Tool Covers

The Main Event
basejumper
Droner

Re: Tool Covers

Post by basejumper »

Really liked that video of the breakdown. Damn I'm getting excited for new Tool music!

Professor of Lesbian Science
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:It's a good breakdown of how the song functions, but it doesn't really explain how any of that shit makes the song "great" though.
All of those elements contribute. If you are a Tool fan, you likely already know the reason the song is great. Maybe you’re just not a true Tool fan?

#BanUKE
#Sad
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Kittaan wrote:All of those elements contribute.
Do they? So a song needs ~50 meter changes to be great? The aspects he points out are interesting but he doesn't really spell out how those come together to make a "great" song. A great song isn't just about key changes, metric modulation, an awesome drum fill, and a heavy riff. It's about how they are implemented and come together to form the song. Like a lot people think it's the former and that's how you end up with bands like Dream Theater. You could make almost the exact same video about a Dream Theater song and it would be equally valid.
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

That's an interesting video. Very cool.

I'm still continually driven nuts by these things where the people can't play the riffs correctly though.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:
Kittaan wrote:All of those elements contribute.
Do they? So a song needs ~50 meter changes to be great? The aspects he points out are interesting but he doesn't really spell out how those come together to make a "great" song. A great song isn't just about key changes, metric modulation, an awesome drum fill, and a heavy riff. It's about how they are implemented and come together to form the song. Like a lot people think it's the former and that's how you end up with bands like Dream Theater. You could make almost the exact same video about a Dream Theater song and it would be equally valid.
Agreed. I like Tool’s music because it sounds bad ass, I don’t give a rat’s ass about complexity or any of that mumbo mumbo.

On any random day I enjoy Maynard’s Dick (obligatory heh) as much as Schism.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Exactly. Like I think what makes any given Tool song great is that the complexity is there if you want it but it's all grounded in good songwriting. Like I don't think Schism is such a well liked song just because it has a bunch of time changes but that's what the video kind of implies. And considering how many people out there think more complexity = better music, I think it's worthwhile to dig into how to do it in a meaningful way.

Like this video just seemed like a more articulate version of that guy who's like "check this song out it has so many time changes, and oh my god that riff's so cool, and oh man check out this drum fill," which is fine I guess, but I just wish it went a little deeper.
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

The best part of the video is hearing the isolated tracks. Oh, what I wouldn't do to get my hands on those.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

joeypants wrote:The best part of the video is hearing the isolated tracks. Oh, what I wouldn't do to get my hands on those.
Pretty sure it's all done with ProTools. It isolates the tracks when a song is uploaded without actually having the original tracks

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Nah, Pro Tools can't do that at least not without a (presumably) high end plugin. Those are most likely the Guitar Hero stems.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, Guitar Hero was my first thought as to where he got the isolated samples from.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

This may be old news to some, but here is a breakdown of Lateralus. I have known the Fibonacci sequence was in there for a while, but never knew how deep.

Edit: just saw Ziggy posted this a few days ago in the social media thread. Great minds and all that...

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Nah, Pro Tools can't do that at least not without a (presumably) high end plugin. Those are most likely the Guitar Hero stems.
]

Nothing can to that degree of quality. Just not how sound works.

I thought it might be Guitar Hero too. There's a lot of bleed over in some of the tracks which makes me think it came from Guitar Hero.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Ravenpig wrote:
On any random day I enjoy Maynard’s Dick (obligatory heh) as much as Schism.
Maynard's Dick has always been in my top three, always will be
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Top 3 songs or Dicks?? Asking for a friend.

Does anyone know if there's a story behind that? Just that its so different and generic for them Im wondering if there's any kinda story, like they needed an extra song to fill out time to make a set. Or its just Tool being Tool?
Listen to All Them Witches
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Maynard's Dick isn't even a Top 25 song about penises. I mean, there are 9 members in Slipknot alone isn't there?
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

12 if you count the members with 2 dicks each
also, Avatar!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Busty McCracken wrote:Top 3 songs or Dicks?? Asking for a friend.

Does anyone know if there's a story behind that? Just that its so different and generic for them Im wondering if there's any kinda story, like they needed an extra song to fill out time to make a set. Or its just Tool being Tool?
I thought they were just dicking around in the studio
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

tys0n wrote:
Busty McCracken wrote:Top 3 songs or Dicks?? Asking for a friend.

I thought they were just dicking around in the studio

^ May well of been written with them just dicking about in the studio but it's been around long before Salival. Probably just them as ya say stuffing around having a giggle, but is so insanely different to anything else they ever put out, was just curious if there's any kind of story out there anyone's heard.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Very true. So insanely different than the multiple songs about buttholes and penises on Undertow and Ænima.

*Edit - After thinking about it, now I am curious if the fans that continue yearning for Tool to return to their Undertow/Ænima era sound actually are craving more phallic and anal references.
Last edited by Bill Hilly on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

You forgot Part of Me on Opiate
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

There's more to a song than lyrical content.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

[youtube][/youtube]
Canned audience laughter
oliviabr
Maynard Believer

Post by oliviabr »

One of the bestest TOOL drum cover I ever saw so far! True masterpiece of 46 and 2! ENJOY! :shock: :shock: :shock:

What do you think guys?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I don't recall seeing these posted, but feel free to complain if I missed it... like I need to tell you.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

There are actually 5 versions of this, with different tykes participating (they will likely show up in the list on the right, but if not, check the YT page). Pretty interesting, and some of these kids can really sing/play.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Not enough big breasted ladies doing drum covers these days - has that trend passed?