10,000 Days Reminisced

The Main Event
tys0n
Streeper

Re: 10,000 Days Reminisced

Post by tys0n »

Kittaan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:30 am @Tyson - you gonna add yours?
No?

How about you mind your own business?

Sheesh, the nerve of this guy
Canned audience laughter
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

I bought it, put it on and kind of rolled my eyes.

Then I got wasted, had me some KFC and listened again.

Marginally better.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea

Post by DeadGuyAle »

Let's see...2006. I was already into Tool, having seen them twice on the Lateralus tour, so I was excited when this album came out. I didn't hear/get the leak because I could wait.

I was midway (at the time I didn't know) at my job at a residential facility for kids (wards of state, etc) with a horrible boss. Who here has had a supervisor tell everyone under him to call him "Big Daddy"? Yeah...I did and I refused to call him that. Anyway, he's on his way to the BIG house where hopefully he'll have to call his cellmate big daddy. :lol:

I celebrated being married for a year at that time, first time marriage at age 40. Definitely a big change in my life, especially with an instant family (she had a 4 year old). But it has made me a better man.

Anyway, first time I heard 10,000 days was in my truck, by myself, in the evening. Wow. Wings blew me away, but didn't impact me as much as it did this year. My mother passed way last August (she was 90, lived a good life), but Wings came on and I had my headphones on.

The last words in it tore me up:

Please forgive this bold suggestion, but
Should you see your maker's face tonight
Look Him in the eye, look Him in the eye, and tell Him:
"I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one"
Hallelujah, it's time for you to bring me home
Ghenghis
Maynard Believer

Post by Ghenghis »

Long time lurker. Loved reading this site and the forum to check in on Tool over the years. I used to spend hours reading ToolNavy trying to puzzle together the lyrics of every song around 2007-2010. High school buddy who was Tool fan introduced me to Aenima and Lateralus, but I remember downloading 10,000 Days in 2007 from Limewire and being hooked after hearing Jambi for the first time. Bought all their albums shortly after.

I saw Tool for the first time in 2009 in college. Maynard didn't seem like he wanted to be there. He looked a little buzzed off the wine bottle he was carrying around on stage. Saw them again in 2010 in San Diego where they opened with Third Eye which blew our heads off. Incredible concert that converted friends who were casual fans to Tool fans.

Becoming the obsessed Tool fan lead to the girlfriend being annoyed by how much I listened to Tool and nothing else, listening to Tool with headphones while head spinning after night out, delving into Buddhism, the occult, as well as new agey accessories like hematite rings and quartz bracelets. Dialed all that back in college getting caught up party scene and dabbling in drugs. Got my shit together in mid-20s to focus on career and serious relationship. Now engaged and in management at a hospital.

Biggest change for me since 10,000 Days release was to learn how to put thought into action and walk the walk, not just spew condescending new age BS. To actually put the time in to meditate daily and exercise has made a huge improvement in my life. These two things have kept mild depression and nihilism at bay for several years.

All of my time as Tool fan has been between 2007-present so this is my first time being able to be excited about a new album release.

I really love 10,000 Days. Lateralus is a masterpiece but 10,000 days is what I listen to more than any other album. It's inspiring and moving in a way that I hope the new album will be as well.
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

I was a 16 y/o kid, had just got into Tool via hearing APC track “Passive” on the movie Constantine (cheers Keanu). Couldn’t find them on iTunes, got my tech savvy Chinese mate to install Limewire for me so I could download all of their tracks. Had no idea that a new album was coming out, one day when I opened up limewire there were suddenly a bunch more Tool tracks that I hadn’t seen before on there. Downloaded them all immediately and listened via my tinny laptop speakers. Now I’m 28, good career and actually have the funds to invest in purchasing their albums and splashing out on decent hifi gear and a listening room so I can appreciate this new album properly!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

My initial 10k Days experience was a bit jaded. I was getting over a bad breakup, and I had too much faith that the album was going to make me happy and naturally I had over-inflated expectations. When I heard the production, it was so polished that it took me aback, and there was so much going and it sounded like there were a lot more overdubs than usual for them, like impossible to pull off live kinda stuff. But when I saw them live, all those fears were put to rest and I grew to really appreciate the album and all their music on a different level.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

Me and my bro listened to the album in the car the day it came out. Me and him were pretty close and he was a big tool fan. We saw them July of 2007, last time we got to hang out. Shame he won't be here for the next one. We'd been to every show when tool came to town since '98.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Sorry to hear bro. Will make the new album listen bittersweet but all the more special for ya I guess
Listen to All Them Witches
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I was in the final months of my junior year of high school. I downloaded the leak a few weeks before the album came out. I bought the CD at the local record store I worked at for years.
Calfium Jay wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:51 am I bought it, put it on and kind of rolled my eyes.

Then I got wasted, had me some KFC and listened again.

Marginally better.

:|
Hahaha! That is an on the box review for sure.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.