and her cubs (or any other awesome wildlife) if you're just hanging out in your neighborhood.
"The Pike (Northern) will not sneak into your bedroom at 6 a.m. so you can smother it with your pillow."

--Something an uncle told me a long time ago, on fishing (and life in general).
i.e.
Make it happen. Get off your ass.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Elondriel wrote:Just curious, what is the interest in hiking? I'm impressed with some of the mountains you have climbed.
I actually live in the Blue Mountains, perhaps I need to go on more walks. I guess you don't really appreciate the place you live in. Canyoning is definitely out though.
Pretty much just answered your own question.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

What's everyone's thoughts on first-aid kits? Take up too much room in your backpack, or vital and necessary?

I went years without one until I nearly busted my ankle on a mountain here in Korea.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on first-aid kits? Take up too much room in your backpack, or vital and necessary?

I went years without one until I nearly busted my ankle on a mountain here in Korea.
I always carry a first kit if I'm doing a walk that's something other than around suburbia. Things that go with me on any significant walk are:
  • A couple of Elastic roller bandages
  • Emergency Space Blanket
  • Triangular bandage for slings and such
  • A bunch of bandaids and other similar bandages
  • A whistle
  • Map & Compass
  • My GPS
  • Raincoat
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

All I need is a pocket knife, rope and some bleach
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

And that's just to get out of Redfern
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on first-aid kits? Take up too much room in your backpack, or vital and necessary?

I always carry a first kit if I'm doing a walk that's something other than around suburbia. Things that go with me on any significant walk are:
  • A whistle
  • Map & Compass
  • My GPS
  • Raincoat
No sacrificial goat?

Man, you're doing it wrong.
Don't mow your lawn
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

ilikecheese wrote:Image

[Aussie]Now that's a knife[/Aussie]
Professor of Lesbian Science
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

hellboy wrote:

• A whistle
  • Map & Compass
  • My GPS
  • Raincoat
Man you just made me feel like such an under prepared idiot with that list.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Well, your Android or Apple (lol if anyone is a Windows device user) device would be your GPS - I don't have a phone, but my Galaxy Player still has functioning GPS, if the map is preloaded (and why wouldn't it be).

Everything else Leljoy (man, that was a reach) listed can be considered part of a First Aid kit.

He forgot a multipurpose knife. I carry one around everywhere. You never know when you need to saw something. Or use it to intimidate a potential rape victim.

The whistle was a nice touch. I'd just use my fingers (that's what she said).

I have a shitty little umbrella. I should probably consider a plastic poncho instead.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:Well, your Android or Apple (lol if anyone is a Windows device user) device would be your GPS - I don't have a phone, but my Galaxy Player still has functioning GPS, if the map is preloaded (and why wouldn't it be).
Yeah, they're not a bad option. However I find that a purpose built outdoors GPS is much more resistant to being thrown around and immersed in water, not to mention getting a shitload more battery life. And as a bonus, should said batteries run out you can usually just replace them with AA's (you can in the case of mine anyway).

That said, out of the things I've listed, the GPS is probably the least useful item.
The Boss wrote:Everything else Leljoy (man, that was a reach) listed can be considered part of a First Aid kit.
Definitely, in fact the items mentioned are all kept inside my First Aid kit. It's a small bag about 20cm x 15cm and about 3cm deep. Considering I usually walk with a decent sized pack, it's no real imposition.
The Boss wrote:He forgot a multipurpose knife. I carry one around everywhere. You never know when you need to saw something. Or use it to intimidate a potential rape victim.
I did forget to mention that, however I do keep my trusty swiss army knife in my first aid kit.
The Boss wrote:The whistle was a nice touch. I'd just use my fingers (that's what she said).
Using your mouth can be pretty effective, but try doing it 100 times.
The Boss wrote:I have a shitty little umbrella. I should probably consider a plastic poncho instead.
Goretex ftw. The main reason for carrying a rain coat isn't to keep dry, it's to counter act Murphys Law. Nothing summons rain more than forgetting to pack your coat.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I've always been very wary of Goretex, on the basis that it seems to me to trap (out) vapor and liquid more than it lets circulate. Not sure what my FILA boots were, but those bastards never let water in, yet never got sweaty.

And they definitely weren't Goretex.

Mind you, I've yet to try a pair - as I'm just not sold on the technology.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Aside from my dog
the first thing on my check list is
ALWAYS water.

Water ftw
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

The rainforest is so dense up here, it's generally easy enough to make out the remnants of where the track is headed, so a GPS isn't really high on list of things I should have. Might have to invest in some bandages if anything at the very least on account of snake bites or sprained ankles etc. Other than that, I will be taking a poncho & tying it over my backpack next overnight hike I do after copping some torrential rain, which not only saturated my gear but added unwanted extra weight to our packs. Going to be doing that Mt Bartle Frere again in 4 weeks time. Will be the 2nd attempt, hopefully get better weather this time around.

And like CHeese said, Water for the win!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Busty McCracken wrote:The rainforest is so dense up here, it's generally easy enough to make out the remnants of where the track is headed, so a GPS isn't really high on list of things I should have. Might have to invest in some bandages if anything at the very least on account of snake bites or sprained ankles etc. Other than that, I will be taking a poncho & tying it over my backpack next overnight hike I do after copping some torrential rain, which not only saturated my gear but added unwanted extra weight to our packs. Going to be doing that Mt Bartle Frere again in 4 weeks time. Will be the 2nd attempt, hopefully get better weather this time around.

And like CHeese said, Water for the win!
Seems to me like you're missing an opportunity Busty! Add a rain trap to the top of your pack to supply you fresh water while you hike!

But seriously, sounds like you had a blast, I remember you mentioning that trip years ago. Hope it goes even better mate.

I try to get out and walk (4-10 miles) at least once a week. It seems to be the only exercise I can commit to on a regular basis that doesn't tweak my aging body. Still have to watch prolonged downhill runs due to my fucked up knees. I think a long trek in Thailand about 20+ years ago did them in. Never been the same since. I was with my girlfriend at the time, and I was either pushing or pulling her for much of it. Not wise in retrospect, but she was having a hard time.

Have you guys ever heard of Tepuis? This is something that has been on my radar for nearly 20 years, but I've never been able to make it work. Now I'm not sure I can handle it, but it's on my bucket list. I've been among them, at the base, but never ascended. Truly awe inspiring to see them in person.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/05/ta ... is-of.html

Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

It would be awesome if we could all get together and do a proper trek, like Kilimanjaro, or something . . .
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:I've always been very wary of Goretex, on the basis that it seems to me to trap (out) vapor and liquid more than it lets circulate. Not sure what my FILA boots were, but those bastards never let water in, yet never got sweaty.

And they definitely weren't Goretex.
Goretex lets the water/moisture out just fine. In fact that's the main selling point of that particular fabric. And my experience is (and that of all my outdoorsy friends) is that it performs as advertised.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:It would be awesome if we could all get together and do a proper trek, like Kilimanjaro, or something . . .
I'm thinking of going to Basecamp in 2015...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:Image
Looks like my old jacket. Came in handy when it was minus 32 degrees in Beijing.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:It would be awesome if we could all get together and do a proper trek, like Kilimanjaro, or something . . .
https://basecamp.com/

???
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:
hellboy wrote:
https://basecamp.com/

???
Nah, already been there.

This one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everest_Base_Camp
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I was going to do it when I went to Nepal, but absolutely did not have time. I reckon a proper four week trek in the Annapurnas would be more rewarding.

Then again, it's fucking Everest Base Camp. Over 5,000m. Absolutely insanity. You really feel it once you pass around 2,500 on any mountain, I think.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:I was going to do it when I went to Nepal, but absolutely did not have time. I reckon a proper four week trek in the Annapurnas would be more rewarding.
You're probably right. I'm still not sold on Basecamp, but it seems to be the basis of discussions with friends (a bunch of us turn 40 that year).

Other options are China, which I hear is pretty cheap at the moment, and I've been inspired by these photos:

http://www.redbull.com/en/adventure/sto ... -explorers