Tool - is this their last album?

The Main Event
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Re: Tool - is this their last album?

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

I think they have one more in them. This was the last album under their current deal and I bet they have lots of riffs/topics to explore. I am hoping they have a whole bunch of stuff backlogged to be released (DVD's, video's, etc.) under their own label. But what do I know, they may decide to say "fuck it" and leave us wanting more.
St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse

Post by St. Troy »

I've heard several mentions of the significance of this album being the last under their current record deal. Was this deal a problem in some way? Restrictive, financially onerous?
I ain't no pervert; I was just born curious.

I'm your friendly neighborhood peeping Tom.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

St. Troy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:49 am I've heard several mentions of the significance of this album being the last under their current record deal. Was this deal a problem in some way? Restrictive, financially onerous?
Swiped from a reddit thread, which was swiped from Toolshed

In late 1997, Volcano Records filed suit against Tool, claiming the band had violated their contract by seeking / entertaining offers from other labels. Tool filed suit against Volcano, saying that the label had failed to exercise a renewal option in their contract, and so they were free to leave. This ugly deadlock lasted for over a year, when finally, at the last minute, both parties agreed to terms (including a three-record deal), rather than going to court. The band didn't work on much new material during this period, not wanting it to wind up in the hands of the wrong label. Luckily, it all worked out...
Octopod
Maynard Believer

Post by Octopod »

Tool throws a little shade on Volcano on the slip case of Lateralus.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

“Adam’s really cool like that,” he adds. “He’s very precious about the ideas we have and he’s always like, ‘Don’t forget about that, we’ll use it one day. You can’t be frivolous about them. You’ve got to respect the fact that they’re really worth something when you first come up with them and you think they’re good, so don’t throw them away.’ So we have this huge catalogue of stuff that we keep on the backburner.”"
https://junkee.com/tool-interview/219317

Confirmed - - new Tool out soon! ;)
Professor of Lesbian Science
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
beyondzero
Maynard Believer

Post by beyondzero »

Yes.
It's in the FI album artwork.

If you need further proof, they signed a 3 record deal in 98. FI will fulfill this contract.

But the album artwork is not a sign of loss, but of hope.