Rate all the Tool and Tool-related albums in one big list!

The Main Event
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Re: Rate all the Tool and Tool-related albums in one big lis

Post by Pimple »

1. Aenima
2. Lateralus
3. 10,000 Days
3. Salival
4. Undertow
5. Thirteenth Step
6. Mer De Noms
7. Opiate
8. Money shot
9. CoMP
10. Emotive

Up until recently Lateralus has always been first but I listen to Pushit and Thirdeye so much... As for Undertow I love Paul's bass playing and given it is really all I have to listen to (from Paul) I listen to it frequently. I also like that in many ways it was their genesis given most of these songs were written before Opiate was released. I am also drunk.... :ugeek:
Be good to each other.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

01 Tool - Ænima
02 Tool - Lateralus
03 APC - 13-th Step
04 Puscifer - Money Shot
05 Tool - 10,000 Days
06 Tool - Undertow
06 Puscifer - V is for Vagina
07 Puscifer - COMP
08 APC - Mer De Noms
09 Volto! - Incitare
10 Pigmy Love Circus - The Power of Beef
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Aenima
Lateralus
10,000 Days
Salival
Undertow
Opiate
Mer de Noms
13th Step
The Power of Beef
C is for...
COMP
Incitaire
V is for...
MTVoid
Emotive

Not gonna include Money Shot in there yet.
Hey! Denty!
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

I guess I'm near alone but I like Undertow better than Aenima. I think it's because Aenima songs have been played to death on the local radio and Undertow seems so much more emotional to me. Songs 1-9 anyhow not a huge fan of 10.

1. Lateralus
2. Undertow
3. Opiate
4. Aenima
5. Power of Beef
6. COMP
7. 13th step
8. V is for
9. Volto Incitare
10. Mer de noms
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

10kD didn't rate at all?!

There have been a couple surprises in the top 2 so far.
Ki77aan :twisted:
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

Alittlevil wrote:I guess I'm near alone but I like Undertow better than Aenima. I think it's because Aenima songs have been played to death on the local radio and Undertow seems so much more emotional to me.
Understandable. I fast forward past the Aenima radio songs most of the time when I listen to it.

Kittaan wrote:10kD didn't rate at all?!
Yeah. Sup with that?
From bearded clam cums bearded jam
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

man a year ago or so i got ripped by members of this forum for saying that Power of Beef was better in my mind than 10,000 Days. And to be honestly they are about the same for me. But if i counted right, so far 1 people have put Power of Beef ahead of 10,000 Days.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Loulz
Hey! Denty!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:man a year ago or so i got ripped by members of this forum for saying that Power of Beef was better in my mind than 10,000 Days. And to be honestly they are about the same for me. But if i counted right, so far 1 people have put Power of Beef ahead of 10,000 Days.
I don't really remember that, but you certainly bring it up a lot.
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

Lateralus, Undertow, 10k days, Aenima

Perfect Circle has two tracks, Gravity and Hollow wich are okay...sort of...
Puscifer is a bad joke
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

If my swift skimming count is right, Lateralus is 9 people's favorites and Aenima is 6 people's favorites.

When Aenima came out it took a few months to grow on me, then it hit me one day when I was jamming it at full blast. I became a Tool fan and at that time my brother was the only other person that I knew that got into Tool (1996).

When lateralus came out I was blown away and they instantly became my favorite band. My girlfriend and I went to the Tool show at Allstate Arena when they came to Chicago for the Lateralus tour. The day was 9/9/2001. I was blown away! I had to see more...so my brother and I traveled to Ohio and Michigan to see 2 more shows later that week. 9/11 consumed 95% of conversations for the next few months. All I could think about was Tool lol. I look back and think about those 3 shows I saw in a span of a week and it was one of the most enlightening things in my life. I had an epiphany and it opened new doors in my mind in how I saw things.

Anywho, Lateralus blows away Aenima in my eyes.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I think for many (well, for me at least anyway) the decision to rate one over the other can change at quite short notice. Some days I prefer Lateralus, some days I prefer Aenima.

For me it can come down to the difference between wanting to hear Maynard sing, or to hear the other three playing at their peak. For me Aenima is the stronger album vocally, and MJK's work is at it's high point there, while on Lateralus the musicianship shown by Danny, Justin and Adam it top notch.
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

hellboy wrote:I think for many (well, for me at least anyway) the decision to rate one over the other can change at quite short notice. Some days I prefer Lateralus, some days I prefer Aenima.

For me it can come down to the difference between wanting to hear Maynard sing, or to hear the other three playing at their peak. For me Aenima is the stronger album vocally, and MJK's work is at it's high point there, while on Lateralus the musicianship shown by Danny, Justin and Adam it top notch.
I get that. It used to sway back and forth for me. It may again.

I'm thinking that the new album will be a very different direction for them and I have big expectations.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I think what will change on the new album is Maynard's approach to vocals - I reckon we'll see it toned down somewhat to suit his more mature vocal cords. I expect the music provided by Adam, Danny and Justin will be as heavy as ever though, but I'm sure there will be plenty of more chilled moments to go with it.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Moments where the music just cracks a mothereffin beer and watches some royalty free football.
Don't mow your lawn
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I was far too obssessed with Metallicas early catalogue in my early teen years, so even though i was aware of Tool, i never really gave them a proper go. It wasnt until Metallica had gone full retard that a mate convinced me to give Eulogy a listen telling me id love it. That was about 1999 so from there on in i became obssesed with Aenima and played it on repeat every day for a long time... So as great as Lateralus is and is probably a more complete and mature album, my memory of discovering Aenima will always leave it as number 1 for me..

Aenima
Lateralus
Undertow
10,000 days
Opiate
Salival

13th step
Mer der noms
Stone & Echo
Emotive

Puscifer

COMP
Money shot (this will prob overtake COMP for me soon though)
And the rest of Puscifer here..

Cant really compare the 3 acts against each other, but my preference of artists is in order...
Listen to All Them Witches
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

Busty McCracken wrote:I was far too obssessed with Metallicas early catalogue in my early teen years, so even though i was aware of Tool, i never really gave them a proper go. It wasnt until Metallica had gone full retard that a mate convinced me to give Eulogy a listen telling me id love it. That was about 1999 so from there on in i became obssesed with Aenima and played it on repeat every day for a long time... So as great as Lateralus is and is probably a more complete and mature album, my memory of discovering Aenima will always leave it as number 1 for me..

Aenima
Lateralus
Undertow
10,000 days
Opiate
Salival

13th step
Mer der noms
Stone & Echo
Emotive

Puscifer

COMP

Cant really compare the 3 acts against each other, but my preference of artists is in order...
I dig your username. Welcome, Mr McCracken.
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

1) Lateralus
2) Aenima
3) 10K Days
4) Undertow
5) Mer De Noms
6) Thirteenth Step
7) Opiate
8) Salival
9) Puscifer Dont Shoot the Messenger
10) Puscifer Donkey Punch the Night Away
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

lo7us wrote:
Busty McCracken wrote:I was far too obssessed with Metallicas early catalogue in my early teen years, so even though i was aware of Tool, i never really gave them a proper go. It wasnt until Metallica had gone full retard that a mate convinced me to give Eulogy a listen telling me id love it. That was about 1999 so from there on in i became obssesed with Aenima and played it on repeat every day for a long time... So as great as Lateralus is and is probably a more complete and mature album, my memory of discovering Aenima will always leave it as number 1 for me..

Aenima
Lateralus
Undertow
10,000 days
Opiate
Salival

13th step
Mer der noms
Stone & Echo
Emotive

Puscifer

COMP

Please... call me, Busty. We're all friends here. Cheers bud, its more welcome back than a welcome. Been away for a while, but hellboy sorted us out so should be here bit more regularly now. :D
Listen to All Them Witches
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Donkey punch is the worst album Maynard's ever put out. Heck, I even prefer the old CAD albums over it.
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

Postby Kittaan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:37 pm

10kD didn't rate at all?!

Oops I didn't realize that yes please insert 10kD after Aenima and slide everything down 1. Damn I even double checked it three times lol.
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

interesting, as much as I love the words and vocals on Aenima (especially Stinkfist and Pushit) i think Maynard shows the peak of his carrier in Lateralus (just as the other 3 members). Every single track gives me goosebumps and Maynard has a huge part in that.
ZUG
Bronco's Fan

Post by ZUG »

I can see in theory why Lateralus rates higher for most but for me personally I know why Aenima takes the top spot. I remember going to the mall the day it came out, thinking the lenticular case was pretty cool and then promptly dropping (and cracking) it as I waited for my bus home. I didn't even know the album existed until earlier that day when eating a slice of pizza in the local shop I was thumbing through one of those free music zines and saw an early review.

At the time, that album was like nothing that came before it and it was still sort of an era where you didn't know very much about Tool, what these guys were all about individually, etc. It seemed almost a little bit scary, how good the music was, the subject matter, the artwork. All I had to go on was Opiate, Undertow (including the terrifying inner art), the music videos and two bootleg VHS tapes I bought at the local market: 92 JC Dobbs Philly and 1995 San Bernardino where they played some early versions of Aenima tracks and ended with a projection of a massive grey alien face on the screen behind the stage. All of that taken in context with some repeated listens of 'Swamp Song' and 'Disgustipated' and of course coming off of 'safer' bands like Metallica, Nirvana and Soundgarden even... this was scary stuff!

But the reason that Aenima rates higher for me is because I feel it's their most psychedelic record; it's psychedelic in a heavy way that gets closer to the intensity of the 'real thing' without trying too hard. They weren't expected to go in that direction, it was a nice suprise. For Lateralus, the 'trippy' band moniker was already in place and as such I find that record a little forced and on-the-nose as far as it saying "hey, look at me, bright colours, Alex Grey artwork, psychedelic themes, gonna blow your mind with all this complexity." But mainly though, I have always really disliked 'The Patient'; I find it simple, repetitive and a little whiny actually. 'Ticks and Leeches' is a bit of the same for me so my impression of the record was always somewhat broken. For what it's worth, I do rate 'D/R/T' to be their best stretch of music to date, especially when considered as a sequel of sorts to 'Third Eye', which I would rate as their second-best single piece of music.

10K Days as a whole would've probably gone over differently with me if they took the artwork in a different direction. As it is, at least to my mind, it all amounts to being derivative and a re-trod of territory they'd already gone over before, 'Intension' being the exception to that generalization.
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

Busty McCracken wrote:
lo7us wrote:

Aenima
Lateralus
Undertow
10,000 days
Opiate
Salival

13th step
Mer der noms
Stone & Echo
Emotive

Puscifer

COMP

Please... call me, Busty. We're all friends here. Cheers bud, its more welcome back than a welcome. Been away for a while, but hellboy sorted us out so should be here bit more regularly now. :D
Welcome back Busty. So fresh and shiny, not rusty.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Lateralus = spiritual, introspective, contemplative. sounds like King Crimson on steroids
Aenima = angry, frustrated. hints of experimentalism and 90's industrial metal flourishes
10,000 Days = proggy, meandering and closer to a "classic rock" sound. the band's most "positive" sounding album.
Undertow = unsure of itself. stripped back with a very Rollins Band feel. hints here and there at what was to come.
Tool V = ???
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris