The Grudge (WARNING: 26 years to #6?)

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It's HAPPENNING!!!)

Post by hellboy »

Triad sounds really out of place production wise on Lateralus.

Did they add synths and stuff to Lost Keys live? I don't recall ever seeing a version with these.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

hellboy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:44 am Triad sounds really out of place production wise on Lateralus.

Did they add synths and stuff to Lost Keys live? I don't recall ever seeing a version with these.
ya! i think it was adams ''indigo virus'' off to the side of the stage a bit plus a lot of effect pedals or whatever it was they were doing too.

i'll have to look thru some stuff and find it but they def made ''lost keys'' sound better as time went on. i''ll get back to you on that.

exactly about Triad. it sounds like its not even from Lateralus. its weird how they went about that one. you cant even hear what their doing on it really. thats the only bad thing i can say about Lateralus really.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

@bob that’s how i always felt about Triad, i thought i was the only one. The synths should have been louder.
I kind of get why they produced Triad in that way, it’s an ambiguous piece of music, but they were wrong imo, a little tweaking and that song would have been way better.
I still love it though.
I forgot my pen
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

... I guess it have to relisten. Triad has always sounded great to me. Amazing piece of music.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

You're all talking about Triad? Weird. Deep cuts is where the grudge should be.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:51 am Triad has always sounded great to me. Amazing piece of music.
Killer live as well!
All well Whatever, Nevermind
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Ozzfest 2002.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Triad live with Dave Lombardo was crazy!!

triad was the first tool song I learned to play on guitar start to finish. Second best closer to third eye.
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

I feel like Triad was put at the end of Lateralus to kind of overwhelm the senses and then fade out. Great way to end an album. Like a sonic jerk-off if you will.
“Casual Fan”
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I don't look at Triad as an individual song. D/R/T is one big song. I don't understand how anyone can see any other way to be entirely honest. Any detailed analysis of Triad requires the inclusion of Disposition and Reflection.

Specifically speaking to Triad it is a remarkable piece of music and it is the perfect way to end what is Tool's greatest album.

D/R/T is Tool at it's absolute best. I am not sure the band will ever reach that level again, although I am open minded considering how good Descending is.
The most intelligent person on this forum
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Oddly enough I do like DRT but Reflection being the weakest part. For me Descending is a lot better already.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Gosh darn it Rogs you have terrible opinions!
Canned audience laughter
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

M0G wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:01 pm I don't look at Triad as an individual song. D/R/T is one big song. I don't understand how anyone can see any other way to be entirely honest. Any detailed analysis of Triad requires the inclusion of Disposition and Reflection.

Specifically speaking to Triad it is a remarkable piece of music and it is the perfect way to end what is Tool's greatest album.

D/R/T is Tool at it's absolute best. I am not sure the band will ever reach that level again, although I am open minded considering how good Descending is.
If descending is a piece of a larger body of music, there is a chance they reach that height again.. It might be 'impossible' in the way LeBron can never compare to Jordan, regardless of stats or whatever, simply because Jordan happened first. Might be the same situation for any new music Tool makes; it will never compare to D/R/T (even if it should) simply because D/R/T came first.

I think Ascending is a likely song name on this album, which would tie into Descending... and possibly be an amazing 25 minute piece of music.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

So speaking of the Revolver article saying “7 proper songs and 2 segues” if CCtrip is one of the “7” then it should have all musical components of the band and definitely lyrics. Can anyone name “a proper TOOL song” with no lyrics? I’m getting tripped up on CCtrip being a part of the “7”
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Shed523 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:33 pm Can anyone name “a proper TOOL song” with no lyrics?
Triad
Canned audience laughter
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

tys0n wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:45 pm
Shed523 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:33 pm Can anyone name “a proper TOOL song” with no lyrics?
Triad
Yes if CCtrip is part of an Ascending/Descending/CCtrip 18 min masterpiece then I guess I’ll agree
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

I’m thinking fear INOCULUM is descending. It’s just too good to not be the title track.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

If the Instagram snippet is part of fear Inoculum I am triggered positive.

Kinda hope fear Inoculum isn't Descending. Gotta attached to that name.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

rshforgothispw wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:16 pm I’m thinking fear INOCULUM is descending. It’s just too good to not be the title track.
i think ''descending'' is not epic enough to be a title track.
i guess if its one of the 2 we've heard id have to go with Invincible but something tells me its a new one we havent heard yet.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

bob wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:08 am
rshforgothispw wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:16 pm I’m thinking fear INOCULUM is descending. It’s just too good to not be the title track.
i think ''descending'' is not epic enough to be a title track.
i guess if its one of the 2 we've heard id have to go with Invincible but something tells me its a new one we havent heard yet.
Grudge it.
Descending is on the epic level of Lateralus, 10,000 Days thus the highest level of TooL epicness.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Well I was wrong but I love the new track. Adams riffs are sick.

I like descending more at this point but that’s nothing against FI
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Adam Jones, you lazy-ass control freak motherfucker. You've held up the band for a decade and would rather watch a part of your audience wither and die waiting rather than allow any riff onto a record before it caught 10 years worth of your stale fart smell, no matter how mediocre it is.
And when the record is finally finished you alienate a big chunk of your audience by only allowing a goofy, overpriced gimmick physical release. Please sort out your obvious issues.

Am... am I doing this correctly?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

The laziest band on earth. Ever.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

thekillingjoke wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 am Adam Jones, you lazy-ass control freak motherfucker. You've held up the band for a decade and would rather watch a part of your audience wither and die waiting rather than allow any riff onto a record before it caught 10 years worth of your stale fart smell, no matter how mediocre it is.
And when the record is finally finished you alienate a big chunk of your audience by only allowing a goofy, overpriced gimmick physical release. Please sort out your obvious issues.

Am... am I doing this correctly?
Yes. Yes you are.

That was Mog level bitching. But much fresher material.
Ki77aan :twisted:
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Thank you. I'll withhold the rest for my upcoming Netflix special.