The Grudge (WARNING: 26 years to #6?)

The Main Event
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Busty McCracken said
I'm sure compared to other cities, it smells amazing & is regarded as very friendly. Truth be told, I'm exceptionally uncultured seeing as I've never left Australia, so can't really make much comment.

I think it's just cities in general. Am a fairly relaxed bloke & love my nature so Cairns is the perfect place for me & because I grew up in Sydney, I'm always going back there to visit family (funny how that always coincides with when good bands come to Aus). So when I do I find myself in Sydney I can't but compare it to Cairns & find more reasons why I'm glad I left the place..

You're right. I went to Seoul last week with my girlfriend, and I remember commenting to her how exciting and cool I thought big cities were. Now, whenever I'm in one, I usually can't wait to leave. I think I'd be happy somewhere like Katoomba, with lots of mountains and bush, but still elements of culture. I don't know, I haven't been there since I was a kid.

The better half wants us to move to Melbourne; and while I understand it's a super place, it's still a big city. I used to be excited about the idea of moving to Melbourne, but now I'm not so sure. Newcastle was pretty much the ideal size for me. I need to find a city like that, but somewhere else . . .

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Blue Mountains is gorgeous.. Took my good mate there for a few days to clear his head before a massive operation (cancer patient). Worked a treat, the natural surroundings really helped his mindset.. If you've never been to Cairns I highly recommend it.. Kinda like the blue mountains but tropical n touristy..
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Are you guys done with your circle jerk yet?  Now can we get back to bitchin' about TooL?

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Shocker Tool [spoiler}didn't play anything new [/spoiler]and Maynard sucked.  [spoiler}Didn't even touch anything off Opiate after that bullshit re-release.[/spoiler]
sublime5446
Fanboi

Post by sublime5446 »

I never would have thought that after lateralus, tool would become one enormous let down. 
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

sublime5446 said
I never would have thought that after lateralus, tool would become one enormous let down. 

I ask myself that every time I think about putting TOOL on. I see "10,000 DAYS" in my collection, whether it be physically or digitally, and just shake my head.

Oh, and all that could have been . . .

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

[spoiler]I wonder, at what point will Tool become so embarrassing that even the most ardent of apologists have nothing to say?  With all the bullshit over the last three years and now another shitty Maynard performance and no changes to the setlist, I gotta say embarrassing is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Tool at the moment.  Lazy following behind in a close second of course.

I like 10,000 Days.  I think it is a great album.  If the new album, whenever it actually is finished, is as good as 10,000 Days I will have no complaints.  But with all the amateur hour bullshit coming from Tool and the general lack of motivation I worry whether there is enough left in the collective tank to make another truly great album.

Never thought I would see this happen with Tool.  I understand it is a business and I don't begrudge them cashing in, but fuck at least give your fans value for their money.  Maynard half assing his way through another performance with no changes to the setlist from the last tour doesn't cut it.  I don't care how pretty the lights are.  $150 bucks for a "thank you" re-release of a 21 year old EP with absolutely no new material of any kind doesn't cut it.  And please don't give me the getting old bullshit argument this is essentially a fucking mini tour.  For the prices they are charging, and for as loyal as Aussie fans are, they should be putting on a fucking extravaganza.

#pathetic [/spoiler]
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

[spoiler]Mogonaut said
I wonder, at what point will Tool become so embarrassing that even the most ardent of apologists have nothing to say?  With all the bullshit over the last three years and now another shitty Maynard performance and no changes to the setlist, I gotta say embarrassing is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Tool at the moment.  Lazy following behind in a close second of course.

I like 10,000 Days.  I think it is a great album.  If the new album, whenever it actually is finished, is as good as 10,000 Days I will have no complaints.  But with all the amateur hour bullshit coming from Tool and the general lack of motivation I worry whether there is enough left in the collective tank to make another truly great album.

Never thought I would see this happen with Tool.  I understand it is a business and I don't begrudge them cashing in, but fuck at least give your fans value for their money.  Maynard half assing his way through another performance with no changes to the setlist from the last tour doesn't cut it.  I don't care how pretty the lights are.  $150 bucks for a "thank you" re-release of a 21 year old EP with absolutely no new material of any kind doesn't cut it.  And please don't give me the getting old bullshit argument this is essentially a fucking mini tour.  For the prices they are charging, and for as loyal as Aussie fans are, they should be putting on a fucking extravaganza.

#pathetic[/spoiler]

I'll have several complaints, and will officially stop listening to TOOL, except on rare occasions.

Which is kind of what I do anyway, so: Meh.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

[spoiler]The thing I keep noticing is the light show keeps getting better.  Hey here is an idea, how about trim back the light show and drop the ticket prices.  Change up the setlist and focus on the performance.  Why not break out Disposition/Reflection/Triad?  Wouldn't strain Maynard's vocal chords and seeing them play those songs again would be worth the price of admission.[/spoler]
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

I'd prefer they keep the ticket prices high, but with the price of admission every gets a free hand-job during the show.

Fucking Tool, lazy fuckwads.
I like to poop naked.
Busty McCracken

Am intentionally keeping my eyes off the setlist but not sounding too promising from these comments.. There goes my hope of disposition & reflection
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Mogonaut said
[spoiler]The thing I keep noticing is the light show keeps getting better.  Hey here is an idea, how about trim back the light show and drop the ticket prices.  Change up the setlist and focus on the performance.  Why not break out Disposition/Reflection/Triad?  Wouldn't strain Maynard's vocal chords and seeing them play those songs again would be worth the price of admission.[/spoiler]

I am so erect at this idea (of hearing it again - go me for being able to hear/see it with my Aussie brothers and sisters WITH fucking CROOOOOOVVEEEEER guest starring) that my head has started to bleed from constantly rubbing up against the underside of the table that I am currently sitting at.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

Fuck TOOL for skipping LA these last few tours.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Hey guys, can we please use the spoiler tag for the time being?  I know there are a few people who are trying to stay spoiler free.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

The hope for music lies in THE MELVINS. I have seen the light.

This thread has now become a MELVINS appreciation thread.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

melvins are gods
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ziggy23 said
melvins are gods

This thread just took a dramatic turn for the AWESOME.

Busty McCracken

[spoiler]So going off these comments , its fairly clear that I'm going to know what the setlist is coz I know what they were like from their last shows, which is pretty fucked! Last time they came to Aus , they busted out 3rd eye, You lied & variations of Flood, The Patient etc, so was hoping for something similiar. Pretty fucked if they haven't made the effort to add anything fresh. 

Hopefully they're playing a standard set on their first night to get cobwebs out n add a surprise or two tonight. [/spoiler]

badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

I'm sorry Busty.  I didn't catch the spoilers until too late.  For your sake, I hope they bust out some surprises.  [spoiler]That being said, if you checked out the set lists from the last mini tour.....[/spoiler]
Busty McCracken

Nah Is all good, this is The Grudge thread so is the appropriate place for venting... Just realised I might be spoiling for others with my last post... Am on my phone but will try sort out editing my comment. 
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Maynard chooses the setlists based off what he can "manage".  Shocker.  He can't manage very many Tool songs these days.  Can you imagine how much better Tool would be live without Maynard?  And all the fucking apologists who yap about him being old and cutting him slack can suck it.  Dude is only 48.  He drank his voice to shit.  His voice is weak because he drinks wine every fucking day of his life.  Fuck I wish Danny, Justin and Adam would replace his ass.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

My girlfriend showed me a video of him yapping about his wine.  He sounded like the village drunk.  Apparently the ability to just talk is becoming a problem.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Uh link it?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said
Uh link it?

Yeah, I'd be interested in watching that, and I rarely watch videos online.