The Grudge (WARNING: 26 years to #6?)

The Main Event
bob
Toast

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: 26 years to #6?)

Post by bob »

Spoonman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:20 am I remember opening the chat randomly for the first time and Maynard was there.
It was his birthday and he wrote he's with Danny (hangover) somewhere in Michigan and then more and more people got in the chat
and started to write nonsense shit. Thats when he left.

That was some months before 10000 Days came out.
they did show up the odd time but not too often. sometimes it was announced and i think other times it wasnt. The one time they announced it, i came home from doing stuff and made it a bit after it started. someone was mentioning Kraftwerk or top 100's list or something and oddly enough i had just heard something like that on a Toronto station and Kraftwerk was listed at Number 09. Apparently Adam liked that and he typed ''number 9, number 9, number 9. thats my big famous moment or whatever. haha
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

Had a nice chat with Maynard and asked him some questions. But in memory I was the only one NOT writing something like "Suck my dick, Maynard".

Really embarassing...
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Dude you had a chance to speak to Maynard and you didn't ask him to suck your dick?? What's wrong with you?!!!

I know Hellboy sure did early last year.
Listen to All Them Witches
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Busty McCracken wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:55 pm Dude you had a chance to speak to Maynard and you didn't ask him to suck your dick?? What's wrong with you?!!!

I know Hellboy sure did early last year.
in hindsight i dont mind hearing people were telling him to suck it, haha. i mostly remember people bombarding the chat. It became kinda redundant pretty quickly.

Your just jeilly you didnt get the chance to do that, Busteeeh. ha
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Nah not really, I met sepultura when they toured here off the back of their first album with Derek and apart from Derek thought they were all a bunch of fuckwits which bummed me out as a 17 year old.

In hindsight, I was a shy 17 year old boy and there was hot woman chasing em so fair call, but still... made me realise I have no great desire to meet my musical heroes.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Groupies always win
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah I can't compete with that.... unless maybe they were priests?
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:55 pm Yeah I can't compete with that.... unless maybe they were priests?
They do say you shouldnt meet your heros. I see why. When i met Raymond Watts for the first time he was pretty much what i expected,which was a good thing. so when it works its great, if not then it sucks for sure. ah well. You only talk to people like that for a short time. I agree, its not a big deal but if you can for a second and they're cool its worth it. 17 is a bit impressionable. poor Busty! sorry bro~!

wth does the groupies being priests have to do with... saaay whaaa! as long as they aren't Catholic priests. ha
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Still a little annoyed that there is nearly 20 wasted minutes of time on Fear Inoculum. I appreciate the skill that is Chocolate Chip Trip... i just skip it everytime it comes up. Culling Voices feels like it could have been a 5 minute song instead of 10 minutes. There are 7 minutes of interlude tracks that dont bring anything meaningful... literally cant even hear them at times. At least past album interludes were interesting (Lost Keys, Lipan Conjuring). Descending is one of my favorite Tool tracks of all time, and even it has 2 minutes of waves crashing.

Just feels like FI could have been improved by taking those ~20 minutes and replacing it with a few shorter songs. 20 minutes is the equivalent of adding 46 & 2, Schism, and The Pot. Can anyone say that waves crashing, birds chirping, and a completely out of place synthesizer over a drum solo is better than those 3 tracks i mentioned?

Rant Over. See you all in 6 more months.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

My version of Fear doesn't have any interludes.
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

tys0n wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:34 pm My version of Fear doesn't have any interludes.
Good call. Mine also doesn't have them.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Interludes? What is it?
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Some kind of suppository.
Canned audience laughter
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

ziggy23 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:57 pm Interludes? What is it?
Interludes were invented by Tool in order to test the "skip" button on your CD player.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i think the interludes were pretty good on Lateralus. Aenima not as much and 10k was half an album so i wont talk about that. I dont mind the interludes on FI. They work with the songs, esp the one before Descending which is Dannys, im pretty sure. Agreed, CCtrip isnt that great really and Culling Voices is too standard once it kicks in more. Apparently theres that many segues to fill out the deal with the record company, so i hear. Not that its more then usual,just saying what i heard.
Last edited by bob on Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

bob wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:02 pm i think the interludes were pretty good on Lateralus Aenima as much and 10k was a half album so i wont talk about that. I dont mind the interludes on FI either. they work with the songs, esp the one before Descending which is Dannys, im pretty sure. agreed, CCtrip isnt that great really and Culling Voices is too standard once it kicks in more.
CCtrip is Danny.
Mockingbeat is Justin
Legion inoculant is Maynard
Litanie is Adam
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

cool whip!
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

bob wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:02 pm i think the interludes were pretty good on Lateralus. Aenima not as much and 10k was half an album so i wont talk about that. I dont mind the interludes on FI. They work with the songs, esp the one before Descending which is Dannys, im pretty sure. Agreed, CCtrip isnt that great really and Culling Voices is too standard once it kicks in more. Apparently theres that many segues to fill out the deal with the record company, so i hear. Not that its more then usual,just saying what i heard.
Interesting. I like both CC and Culling, but Descending...nooo. Never listen to that song :D
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

:o
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I like Cullling Voices and CCtrip :/

I need to change my statement, the only things that aren't on my version of FI are Legion inoculant & Litanie

Mockingbeat is a great way to close the album.
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Aenima interludes: 11:10
Lateralus interludes: 7:11 (did not count Disposition but did count the silence)
10,000 Days interludes : 9:59
Fear Inoculum album interludes: 4:48
Fear Inoculum digital interludes: 12:16
(Digital has more overall length then the others, thus)
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 am Still a little annoyed that there is nearly 20 wasted minutes of time on Fear Inoculum. I appreciate the skill that is Chocolate Chip Trip... i just skip it everytime it comes up. Culling Voices feels like it could have been a 5 minute song instead of 10 minutes. There are 7 minutes of interlude tracks that dont bring anything meaningful... literally cant even hear them at times. At least past album interludes were interesting (Lost Keys, Lipan Conjuring). Descending is one of my favorite Tool tracks of all time, and even it has 2 minutes of waves crashing.

Just feels like FI could have been improved by taking those ~20 minutes and replacing it with a few shorter songs. 20 minutes is the equivalent of adding 46 & 2, Schism, and The Pot. Can anyone say that waves crashing, birds chirping, and a completely out of place synthesizer over a drum solo is better than those 3 tracks i mentioned?

Agreed on CCT and CV.
Deftones!
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

tys0n wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:08 pm Some kind of suppository.
Like point that fucking finger up your ass?
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 am Still a little annoyed that there is nearly 20 wasted minutes of time on Fear Inoculum. I appreciate the skill that is Chocolate Chip Trip... i just skip it everytime it comes up. Culling Voices feels like it could have been a 5 minute song instead of 10 minutes. There are 7 minutes of interlude tracks that dont bring anything meaningful... literally cant even hear them at times. At least past album interludes were interesting (Lost Keys, Lipan Conjuring). Descending is one of my favorite Tool tracks of all time, and even it has 2 minutes of waves crashing.

Hmmm, what if we did this:

Fear Inoculum 10:20
Pneuma 11:53
Litanie contre la peur 2:14
Invincible 12:44
Useful Idiot 0:39
46 & 2 6:05
Descending (including the waves parts) 13:38
The Pot 6:22
Lipan Conjuring 1:11
7empest 15:44
Mockingbeat 2:06

That's 82:56 overall and only 6:10 of interlues/seques. If you just want the 7 tracks so as to still fit on a CD (79 mins) then it's only 76:46 all up and 7 tracks. I'm sure TOOL could space it out by 14 seconds to 77:00 or 21 seconds to 77:07 and call it 'Volume 7' like Adam Jones orignally wanted to (even though I think Fear Inoculum is a great title and cool concept etc.) but I think this is a pretty solid 7 tracks that includes both 46 & 2 and The Pot (shorter songs) plus the 5 main longer tracks from FI here.

I didn't include Schism because the start of Pneuma kinda reminds me of Schism, and I was very tempted to include Jambi somewhere on this list. But hopefully you can play these tracks on iTunes to your liking... :)
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

Does anyone know if the band Tool still exists?