Danny and Maynard in the Herald Sun

The Main Event
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

someone just emailed me this and I don't remember seeing it here yet, so...

It was a motorcycle... cereally
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

May Jay seems a whole lot chirpier when Danny's involved in the interview with him. Good stuff in this one, though it does add more confusion to everything.
Hey! Denty!
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

"I keep requesting to be involved."

o rly?
SteveBobSteve
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Gracias, Petey.  That's actually my favorite recent interview so far... haven't checked all of the fuckers out yet, but working my way through them all.

"I was drumming with Jeff Buckley and Carole King and some jazz band and playing for a TV show and I figured one of those things was probably going to be successful so I thought I’d do Tool for myself, lo and behold that’s the one that pays the rent now,” laughs Carey, who has to be careful not to chuckle too much as he recently came a cropper."

Couple things...

Not sure if I just forgot or never knew that Danny played with Jeff at one point.  I am well aware of him playing with Carol King and doing other session work back in the day.  For others who are interested, check this out for some interesting links:  Danny and Jeff

I'm getting from context that "came a cropper" means took a spill / had an accident?  Any OZ denizens care to shed some light on this phrase?

Ki77aan :twisted:
insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

what's an "Operator?" like a publicist?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan said
Gracias, Petey.  That's actually my favorite recent interview so far... haven't checked all of the fuckers out yet, but working my way through them all.

"I was drumming with Jeff Buckley and Carole King and some jazz band and playing for a TV show and I figured one of those things was probably going to be successful so I thought I’d do Tool for myself, lo and behold that’s the one that pays the rent now,” laughs Carey, who has to be careful not to chuckle too much as he recently came a cropper."

Couple things...

Not sure if I just forgot or never knew that Danny played with Jeff at one point.  I am well aware of him playing with Carol King and doing other session work back in the day.  For others who are interested, check this out for some interesting links:  Danny and Jeff

I'm getting from context that "came a cropper" means took a spill / had an accident?  Any OZ denizens care to shed some light on this phrase?

Yep, got it in one.

Fair suck of the sauce bottle, that's an odd phrase for a Yank to say . . .
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

What I find interesting about this article is the clear contrast between Maynard's and Danny's attitudes to the next album.  It's hard to tell if Maynard is taking the piss, or if there's some genuine dischord in the band (not that dischord is neccessarily a bad thing).
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
What I find interesting about this article is the clear contrast between Maynard's and Danny's attitudes to the next album.  It's hard to tell if Maynard is taking the piss, or if there's some genuine dischord in the band (not that dischord is neccessarily a bad thing).

From the positive comments from Justin and Adam about not even considering continuing the band without Maynard's vocals and lyrics, I would say it's typical 'Nard trollin'.

Which is a bit sad, but I guess he views TOOL as an instrument for his being pushed into the background. Which is stranger still, considering he's the vocalist.

My guess is that he IS holding-up the process somewhat, and there's some (friendly) bickering within the unit about getting him in to lay down the vocals and lyrics - but that's as far as it goes. They all seemed very relaxed and happy with their little projects, and the progression of the album.

I get the impression that TOOL is something that none of them have ever wanted to force. Correct me if I'm wrong.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

insertcrypticnameher said

It appears they have set up the interviews as conference call.  The operator acts as a moderator. That was an interesting interview.  I'm loving all this activity as of late.  It seems to breath new life in all of us. 
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

badkittygothgirl said

insertcrypticnameher said

It appears they have set up the interviews as conference call.  The operator acts as a moderator. That was an interesting interview.  I'm loving all this activity as of late.  It seems to breath new life in all of us. 

^yup...specifically, he's most likely referring to the 'board operator' ie the person at the board itself, watching the levels, adjusting so everyone is at the same, putting the calls 'through' as in out over the air and not just in 'program' mode which would mean you could hear the music/conversation/etc....but it wouldn't be being broadcast on the waves.....think of it as the guy in the booth, behind the glass type of deal....
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

crow011 said

I get the impression that TOOL is something that none of them have ever wanted to force. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That has definitely seemed like their M.O. since the beginning. DEFINITELY since Post-Lateralus (i.e. "we don't really have too many money worries now, so lets just please ourselves artistically however long it takes" time). 
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I mean, strictly artistically speaking, I've always understood the impulse to just take your time and make damn sure everyone is comfortable and happy with what you've made. Once you reach that point where you more or less have a built in audience and you're financially secure and can truly just be an artist for a living, on your own time, why force anything? 
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Maynard asking to be more involved could just mean that he wants to be kept more updated.  I imagine the way Tool works nowadays it would be fairly for them to go long periods of time without talking to Maynard.  Maynard might not be as involved in Tool as he was 15 years ago, but I doubt he wants to be kept completely out of the loop. 

It could also be Maynard's way of saying hurry the fuck up.
Don't mow your lawn
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

UndKeineEier said

That was my thinking. Yah.
SteveBobSteve
monkeyghostpirate
Maynard Believer

Post by monkeyghostpirate »

snazzlefrass said

UndKeineEier said

That was my thinking. Yah.

Agreed, in my opinion Donkey Punch the Night seems like he's bored as hell, i think he was hoping they would have been done by now as so he can get in while hes got some time before hes gotta go back for harvesting