The Grudge (WARNING: 26 years to #6?)

The Main Event
tys0n
Streeper

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: Ten Years, Shmen Years)

Post by tys0n »

Just guessing here but the delay with the videos and live dvd could be the fact Tool want to release this last album, be free of their record label for good and then release all the good stuff for mad cash.

OR the more likely scenario they just weren't up to Adam's increasingly bizarre standards and will never see the light of day.
Canned audience laughter
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Gonna go with the second scenario and then if the first ends up being the case cool. Bizarro Adam needs to just lighten up and release everything make that cash and chill the fuck out. Just hording it for all time seems like such a waste.

Of course if there ever is a live DVD (physical and digital release) I imagine it won't come out until a year after they announce since Adam is obsessed with fucking packaging. It would take a year just for him to get the artwork together.

Fuck album artwork in 2019. Gimme a decent cover so it looks nice when I click on the album in ITunes or Amazon Music Player and then get to the fucking music. Fuck plastic.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

So uh when was it confirmed that it's solely packaging holding it up?

It could be other extenuating circumstances holding it back.

Mexicans
Inflation
The Australian federal election
Muslims
Uke
Ravenpig
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I have a feeling the new album will be released in a captain grayskull inspired castle looking thing replete with little Adam & Maynard action figures.

You push a little button and out comes a sound bite 'Stay Alive'
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

To the theme of the Bee Gees?? Sounds legit
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:15 pm So uh when was it confirmed that it's solely packaging holding it up?

It could be other extenuating circumstances holding it back.

Mexicans
Inflation
The Australian federal election
Muslims
Uke
Ravenpig
Okay I cannot in good conscious rule out the Uke/Ravenpig situation. That has indeed shaken the very foundation of all things Tool. I have a source that said that Justin actually cried. Highly reliable source.

Na dude it is the packaging. Digital shit is all worked out. That is easy agree to financial terms and hit upload.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I'm beginning to think that Uke, Raven, Basejumper & one other member that is still hanging around is actually the members of Tool to be honest. My money is on you Mog, I am certain you are Maynard. How lees would you have a reliable source close to Justin and why would you be hating on Adam and knowing so matter of factly that it's solely the packaging holding it up??
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:37 pm I'm beginning to think that Uke, Raven, Basejumper & one other member that is still hanging around is actually the members of Tool to be honest. My money is on you Mog, I am certain you are Maynard. How lees would you have a reliable source close to Justin and why would you be hating on Adam and knowing so matter of factly that it's solely the packaging holding it up??
#Snort
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

Idk if it's just the packaging. Maybe we've they've got some other shut up our their sleeves.

Double album? The second one is all instrumental; slowed down recordings of me Maynard farting and Danny laughing, Justin saying "funny innit" and Adam ululating.

Just saying. #whileyouwerewhiningiwasfarting
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

snazzl3frass wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:48 pm Idk if it's just the packaging. Maybe we've they've got some other shut up our their sleeves.

Double album? The second one is all instrumental; slowed down recordings of me Maynard farting and Danny laughing, Justin saying "funny innit" and Adam ululating.

Just saying. #whileyouwerewhiningiwasfarting
^ +1
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Nothing is confirmed, but I'm scratching my head to think of good reasons the album should be released in late August rather than late-June or July.

The only logical candidates to me would be packaging, possible in regards to how long it can take to get vinyl pressed, or if there's some more elaborate release plan going on, perhaps involving video and/or some kind of movie. I personally think the movie theory is somewhat far fetched, and packaging the more likely candidate.

Another interesting note: Rammstein album is 3 days from release, and no sign of a leak at all. I don't think anyone should get their hopes up of a Tool leak.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Just guessing here but the delay with the videos and live dvd could be the fact Tool want to release this last album, be free of their record label for good and then release all the good stuff for mad cash.
at one of the VIPS Danny was talking about putting that last album out cause of the contract and doing those other things cause ''we make all the money''' so if your guessing your spot on. unless u already knew O o
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

M0G wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:39 pm
Busty McCracken wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:37 pm I'm beginning to think that Uke, Raven, Basejumper & one other member that is still hanging around is actually the members of Tool to be honest. My money is on you Mog, I am certain you are Maynard. How lees would you have a reliable source close to Justin and why would you be hating on Adam and knowing so matter of factly that it's solely the packaging holding it up??
#Snort
I KNEW IT!!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I think it's a no brainer that Tool want to give their record label as little material as possible to release, and that's a likely reason why we've seen almost nothing since the 10k Days release and related singles.

Interesting question is once they are released from their contract, what kind of ownership will they have over their back catalog? I don't see the band suddenly creating more new material with frequency, but if the record label retains all rights to their old stuff, I don't see a rush of re-issues and such happening either.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Can't wait for that Best of Tool releases that have nothing to do with the band!
Canned audience laughter
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

I thought they own all rights to their music, part of the reason nothing gets taken off of youtube and shit right? They took less money to have more control or something I think Adam said once.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

they were pretty smart about that side of things a long time ago. i remember that interview with Adam too. they were offered lots of money but told them to keep a lot of it and let them do what they wanted to. i dont know if that has anything to do with rights to the music but knowing them they prob knew what they were signing for and didnt get screwed like a lot of bands did back in the day.

i just hope we get a full live release of some sorts. i dont really care about remasters cause they end up sucking most the time. i wont hold my breath on anything though ;o with all those live recordings they have that would be pretty amazing!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:55 pm I think it's a no brainer that Tool want to give their record label as little material as possible to release, and that's a likely reason why we've seen almost nothing since the 10k Days release and related singles.

Interesting question is once they are released from their contract, what kind of ownership will they have over their back catalog? I don't see the band suddenly creating more new material with frequency, but if the record label retains all rights to their old stuff, I don't see a rush of re-issues and such happening either.
I suspect they probably worked out percentages and such already with the label when they decided to go digital. Not the kind of thing to fight over on either side too much money to be made. Plus I don't see them doing much with re-issues either. They did that limited Opiate run but I don't think we will see much else. The new album is probably the last thing they are going to do. They claim they will keep making music but I don't buy it for a second took way too long to get this album done. MAYBE we get a single or two down the road, unreleased shit they have full ownership of, but remasters and shit I doubt.

The only real question is Live DVD. They have said they have recorded basically every concert. Since the Live DVD would contain older stuff I imagine the label would get a cut unless their agreement is purely full length albums. Again you would think that has already been worked out too. Come August 30th they are no longer under contact no way in hell all of this hasn't been negotiated and agreed upon.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

snazzl3frass wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 pm I thought they own all rights to their music, part of the reason nothing gets taken off of youtube and shit right? They took less money to have more control or something I think Adam said once.
I feel like I read this somewhere as well but I am not sure. Even then Volcano would still get a cut of all the digital back catalog those albums were released under contract with Volcano. If Tool does own it fully Volcano couldn't do any kind of re-releases or anything like that but I would think they still get a percentage of album sales.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

I think it's safe to say we'll get some live DVD or CD or movie down the road. You may be right about this being the last full album tho. That's why I hope it's a double.

But knowing tool, the expectations are low. Didn't they say they were gonna fix the TA website and make it better. Fucking joke there buddy. Maybe they should work with HB and add exclusive membership to this forum? With exclusive pictures/vids, maybe even live chats with members like the old days? I remember Maynard would enter a chat room and people would go ape shit. "Slow down"
And dare I say, ticket pre-sales.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Agreed Hellboy has done more for Tool in terms of news/updates than Blair. All the years Tool AFK no info nothing Hellboy kept this shit running and giving whatever updates he had. Tool should actually at some point fucking acknowledge what Hellboy has done for them. For years he has essentially been their PR. Fourtheye has been the only relevant Tool news site for a very long time now.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Agreed Hellboy has done more for Tool in terms of news/updates than Blair. All the years Tool AFK no info nothing Hellboy kept this shit running and giving whatever updates he had. Tool should actually at some point fucking acknowledge what Hellboy has done for them. For years he has essentially been their PR. Fourtheye has been the only relevant Tool news site for a very long time now.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

And yes I know Blair did that newsletter interview but fuck that. Fucking Adam and company should actually post something, somewhere, thanking Hellboy.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

Fuck yeah. It's a huge statement to be the #1 source of all things Tool for the last several years. What other band has that kind of fan dedication when they never asked for it. Gave us a medium to channel our rants and anger at the band but at the same time got us together to celebrate it. Tool's like that chick in highschool I used to date: She was annoying as fuck, but damn she did stuff no other chick did, and I respected her for that.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

In fairness I do get free tickets and backstage passes, and Blair did feature me in a recent interview. I'm not after financial compensation, though it would be nice to have access to the band, or a band member this release cycle for a Fourtheye interview (I'm working on this).