Tool genre discussion

The Main Event
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

If 10,000 Days is the "blues" album, then what would the other albums be classified as? (that is if there's even an answer to this question)
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Undertow: Punk

Aenima: Metal

Lateralus: Prog

??? (just spitballin here)
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Makes sense. The next record could be their jazz album. What else would be the probable step forward? Danny got a lot of great practice with Volto!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Just because some idiot in a band says it's their blues album doesn't make it so.

Topic is trash.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

10,000 Days is a very blues-esque album. I do have a distant memory of one of them saying that it's their "blues" album. It was most likely Danny. Being the drummer of Tool and all, i think he would know which elements of music are within a Tool album; it certainly fits in with the whole dark and gloomy feel to the album as well. No one is saying that it is a straight up blues album, but maybe something more along the lines of progressive neo-blues metal.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Gwarden said
Undertow: Punk

??? (just spitballin here)

Opiate: Punk

Undertow: Rock

10,000 Days: Blues

Fifth Album: (Jazz?)
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

No it had nothing to do with the blues as a genre, absolutely nothing.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Opiate - Art rock

Undertow - Art rock

Aenima - Art rock

Lateralus - Art rock

10,000 Days - Art rock
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Tyson said
Opiate - Art rock

Undertow - Art rock

Aenima - Art rock

Lateralus - Art rock

10,000 Days - Art rock

No one is saying that Tool is anything but Art Rock/Art Metal. We're talking about the evolution from album to album and the musical structures that each one contains. 10,000 Days isn't blues, but it has elements of blues in it.

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

10k has many elements in it. Some tribal shit too with Danny's work on RI2. I don't hear a blues influence, maybe it's just me. Any examples of where you're hearing blues?
SteveBobSteve
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

children said

Tyson said
Opiate - Art rock

Undertow - Art rock

Aenima - Art rock

Lateralus - Art rock

10,000 Days - Art rock

No is saying that Tool is anything but Art Rock/Art Metal. We're talking about the evolution from album to album and the musical structures that each one contains. 10,000 Days isn't blues, but it has elements of blues in it.

Yeah I definitely heard more Buddy Guy influence than say Meshuggah

Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

snazzlefrass said
10k has many elements in it. Some tribal shit too with Danny's work on RI2. I don't hear a blues influence, maybe it's just me. Any examples of where you're hearing blues?

I'm no expert on blues, but i would say that "Jambi" and "Wings" contain elements of blues
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

children said
I'm no expert on blues,

Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

We're obviously talking about the feel of the album, not the musical genre.

Blues = mournful, soulful.

Wings for Marie is basically a lament. And Right in Two is a lament for the idiocy of the human race. And The Pot has a blues-influenced structure.

Tyson said
Just because some idiot in a band says it's their blues album doesn't make it so.

It was mentioned by Maynard in Revolver magazine interview at the time of the album release. I cant find a link but you'll find people referencing it if you do a google search.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Tyson said

children said
I'm no expert on blues,

Hey, that's what i said. Thanks for pointing that out once again, while adding no comment yourself.

No, i am no musical expert, but i listen to a wide enough variety of genres to notice a similarity in music. The chord progression in "Wings" screams blues to me. If you're a blues expert and your educated opinion says that i am wrong, then i guess i cannot argue.

Is that the case all knowing one?
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

People are kind of missing the point of what children and I were talking about initially. We're talking about the mood/feel of each album, not the actual genre of the music.

I describe Undertow as punk because that's the vibe I get from it - obviously I know it is not punk music. But the attitude feels punk to me.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

toolphishdhs said  

chancellor Tool is far far far far greater than D'Amour Tool 

+1
SteveBobSteve
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

I try to avoid negativity on the internet, but wow this topic has a lot of idiocy in it.

Just a heads up, don't proclaim you're not an expert on a topic and then proceed to give an opinion like an expert.  Doesn't matter what the topic is.

Pro tip:

Use this link and tell us which songs use a progression in the list.  Also, Danny's the drummer, he's not the guys playing chords.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Of course Tool could never be labeled as a single genre. We all know that their music could be described as psychedelic progressive art rock/metal with a hint of world music, but that's completely besides the point.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

phox_ said
I try to avoid negativity on the internet, but wow this topic has a lot of idiocy in it.

Just a heads up, don't proclaim you're not an expert on a topic and then proceed to give an opinion like an expert.  Doesn't matter what the topic is.

Pro tip:

Use this link and tell us which songs use a progression in the list.  Also, Danny's the drummer, he's not the guys playing chords.

amateurs can have opinions too
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

Amateur opinions are constantly laughed at.  You should probably learn to live with that.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

The thought of Tool and blues probably puts a bad taste in some peoples' mouths. Blues, along with jazz, laid the groundwork for what would eventually became rock and roll, prog, punk, metal and whatever other guitar related genres you can think of.
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

A chicken lays eggs.  The thought of eggs tasting like chicken puts a bad taste in my mouth.