Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by M0G »

Don't give a flying fuck who mixes the album just finish the fucking album. It's fucking November. No announcement. Tired of cryptic AJ instagram bullshit posts and random Jimmy taking a break from APC tweets. Finish the fucking album. It's been 12 years. Finish the fucking album. It's not a fucking symphony it's a fucking rock album. Finish the fucking album.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

UndKeineZwEier wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 am Eh, i heard it before I even knew what it is. It didn't really effect of my opinion of that album though in anyway.
Engrish?

Count me in on digging 10KD sound. It is gorgeous. I will will not fight thee Joey.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Apparently I am not in the minority on here then, way to make a liar out of me ya pack of bastards.

Seem to to remember plenty of people bitching on here about the sound a few times over the years and the general consensus being that the mix of 10K days was appalling and responsible for global warming, the new album delays and the ongoing aus government issues to name a few.
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I was a big whinger about the sound and production of the album, after Aenmea and Lateralus any pretense of subtleness was gone and it was all GUITAR GUITAR GUITAR

I mean the only Tool I listen to these days is 10,000 Days so I've gotten over it but at the time I just didn't like what they did because waaaa baby doesn't like change.

Getting some decent headphones helped a lot as well.
Canned audience laughter
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Kittaan wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:21 pm
UndKeineZwEier wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 am Eh, i heard it before I even knew what it is. It didn't really effect of my opinion of that album though in anyway.
Engrish?

Count me in on digging 10KD sound. It is gorgeous. I will will not fight thee Joey.
As if I'm going to wawte time prroofreadibg a post on a fucking tool forum
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Also for what it's worth, at the same time Adam posted the above slide guitar photos, he posted an Instastory with him testing that and his Les Paul out through some fucking BIZARRE old amps I'd never even heard of. While he was (poorly, according to him) playing a song by another artist, the tone sounded A-FUCKING-MAZING and I can't wait to hear what they're going to do with the sounds.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:56 pm Apparently I am not in the minority on here then, way to make a liar out of me ya pack of bastards.

Seem to to remember plenty of people bitching on here about the sound a few times over the years and the general consensus being that the mix of 10K days was appalling and responsible for global warming, the new album delays and the ongoing aus government issues to name a few.
The only issue I had with 10k in terms of the mix is vocals. I don't think that is on Joe though. I think they had to hide Jimbo because his voice at that time was pure shit. Wine soaked horseshit. When he was prominent, on The Pot for example, he sounds like shit. Again not Joe's problem. As much as I dislike Mayanrd I have to give him credit as has seems to have worked to get his voice back. Eat the Elephant was a big pile of meh but Jimbo's vocal performance was very good.

If I had to choose I would go with Botrill as I think Aenima and Lateralus sound better. As Tyson said better balance more subtle. Botrill also captured the drums better than Joe. Danny Carey is the most important part of Tool his drumming should always be front and center.

As I said above all of it is getting old. Adam posting a stupid fucking picture of a slide who gives a shit? This new album fiasco has well surpassed Chinese Democracy in terms of the sheer amount of bullshit associated with the fucking thing actually getting done. It is so staggeringly ridiculous it is hard to even process.
The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Aenima and Lateralus both sound better than 10,000 Days, but all three are good sounding albums, so it's like splitting hairs for me.

What will be interesting in regards to Maynards APC work is that the production on the vocals there were super slick, and sounded pretty processed in parts. I think part of the reason Maynard sounds strong on EtE is the layering and techniques used. Tool has always been a bit more about raw aggression and emotion. There's very little aggression on EtE, and I don't think Maynard's voice can hold up to that level of singing any more. That's not to say he can't sing - he clearly is still and excellent singer.

Can he recapture his traditional "Tool" style vocal? I suspect not, and wonder if that was one of the stumbling blocks for songwriting. If the band expect to perform these tracks live, then the vocals well need to be managed as such.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Who is the guy on the left?
Canned audience laughter
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Looks like Chad Smith from RHCP
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It's clearly Will Ferrell
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I meant my left
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

My answer remains unchanged
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

hellboy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:43 pm Aenima and Lateralus both sound better than 10,000 Days, but all three are good sounding albums, so it's like splitting hairs for me.

What will be interesting in regards to Maynards APC work is that the production on the vocals there were super slick, and sounded pretty processed in parts. I think part of the reason Maynard sounds strong on EtE is the layering and techniques used. Tool has always been a bit more about raw aggression and emotion. There's very little aggression on EtE, and I don't think Maynard's voice can hold up to that level of singing any more. That's not to say he can't sing - he clearly is still and excellent singer.

Can he recapture his traditional "Tool" style vocal? I suspect not, and wonder if that was one of the stumbling blocks for songwriting. If the band expect to perform these tracks live, then the vocals well need to be managed as such.
Counterpoint to this in a way: He used a lot of layering on Jambi and, call it cheating if you like (I don't for reasons I won't belabor here), by the end of their touring (and when they play it now) he got REALLY good at triggering and layering the vocal samples for harmonies. I'd imagine there may be more of that here. Also his voice is stronger than it was in the dreaded '09-ish tour cycles. I'm very on board for a more EtE style vocal production if that's what he wants to do.

With this band, as always, I trust their artistic impulses implicitly and also trust that Maynard is a smart cookie, and knows what he can and can't translate live and will want to do what's best for their art. I cannot wait to hear what he does on this.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

joeypants wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 am
With this band, as always, I trust their artistic impulses implicitly and also trust that Maynard is a smart cookie, and knows what he can and can't translate live and will want to do what's best for their art. I cannot wait to hear what he does on this.
I trust them as well, and don't really harbour any concerns. I really like the way Maynard experimented with his voice on EtE, and while I don't believe all of it is applicable to Tool (nor do I expect he does) I am interested to hear what he does this time around.

I think we will see more effects and layered vocals this time around.

I do expect that Maynard's vocals will once more be a bit divisive among fans
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:50 pm
I think we will see more effects and layered vocals this time around.

I do expect that Maynard's vocals will once more be a bit divisive among fans

Wow. Color me surprised. We agree on something....we agree on something.

I need to sit down.....

:?
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea

Post by DeadGuyAle »

Nobody noticed the subliminal sign there? :o The curveball is that they are going all Spinal Tap on us. :lol:

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Implying they haven't already
Don't mow your lawn
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

hellboy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:02 pm My answer remains unchanged
Ok, I’ll go with Will Smith
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
bonebroke
Geacon

Post by bonebroke »

"layering" ...does that mean pre-recorded sounds (vocals) on top of the live singing?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

bonebroke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:48 am "layering" ...does that mean pre-recorded sounds (vocals) on top of the live singing?
Well, that's the interesting part of the discussion. At the moment there is some pre-recorded vocals used in at least Jambi and Vicarious (I think Maynard triggers these with pedal or keyboard).

In APC it works a bit better, since several of members seem like competent backup singers.

In Tool's case, Justin seems to be able to do some vocals (though I've only ever heard him on You Lied). Regardless, his voice isn't a great compliment for Maynards.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

hellboy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:47 am
bonebroke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:48 am "layering" ...does that mean pre-recorded sounds (vocals) on top of the live singing?
Well, that's the interesting part of the discussion. At the moment there is some pre-recorded vocals used in at least Jambi and Vicarious (I think Maynard triggers these with pedal or keyboard).
As a live music/audio nerd, I'd love to hear a tech explanation for it. At times it sounds like a harmonizing effect rather than a true vocal sample, but I'm not sure.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'd rather that than back up singers.
Canned audience laughter
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

It sounds and looks like he triggers pre-recorded vocal harmonies (same harmonies from the albums that you audible can hear if you filter the audio to karaoke in VLC).

Examples:

He stopped with his foot-pedal during the 2012 tour, since then I guess the audio guys triggers the effects.