Steam Summer Sale . . .

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Why hasn't this thread been created yet?

I'm on about AU$60 for about ten games (I think).

Bought and finished "MIRROR'S EDGE". Holy fuck me sideways is that game awesome. I found the whole premise, palette, and movement quite off-putting at first - but once I got the hang of it, oh man. Also, it's probably the only game where I've died, like, a billion times. The trial-and-error aspect was a little much, as well; but you'd have to be completely useless to not get some of the runs EVENTUALLY.

Huge win. Scored it for around $5, I think.

Most games I've bought I got for between $5 and $10. I'm looking for bang for my buck. Anything around >$15 is a no-go for me.

Started "CRYSIS" this morning, so that's what I'll be doing tonight, rather than my usual beer and "GOTHAM CITY IMPOSTERS" while listening to "YEEZUS" decompression from the week giggle-fest. (Yes, I have incredibly lame taste in games, and I'm also six years behind games).

So, where are we with regard to the sale?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

It's been a good sale thus far, though to be honest being a Steam user for many years now I've long since purchased most games I've aspired to owning.  I have picked up a few so far though, but only about $15 worth so far, in particular FEZ, System Shock 2 and Deadlight.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

So if I got your password Crow, would I still have to download the game onto my machine to see if I actually got a graphically good machine?

I'm thinking yes.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

First Summer Sale for me, as I'm a pleb - but I've read online that many people feel that it's been pretty average.

Should I expect some crowdpleasers in the dying days of the sale?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said
So if I got your password Crow, would I still have to download the game onto my machine to see if I actually got a graphically good machine?

I'm thinking yes.

The what now?

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said
First Summer Sale for me, as I'm a pleb - but I've read online that many people feel that it's been pretty average.

Should I expect some crowdpleasers in the dying days of the sale?

To be honest by the end of the sale they've started repeating things, so being that we're about half way through I expect we've seen most of the bargains already.

Based on todays sales I'd suggest Mount & Blade and Deus Ex Human Rev are pretty good bargains.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

It's been a pretty average sale.  I've only spent $10 on Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, and the Witcher 2.  I was hoping to grab Bioshock Infinite, for $20 or less, but i've only seen it at $30.   

Easter Egg: at the top of the sale there are 2 cards to the right of the featured daily deal.  If you click on the card behind the card (right now it's torchlight) and drag it to your desktop or an open browser, there is tomorrow's featured deal. 
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Umadbrah? said
It's been a pretty average sale.  I've only spent $10 on Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, and the Witcher 2.  I was hoping to grab Bioshock Infinite, for $20 or less, but i've only seen it at $30.   

Easter Egg: at the top of the sale there are 2 cards to the right of the featured daily deal.  If you click on the card behind the card (right now it's torchlight) and drag it to your desktop or an open browser, there is tomorrow's featured deal. 

Oh, right on. Still pretty lame.

I was waiting on "ALICE: MADNESS RETURNS" going for $10. It kinda did for a while, but when I went to checkout, it leapt to $25, or something ridic.

Not sure why the prices change sometimes from the opening screen to the checkout. Annoying, as it's happened quite a few times for me.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The Boss said

Bought and finished "MIRROR'S EDGE". Holy fuck me sideways is that game awesome. I found the whole premise, palette, and movement quite off-putting at first - but once I got the hang of it, oh man. Also, it's probably the only game where I've died, like, a billion times. The trial-and-error aspect was a little much, as well; but you'd have to be completely useless to not get some of the runs EVENTUALLY.

Mirror's Edge is great, but I was kinda by the more combat heavy final levels. Running around a parking garage with a heavy machine gun is not really what I wanted from the game.

Started "CRYSIS" this morning, so that's what I'll be doing tonight

Cryisis is another great game that ends up losing steam towards the end. I never actually finished it because of how terrible that spaceship section was.
Don't mow your lawn
Pilgoid
Bronco's Fan

Post by Pilgoid »

Stop playing computer games, they rot your mind.

Having said that I'm into Wargame : AirLand Battle, 150 hours of that but I do need a break from it now as it was taking too much time up. Great game though and it was on the Steam sale the other day, foolish not have not got it for those who don't.
Pilgoid
Bronco's Fan

Post by Pilgoid »

UndKeineEier said

The Boss said

Mirror's Edge is great, but I was kinda by the more combat heavy final levels. Running around a parking garage with a heavy machine gun is not really what I wanted from the game.

Cryisis is another great game that ends up losing steam towards the end. I never actually finished it because of how terrible that spaceship section was.

I really liked the art in Mirror's Edge, even the song. I didn't like the game too much, its really like a race but there's scope to get quite good at it which is great.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

My picks for this morning are:

Skyrim Legendary Edition for  $30 (great value for those that don't have it)
Monaco for $7.44
Torchlight 2 for $4.99 - better than Diablo 3

If the next Community Choice poll goes the way I voted, then Retro City Rampage will be on sale shortly for $3 - great 8-bit GTA knockoff well worth the money.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Pilgoid said

UndKeineEier said

The Boss said

I really liked the art in Mirror's Edge, even the song. I didn't like the game too much, its really like a race but there's scope to get quite good at it which is great.

LOL, I've been cranking the song for the past two days, and my girlfriend has been constantly checking to see if I have a vagina. I really like the song, and thought it fit with the vibe of the game perfectly.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

vagina
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Pilgoid
Bronco's Fan

Post by Pilgoid »

The Boss said

Pilgoid said

UndKeineEier said

The Boss said

LOL, I've been cranking the song for the past two days, and my girlfriend has been constantly checking to see if I have a vagina. I really like the song, and thought it fit with the vibe of the game perfectly.

Don't worry, it's manly to have these feelings!
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

How's that Surgeon Simulator?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Umadbrah? said
How's that Surgeon Simulator?

It's a fun game:

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Yep, grabbed that for a couple of bucks. Not sure if playing it while a bit drunk right now is the best idea.

Might be a fucking great idea, come to think of it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Well, after fifteen minutes, I finally know how serial killers feel.

Delighted!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just picked up Euro Truck Simulator 2 for $10.  Seems pretty fun so far.  Somewhat meditative.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
Just picked up Euro Truck Simulator 2 for $10.  Seems pretty fun so far.  Somewhat meditative.

I just couldn't do it. Apparently it's surprising in its enjoyment factor - but I'm just not willing to take the risk.

And $10 is insane to me.

Do you get meth with it?

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

A couple of decent sales today:

Knights of the Old Republic 2 for $3.39 - great price for this Star Wars based RPG
Just Cause 2 for $2.99 - criminally underrated game.  Bargain if you don't already own this.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Very disappointing sale, to be honest. The first few days were great - now that I have what I want, they just keep repeating or putting up lame as fuck "retro"-looking shitty games.

It's 2013. I'm not playing anything 2D. That should go without saying.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said
Very disappointing sale, to be honest. The first few days were great - now that I have what I want, they just keep repeating or putting up lame as fuck "retro"-looking shitty games.

Repetition is something they do every sale.

It's 2013. I'm not playing anything 2D. That should go without saying.

It's your loss.  Not saying that all retro themed games are good, but there are some truly amazing indie games out there.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

I'm between 2 games.  Saints row 3($5) or Bioshock Infinite($30)?  Anyone played both?  Is bioshock worth the price difference?