This "novelty USB card" that is included in the Opiate package...

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said 
Concerts aren't re-releases of twenty-one year old music that you already own, sold at fifteen times the original price.

Concert tickets these days are probably also 15x the price they were when Opiate was released.

Re: "The Pot" - that's why I was asking if there was a way to limit the ability of the owner of such a USB to upload whatever was on it to the intersuperhighwayinformationweb.

There is no technology that would prevent data coming off the USB and onto the web
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

If your saying this USB would work as a key to stream something from their website, this could work.  There is nothing that is stopping me from recording it.  I can't imagine there will be anything on the USB drive.  It would be nice if it did, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  So how many weeks until you think they ship? I Imagine we wont even get the interviews until some people have already received the package in the mail.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

BlindandCynical said
If your saying this USB would work as a key to stream something from their website, this could work.  There is nothing that is stopping me from recording it.  I can't imagine there will be anything on the USB drive.  It would be nice if it did, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  So how many weeks until you think they ship? I Imagine we wont even get the interviews until some people have already received the package in the mail.

Which is the most ridiculous fucking thing I've ever heard.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said 
Concerts aren't re-releases of twenty-one year old music that you already own, sold at fifteen times the original price.

Concert tickets these days are probably also 15x the price they were when Opiate was released.

Re: "The Pot" - that's why I was asking if there was a way to limit the ability of the owner of such a USB to upload whatever was on it to the intersuperhighwayinformationweb.

There is no technology that would prevent data coming off the USB and onto the web

Ugh.

Thanks for answering my question.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
elp5000
My pain is just an excuse

Post by elp5000 »

The USB will contain the Ultimate Tool April Fools Gag...........NEW MUSIC !!!!!

You heard it here first Kiddies..

I can dream..

;-}~
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Congratulations to those who bought it. You now own what is officially the most over-scrutinized USB stick in history.
nudges710

Post by nudges710 »

ok so in theory... if the usb allowed you to stream from the website and there was no way to save it via computer, i believe there is technology that prevents an external device, ie video recorder, from actually capturing the footage. i believe pay paer view uses this technology when airing things like ufc. at least so i have heard, never really looked into, ill leave the research for you guys
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Personally i dont know of any technology that can prevent you from using an on screen recorder or streamer ( like xsplit braodcaster ). Granted this will capture at a pretty low resolution, unless you pay for the professional version, It would still capture the content.  Or you could just use another camera looking at a computer screen.  If there is a will there is a way.

This is a way out in left field theory tho.  To assume a band that hasn't updated their website that has needed it for a long time is going to go to this much trouble is silly.  Unless, they release a new website here in the next few weeks, and this is all part of some HUGE rollout plan. We can all dream right...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

nudges710 said
ok so in theory... if the usb allowed you to stream from the website and there was no way to save it via computer, i believe there is technology that prevents an external device, ie video recorder, from actually capturing the footage. i believe pay paer view uses this technology when airing things like ufc. at least so i have heard, never really looked into, ill leave the research for you guys

There is nothing in this world that can prevent me from capturing what is appearing on my screen and what is coming out of my speakers.   Unless this USB gizmo has a screen and speakers built in. there's not really any way to prevent this date coming out into the wide world.
nudges710

Post by nudges710 »

BandC, i think there is technology that would prevent a video camera from actually capturing the footage, i think pay per view uses it
nudges710

Post by nudges710 »

well i am getting one so wont have to worry about finding it on the net if there is some goodies on there
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

nudges710 said
BandC, i think there is technology that would prevent a video camera from actually capturing the footage, i think pay per view uses it

You are missing the point.  Hellboy has tried to explain this.  The only way to prevent someone from accessing data would be to encrypt the flash drive itself, which in turn would be pointless, as Tool would need to provide you the password to access the data.  Bottom line if there is anything there it WILL end up on the internet.  At most, there might be some artwork on there, maybe even a digital copy of Opiate, but I doubt that.  I suspect it is just what it seems, a novelty item.

BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Hope for the best, but expect the worse.  The flash drive probably won't even be functional   NO REFUNDS NO EXCHANGES!
ua hua
Bronco's Fan

Post by ua hua »

fulcanelli said
Maybe the USB contains Problem 8... now I'm feeling nervous about not purchasing one.  I doubt it's the case but you never know.

While I have my own theories about the motivation behind this Opiate 21st Anniversary out of all the stuff I have read this one is the most interesting out of them all. I remember reading on Tool Navy a thread that was discussing the "hidden track" Problem 8 and there was two members that were taking this whole "puzzle" thing to a whole new level. Upon my revisiting of this thread I noticed something to be a little strange. One of the members posts just seemed to disappear overnight but one post that was quoted is still there for all to see. Now take into consideration that these posts were wrote back in August of 2012.  Here is the page that has the quote to be a little strange...

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=124874&page=9

Go take a look at the quote that Neurok posted in post #360. How did this person know anything about a Opiate anniversary back in August of last year? Was this made public knowledge that far back because I have lurked around this site and Toolshed for several years now and have always checked up on all the new info for a band that I have been a fan of since I first saw them back in '94 and don't ever remember reading about this Opiate Anniversary until this year.

While I have to keep my expectations limited on what to expect from this re-release I still have this suspicion (or hope) that there is more to this than meets the eye. I will not be disappointed in the slightest if it's nothing more than just the Opiate EP and the extras, but wouldn't it be the ultimate fuckery if there was more to this and they knew only their most devoted fans would gobble this up and the real "thank-you to the fans" is that you are rewarded with something "new".
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Cool find but I suspect the Opiate comment was merely because at the time it was its 20th anniversary, a date more commonly used for re-releases.
Hey! Denty!
ganjalf
Maynard Believer

Post by ganjalf »

Pretty sure he didn't vanish.  I think dan just global muted him. 
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

He was the chosen one.
ua hua
Bronco's Fan

Post by ua hua »

Ravenpig said
Cool find but I suspect the Opiate comment was merely because at the time it was its 20th anniversary, a date more commonly used for re-releases.

Fair enough but I clearly remember several of the post that this neurok posted that were pertaining to the "ultimate hidden track" Problem 8 and now all of the posts are gone except for the few that got quoted. I just found it a little odd that when discussing this secret song that this one person mentions an Opiate Anniversary. I guess only time will tell or else Blair will post some cryptic message about a "puzzle"and those that bought this re-release will be digging through them trying to find the answers.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

joeypants said
Congratulations to those who bought it. You now own what is officially the most over-scrutinized USB stick in history.

Pffffffftttt.  Obviously you don't know about the "special" USB stick my gf and I have out together.
I like to poop naked.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

People will start to receive these April 1 or better known as April Fools Day. There will be a prank on the USB card.... actually the prank has already begun!
Professor of Lesbian Science
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

ua hua said

Ravenpig said

Fair enough but I clearly remember several of the post that this neurok posted that were pertaining to the "ultimate hidden track" Problem 8 and now all of the posts are gone except for the few that got quoted. I just found it a little odd that when discussing this secret song that this one person mentions an Opiate Anniversary. I guess only time will tell or else Blair will post some cryptic message about a "puzzle"and those that bought this re-release will be digging through them trying to find the answers.

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

^ Can I have that dog im fuckin hungry
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

With the USB card, has anyone noticed theirs with scratch marks on the gold connection tabs? Mine looks like it has been inserted and used. Just wondering if anyone else's looks like that. I don't have a card reader to check mine. Its version 1.

Its possible it was checked at the time of manufacture, although i highly doubt it.

EDIT - Scratch that thought, i just check my other version and it has the same marks. Please continue...
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

That's what happens when u buy from ebay! Haha j/k I actually did notice that on my usb as well, figured whatever, I'm thinking they had some supplier like "hey let us show u what we can do with a usb card and maybe you can use us in future endeavors "
GaryS
Maynard Believer

Post by GaryS »

Feel like I'm missing something here...

Are these just blank usb's?