Golden Tickets

The Main Event
thesheedspot
My pain is just an excuse

Post by thesheedspot »

jam bands def vary their set lists every night. i have seen phish 10 times. in those ten times i have seen 121 unique songs, but i have seen them play chalk dust 5 times out of ten and 10+ other songs 3-4 times. there are just songs that fans want and expect to hear. you also have to take into account that phish/ GD will play far more songs than tool plays per show (about 20 for phish, around 10 for tool) since they do the two set + encore shows. (side note a friend of mine was telling me about a "great tool cover" by umphrey's mcgee. its 46&2 and after watching it i almost ended the friendship, so i am not a jam band fanboi).

compare my phish show stats to tool: i have seen tool 7 times and only seen 23 unique songs. they have played 46 &2, lateralus, stinkfist and schism every single time i have seen them. the posters talking about something being different each time are def on to something. just because they are technically playing the same song doesnt mean each version is just a carbon copy of the last time it was played. listen to sober from this last tour as proof of that.

second night of tool in vegas 2006 maynard asks the crowd who was here the night before. crowd cheers. maynard, "youll never learn"

InFlamesOfBirchmen
My pain is just an excuse

Post by InFlamesOfBirchmen »

Tyson said
No surprises though unlike a lot of other bands

Night to night, you're correct. But judging by the 2012 tour, I'm going to have to disagree. Hooker with a Penis, Pushit, and Ticks and Leeches are all pretty surprising. They can switch it up when they want to; the problem is they phoned it in for the last year or three.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Kittaan said

toolphishdhs said

Ravenpig said
The "same set list" complaints have always been weird to me.

People realize its not the same crowd every night, right?

Plenty of bands vary their setlist nightly. Tool used to do it quite frequently. I dont see why knowing more 12 songs on a tour is a huge imposition. That being said 2012 Tour was an awesome setlist and wasnt too upset to see the show twice.  Now if you went to more than 2 or 3 Tool shows on a tour then that is kind of useless. For other bands, though, you can see them for 10 straight nights with almost totally different shows each night.   gotta know the band you are seeing.

Name those bands.

[Disclaimer: So we can ridicule you]

Pearl Jam
I like to poop naked.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

As a musician, I can assure you that your standard verse/chorus/verse songs that are 3-5 minutes in length are way, way easier to vary and just chuck in randomly than the kind of long, proggy, dynamic-driven stuff Tool does. It's way easier to fuck up if you just throw in random stuff night after night and when a Tool song gets derailed, it's way more detrimental to the entire show than if Pearl Jam goofs on a song.

And also, let's not act like Tool is the only (great) band out there that doesn't vary their setlist during a tour. In fact, many other bands in their genre take the same general approach and only vary a couple songs within a tour.

edit: and as others have mentioned, a lot of it is a choice and I'm fine with that. They have a certain vibe/set they want to present, and it's not just "here's ___ number of random songs, enjoy." They also clearly have tried to rectify this complaint a bit on the past few tours.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

toolphishdhs said
Well, Phish or the Dead

You may not like it.

Correct.  Cantstanzit.
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

That's a big exaggeration and unless you want them seriously flubbing all over the place, then that's insane.

Also, their music, structurally speaking, is immeasurably more complex than Phish or The Dead, and THAT is the hard part. Nailing those structures and the changes and the poly-rhythms, etc. 
Baseball_TOOL
Maynard Believer

Post by Baseball_TOOL »

And maybe they don't play too many different songs because the singer is close to 50 yrs old and can't just scream his balls off anymore 

I've seen Tool live 12 times and only got the Same setlist in 2 shows .. and that was the las vegas and arizona shows during the 2012 tours but id take that set every night if I could . Like someone said the set might be the same by the crowd and venue aren't 
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

It's such an old and tired argument I don't know why we're having it anymore. Even in the "good old days," they didn't vary it THAT much. People kind of look on that era with rose-tinted glasses in terms of varying the setlist, in my opinion.

Other awesome bands that commonly ride/rode the same setlist in a touring leg:

Mastodon

Pink Floyd

NIN

The Melvins

Baseball_TOOL
Maynard Believer

Post by Baseball_TOOL »

joeypants said
It's such an old and tired argument I don't know why we're having it anymore. Even in the "good old days," they didn't vary it THAT much. People kind of look on that era with rose-tinted glasses in terms of varying the setlist, in my opinion.

Most "fans" only know what they've seen on YouTube .... Funny right
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

You can easily head over to Toolshed.down.net and look at the history of their setlists. They never varied quite like people make it sound. Since 2002, they've kind of had a similar style of touring a setlist with little changes during a leg.
Baseball_TOOL
Maynard Believer

Post by Baseball_TOOL »

Also it's not like it really upsets that many people ... Tool has been selling out arenas for awhile now and will continue to do so. 

So many people on this website trash talk Tool but go to one of their shows and you will see about 20,000 people who love the music and could care less if the setlist is the same as the night before 
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Been going to Tool shows in Aus since first Lateralus tour & they've always looked after us with a few change ups each night, so I'm pretty happy with it. Hope they do it again next month coz I'm going a few shows.. Is good to mix up even just a couple of songs in the set each night. Gives something to the fans that go to more than the one show & prevents the bands performance from becoming monotonous.. 
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Baseball_TOOL said
Also it's not like it really upsets that many people ... Tool has been selling out arenas for awhile now and will continue to do so. 

So many people on this website trash talk Tool but go to one of their shows and you will see about 20,000 people who love the music and could care less if the setlist is the same as the night before 

Mostly true, although I did get to witness a fucking HILARIOUS post-show whine-session by one teen/pre-teen fan at my very first Tool show.

After just having my mind fucking blown apart (as you naturally do your first Tool show, especially if Lucy came with you), I got to see this kid who had been taken there by his dad. He's literally (and I do mean literally) stomping his feet up the arena stairs, throwing his hoodie/posters down in an exchange that went something like this:

"Well Jimmy, I thought it was pretty neat."

"Oh fuck that, Dad! No Third Eye! No Pushit! No Prison Sex! This SUCKS!!"

[Dad just kind of looks at the floor thinking, what have I created, as the rest of us laugh and laugh and laugh]

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

basejumper said

joeypants said

So... Basejumper, did you really get one?

I'm not at liberty to say at the moment... but I like hearing the speculation on what the prize is!

Liar!
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Baseball_TOOL said

couldn't care less.
I like to poop naked.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

markuspoop said

Baseball_TOOL said

couldn't care less.

I always think it's "could care less" but then I'm like that doesn't make any sense. 

Fascinating story, huh?

Don't mow your lawn
Baseball_TOOL
Maynard Believer

Post by Baseball_TOOL »

Banana Phone said

markuspoop said

Baseball_TOOL said

couldn't care less.

I always think it's "could care less" but then I'm like that doesn't make any sense. 

Fascinating story, huh?

Would it not work either way? 

If I "couldn't care less" then I'm at the lowest point of caring 

If I "could care less" then I don't care but if I needed to care care less then I most certainly could... Right? Fuck it I don't know 

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Banana Phone said

markuspoop said

Baseball_TOOL said

couldn't care less.

Fascinating story, huh?

Leave out contractions in any linguistic situation such as that, and you will find it much easier to decipher what to write.

If one is to say, "I could not care less," the person is conveying their utter displeasure with the topic and will not put forth any more effort.

If one is to say, "I could care less," the person is conveying how much they care by being sarcastic about the situation.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Official Fourtheye CheeseMonger said

Banana Phone said

markuspoop said

Baseball_TOOL said

couldn't care less.

Fascinating story, huh?

Leave out contractions in any linguistic situation such as that, and you will find it much easier to decipher what to write.

If one is to say, "I could not care less," the person is conveying their utter displeasure with the topic and will not put forth any more effort.

If one is to say, "I could care less," the person is conveying how much they care by being sarcastic about the situation.

"I could care less" makes absolutely no logical sense.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

I could care less...I care to a certain extent but there is room for less caring.  That is, to say, I care but could easily say fuck it all and just give up on everything.  That would be caring less and fuck it...I'm hungry...

*cue basejumper's avatar*

Ahhh....!!!!!!!

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I care less and less about this thread every passing day
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

This place has been experiencing some weird digressions lately.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Well, mine just arrived - those of you in the hunt for golden tickets will be happy to know the odds of you getting one have marginally increased if you ordered #2