What is the cost of a Tool signature?

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The recent Opiate reissue has opened a can of worms for many, with some putting great value on signatures from the band, while others discounting them completely. 

I decided to take a look on Ebay today and take a look at the prices of some good there, and see if we can maybe have a healthy discussion about what is an appropriate price for a complete set of Tool signatures.

Here's several items I found on Ebay, signed by all 4 members, obviously inflated compared to their original sale prices:

Signed Lateralus Vinyl: $1499 (original signed $100 unsigned $30?)
Original Signed Opiate CD: $599 (original unsigned $10)
Opiate Reissue: $399 (original signed $149)
Schism DVD: $699 (original unsigned $10)
Rivers Edge Poster: $500 (original signed $120? unsigned $20)

It's obviously hard to compare prices on Ebay - the very nature of the site mean that prices can be determined at the whim of the buyer, especially with items that are somewhat unique.

What is the most you've paid for a Tool signature?

My thoughts are that the current Opiate reissue, as well as recent poster prices put a complete set of Tool signatures (sans doodle) at around $100.  Is this an unfair amount?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

In general, signed posters seem to be listed on Ebay at $500 or more depending on the show, framing, etc. which would put them in the "best investment" category, if that's your kind of thing.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

I've always purchased my stuff through Tool directly. Here is the list of signed memoribilia I have: Signed drum head (Danny Carey), The Wickedest Books in the World (Blair and Danny), tour poster (band), Lateralus vinyl (band) and now Opiate CD.

The most i've paid for any of them is $150 which of course was for the Opiate release.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Signed Lateralus Vinyl: $1499

it's just soooooooooooo expensive for a piece of plastic, ok, for 2 pieces
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said
The recent Opiate reissue has opened a can of worms for many, with some putting great value on signatures from the band, while others discounting them completely. 

I decided to take a look on Ebay today and take a look at the prices of some good there, and see if we can maybe have a healthy discussion about what is an appropriate price for a complete set of Tool signatures.

Here's several items I found on Ebay, signed by all 4 members, obviously inflated compared to their original sale prices:

Signed Lateralus Vinyl: $1499 (original signed $100 unsigned $30?)
Original Signed Opiate CD: $599 (original unsigned $10)
Opiate Reissue: $399 (original signed $149)
Schism DVD: $699 (original unsigned $10)
Rivers Edge Poster: $500 (original signed $120? unsigned $20)

It's obviously hard to compare prices on Ebay - the very nature of the site mean that prices can be determined at the whim of the buyer, especially with items that are somewhat unique.

What is the most you've paid for a Tool signature?

My thoughts are that the current Opiate reissue, as well as recent poster prices put a complete set of Tool signatures (sans doodle) at around $100.  Is this an unfair amount?

oh, funny.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

ziggy23 said

Signed Lateralus Vinyl: $1499

it's just soooooooooooo expensive for a piece of plastic, ok, for 2 pieces

That price is pretty inflated, and I expect a more realistic price for the signed Lateralus these days is about half that.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

That price is pretty inflated, and I expect a more realistic price for the signed Lateralus these days is about half that.

well, i have the lateralus LP, it costed me 50$ and that's ok, i don't mind. When i began listening to the band back to 1996 it just was all about music, not the autographs and other collectible stuff. M-U-S-I-C.

i'm not goin' to grab this opiate reissue for 150$, i'd rather go to their live Ozzfest show in Japan
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Let's put another spin on all this.  I paid $84 dollars for the VIP ticket package recently to see Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders and Intronaut.  With that, I got a nice quality signed Meshuggah poster, a 7" vinyl of their new EP, a high quality T-Shirt, early entry into the venue and of course the concert tickets.  I got an Intronaut TShirt and download card for the new album for $25 bucks.  I paid $15 bucks to get better seating in the upper level in the venue.  I had a beer or two.  All of this cost me around $150 bucks.

The Opiate re-release is a 21 year old EP that included no unreleased music, live songs, or demos.  It has a new cover, pretty packaging, some artwork, a sticker and four signatures.  It is $150 dollars.  Let me repeat that.  $150 dollars for an EP I have already listened to thousands and thousands of times, with absolutely no new music of any kind.  And it is fairly clear that the term "bonus laden" was a stretch.

Now I am not a collector.  If I was, I suppose I could understand why the re-release might be appealing.  Still, I can think of nothing that justifies a price point of $150 dollars.  Certainly not something that was intended as a "thank you" to the fans.

At this point Tool's signatures mean very little to me.  If I had to analyze what their signatures are WORTH at this point I really do not know.  I am not a collector and have no statistical data to compare it to other band signatures and releases.  If they did the same thing for Aenima or Lateralus I would be willing to spend $75.  For the Opiate re-release I would have spent $50.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

What is the cost of a TOOL signature?

Whatever you're willing to pay. I'm not too turned-on by signatures, so I would personally pay nothing.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

The most I ever paid was $0. Last year my brother in law gave me a copy of Aenima signed by all members in '98 I think. He met them backstage once. Apparently Danny was the nicest but told pretty lame jokes, and Maynard was a bit "standoffish" but was pretty cool once they all hung out for a bit.

I would've purchased the signed Lateralus vinyl when they were on sale, however I didn't pull the trigger and sort of regret it. Oh well. I've got that CD with their sigs on it, and a copy of the Lateralus vinyl so I'm good.
SteveBobSteve
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

mogeffingmog said
Let's put another spin on all this.  I paid $84 dollars for the VIP ticket package recently to see Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders and Intronaut.  With that, I got a nice quality signed Meshuggah poster, a 7" vinyl of their new EP, a high quality T-Shirt, early entry into the venue and of course the concert tickets.  I got an Intronaut TShirt and download card for the new album for $25 bucks.  I paid $15 bucks to get better seating in the upper level in the venue.  I had a beer or two.  All of this cost me around $150 bucks.

What were normal tickets priced at?  $40? 

Presuming Tool tickets are about $90 in the US (I think that's around what they charged last tour, but correct me if I'm wrong) then would a $180 VIP tick for Tool be an appropriate price?

What would you pay for an autographed copy of the Intronaut CD?  Twice it's value?  25% more?
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Using anything sold by "world of autographs" is a poor example b/c they smoke crack when they set their prices.  Nobody is foolish enough to purchase and the same item gets re-listed time and time again.  And I have noticed, sometimes, the sigs look a bit questionable, but that is a different discussion entirely.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy1975 said

mogeffingmog said

Presuming Tool tickets are about $90 in the US (I think that's around what they charged last tour, but correct me if I'm wrong) then would a $180 VIP tick for Tool be an appropriate price?

What would you pay for an autographed copy of the Intronaut CD?  Twice it's value?  25% more?

At the moment, I would pay $100 bucks for a signed copy of any Intronaut CD.  Not because Intronaut is better than Tool, rather because I have a ton of respect for Intronaut.  They are super nice dudes and I would like to see their career really take off to the point to where they are headlining the kind of show they just opened up for.  They are incredibly open and honest and their is no smoke and mirror act.  I want to help them succeed in whatever way I can.

As for Tool, let's say if it was $250 dollars and that included a signed, high quality poster, the signed Opiate re-release, a high quality T-Shirt and early entry into the venue then sure.  There is significant value add there.

The relevant point obviously being the signature is worth as much as it means to you.  Which is why I have not criticized anybody for paying $150 for the Opiate re-release.  My criticism has been with Tool only.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

mogeffingmog said

hellboy1975 said

mogeffingmog said

At the moment, I would pay $100 bucks for a signed copy of any Intronaut CD.  Not because Intronaut is better than Tool, rather because I have a ton of respect for Intronaut.  They are super nice dudes and I would like to see their career really take off to the point to where they are headlining the kind of show they just opened up for.  They are incredibly open and honest and their is no smoke and mirror act.  I want to help them succeed in whatever way I can.

As for Tool, let's say if it was $250 dollars and that included a signed, high quality poster, the signed Opiate re-release, a high quality T-Shirt and early entry into the venue then sure.  There is significant value add there.

The relevant point obviously being the signature is worth as much as it means to you.  Which is why I have not criticized anybody for paying $150 for the Opiate re-release.  My criticism has been with Tool only.

Exactly.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

$100 for a signed poster is totally fine for me.  I'm pretty sure I paid that same amount for a signed Primus poster.  That includes a poster and signatures, but if you want to claim the signatures are $100 that's fine with me.

What I don't agree with is that the 4 signatures make anything more valuable by $100.  The poster I agree with because I can show it off and use it as a decoration.  I can't do that with the Opiate package.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

phox_ said
$100 for a signed poster is totally fine for me.  I'm pretty sure I paid that same amount for a signed Primus poster.  That includes a poster and signatures, but if you want to claim the signatures are $100 that's fine with me.

What I don't agree with is that the 4 signatures make anything more valuable by $100.  The poster I agree with because I can show it off and use it as a decoration.  I can't do that with the Opiate package.

There were a couple of people saying they were thinking about framing theirs.

Don't mow your lawn
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

UndKeineEier said

phox_ said

Maybe that's good for them, but I wouldn't like it.  Let's claim it's something silly then, like a sock.  Would the sock then be $100?

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

phox_ said

UndKeineEier said

phox_ said

Maybe that's good for them, but I wouldn't like it.  Let's claim it's something silly then, like a sock.  Would the sock then be $100?

I don't know.  Somebody would pay $100 for signed sock.  It wouldn't be me.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

phox_ said

UndKeineEier said

To be honest, the more obscure the item the more it's likely to be worth.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I know several people in this forum would probably pay $150 for a signed dildo.
Don't mow your lawn
SHbassGTR
Maynard Believer

Post by SHbassGTR »

I was talking to a friend just the other day about this. We both agreed that Tool signatures just don't hold the same value as they once did. To have an item signed by the entire band used to be such a rare thing. But now with the tour posters, drum heads, and newly added Opiate CD anybody can own them if they are willing to pay the price. I consider myself a collector so will basically pay whatever price they set, but that doesn't always mean I'm OK with it. When the posters really started to take flight in 2009 the standard pricing was $20 unsigned and $100 signed. In my opinion those were the best prices they've ever had. High quality show specific posters designed by a member of the band that, to me, adds to the memories of the show itself is easily worth $20. So I always looked at the signed posters as paying $20 per signature on top of the cost of the poster itself and felt completely fine with that. Fast forward to 2012 and tour posters are now $30 unsigned and $130 signed. Not too much of an increase but just imagine what they will be 3 years from now. The 2012 series are nice quality prints but lacking in overall design, so I was a little upset about those prices but still bought quite a few anyway. For the current situation (Opiate reissue) I do feel $150 is a little steep considering Tool has flooded the market with their signatures and would agree with HB that $100 would have been a totally fair price for what you're getting.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

^fuck, I hate it when logical thought gets involved on this forum... damn you
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

On a personal level, this is a weird subject for me because while I paid for two signed tour posters (and these shows both ended up being the best Tool shows I have ever seen... coincidence? haha), autographs don't do much for me. But they added just a wee bit of "cool"/magical value to me so I forked over for it. I don't drink/party too hard at shows so it's almost a write off. Also helps knowing that it will be framed and prominently displayed.

But truly, an autograph doesn't mean that much unless you personally got it signed. It's cool in that "they touched it!" kind of way, and I don't discount that sort of "magic," hey, it's why I bought the tour posters. But your story begins and ends with, "hey how'd you get those autographs?" "I paid $100 for it."

But then, if I do ever end up in a situation where I meet heroes/people like that, the LAST thing I ever do or want to do is go, "oh hey, would you mind signing this?" The meet/memory of it is everything to me and I don't really need pictures or autographs, unless it's a 100% no hassle thing that's just happening anyway. I hate asking for shit like that.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

crow011 said
What is the cost of a TOOL signature?

Whatever you're willing to pay. I'm not too turned-on by signatures, so I would personally pay nothing.

+1 here.

I will add that the photo I have on my fridge of me, my gf, and DC, which I got for free, holds way more "value" to me than any autograph I would have/could have paid big dollars for on some item the band may have simply touched for a few seconds or wiped their jizz on.
I like to poop naked.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

UndKeineEier said
I know several people in this forum would probably pay $150 for a signed dildo.

Are we talking used or unused?

I like to poop naked.