June 2013 Musical Review

Music in all its forms and styles
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'm bored today, and to combat that boredom I shall recap all the new albums I listened to in the month of June, and provide a short review.  If this proves successful then I may continue doing this in future months (feel free to add you own short reviews btw).  The albums reviewed are basically anything I downloaded this month, not necessarily new music.  

Here goes:

Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner: Not sure why I downloaded this - I think it was due to a film clip I watched that was quiote funny.  This album wasn't as funny as that particular clip sadly, but does have its moments.  6/10

The Mark Of Cain - Retaliate (single): This popped up on what.cd in June, and it had a couple of b-sides I hadn't heard before.  One called Introspection was ok, while th other was a little bland.  I can see why they were b-sides. 5/10

Anciients - Heart of Oak: Seems like a hip band at the moment so I downloaded the album.  Sounds like a cross between Mastodon and High On Fire which isn't a bad thing.  Needs more listens but for now 7/10

Beady Eye - BE: I like Oasis, but the last Beady Eye album was crap.  This one is marginally better, but still shit.  3/10

Black Sabbath - 13:  By the numbers Sabbath.  I mentioned in another thread it's like listening to an old Sabbath album all over again, but without any of the originality.  Can't think of a reason I wouldn't just listen to Paranoid or Master of Reality.  4/10

Fever Ray - Fever Ray: Downloaded as part of the Albums of the Month.  I didn't mind the album, though I don't know I'd listen to it all that often. 6/10

Bosnian Rainbows - Self Titled: Surprisingly good.  The first track I heard a few months back a little bland, but the album as a whole has really grown on me.  Could see this appearing in my best of 2013 list. 8/10

Kinoko Teikoku - Eureka: Was recommended to me by Pete who heard about it from Blender.  It has one really good track, and the rest is just ok.  5/10

Multiple Man - Multiple Man: Interesting Aussie Electro-punk.  Needs more listens but I'd go with a 6/10 for now.

Popstrangers - Antipodes: I think these guys are from New Zealand.  Kinda of a pop indie type band.  I really like a couple of tracks off the album, but the rest falls a little flat.  If you like 90s indie then this is worth a listen.  6/10

Tesseract - Altered State: Vocals are awful and the music derivative.  Struggled to listen to the whole album. 3/10

Retox - Ypll: Picked this up late in the month and haven't really listened enough to form a full opinion on it.  Genre is punkish rock kinda along the lines of Refused.   Feeling like it may be a 7/10

Sigur Ros - Kveikur:  Actually been able to listen to the whole album without getting bored unlike other Sigur Ros albums, so I'll give it a 6/10.

Kanye West - Yeezus: Interesting album.  Respect for the way Kanye writes his music.  Album dies in the ass pretty quickly after the first 5 songs.  6/10

Palms - Palms: Can't say I'm disappointed as it sounds pretty much exactly as I expected it to.  The boring bits of Isis combined with the boring bits of Deftones.  5/10

POOR - Extinction of Trust: Not enough punk/grind/crust this month, but this album was excellent, and one I need to spend more time listening too.  8/10

Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus: Only listened to this once and the feeling was quite positive.  Giving a 7/10 for now pending further listening.

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses: Worked out the other day I'd never given these guys a chance before.  Not sure I really needed to bother.  4/10

The Roots - Things Fall Apart: I was told I should check these guys out, and I did.  Listened to the album only once, and I don't mind it's organic instrumental flow as opposed to a lot of other hip hop out there.  Requires further listening. 6/10

Television - Marquee Moon: I have this in my June playlist, though I'm not sure I've really listened to it.  Grabbed it as they are playing the ATP Festival in October that I'll be attending.  Will rate it 5/10 for now but could go either way.

So there we have it.  Feedback is welcome, as are suggestions of what to listen to in July.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Black Sabbath- 13

I like it. I've never been a big Sabbath guy so I was pleasantly surprised by it. Tracks 4-7 are as good as anything they've previously done in my opinion. Ozzy's death/dying/etc lyrics are actually less corny to me now that the group is much older. Think about it, they were corny back then, at least more than the present. 7/10

Fever Ray- Fever Ray

I tend not to like this type of music but I dug this. Not a great voice but she knows how to use it. 7/10

Dust- Hard Attack, Dust

Blair saying Tool might cover a song of theirs made me curious to look them up, and I'm glad I did. Good, fun stuff. I'd recommend it to anyone in this forum who hasn't heard them. Within 15 seconds of "From a Dry Camel" starting you can easily see Tool covering it. Go listen to them! 8.5/10

Palms- Palms

Eh, didn't do much for me. I'll give it another listen in a couple of weeks. 5/10
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said 
Dust- Hard Attack, Dust

Downloaded that yesterday and haven't listened yet. Will be in my July thread!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I wonder how much attention Blair's mention has gotten them. I doubt I ever would've come across them otherwise.
Hey! Denty!