Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy »

unclejackson wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:23 am Eight months in the studio? Is that right?
Day 1 in the studio was early March, so yes: http://www.fourtheye.net/2018/03/adam-p ... ay-studio/

I'd note a few things though:
  • There was a problem with the first studio, resulting in them having to move to another one. I'd hesitate to guess they lost a few weeks to a month there
  • Maynard seemed to imply at a few points that the music wasn't finished yet, and that he'd only provide vocals after this was done. Given that Tool hit the studio before this point, it's reasonable to assume that there's like some re-working of material that has happened. I personally don't buy into the suggestion that the instrumental parts don't change and Maynard just overlays his vocals.
  • Speaking of Maynard, he's been pretty busy with APC this year, so while I understand he's a very efficient writer, I'd still expect it'd take some time for him to get shit done for Tool in between his home/winemaking duties.
  • Tool haven't rushed anything about this album so far, I don't think they're about to start now
  • I think that Tool being in the studio for "8 months" is probably a misinterpretation, in that I don't really think they've been recording for 8 solid months. I suspect that Adam and co. knowing that Maynard's availability limits their ability to complete the album, feel they have the benefit of less perceived pressure in getting the recording done within some kind of time frame. Adam in particular, has the time to tweak, layer and colour the recordings to his hearts content. I imagine that if all 4 members were completely on board with the process (in sense of them all being in the studio at once) we'd have seen a more "typical" time taken in the studio. Maynard, while I don't doubt his enthusiasm for the new Tool album, is clearly in a different frame of mind at this time.
How knows how much of my late Saturday night ramblings are correct. In summary, I don't think there's really any cause for concern. The timeline isn't changing because their isn't one. Tool aren't touring until July next year, I don't buy into speculation they will tour before then. Even if Maynard doesn't "complete" the album until January 2019 then there's still time enough to expect the album could be out before the Euro tour.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Looks very much like Tool will be playing at Welcome to Rockville in Florida next year. Though I've disputed the thought that Tool could be playing Coachella, the timing of this festival could certainly suggest they will be touring the US at that time.

http://www.fourtheye.net/2018/11/tool-a ... -may-2019/

Are Tool further along with the album than we think?
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:01 pm Are Tool further along with the album than we think?
I think they're right on track: April 19, 2019.

:)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'm actually listening to it right now.
Canned audience laughter
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Tool playing Rockville in May 2019... Interesting.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Another small US tour in May? I'm down. Hopefully it's more than just two festival stops.

Sonic Temple Festival (formerly known as Rock on the Range) (May 17-19) announcement coming on Nov. 26th. SOAD and Ghost are rumored but I guess Tool is never out of the question.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

Maybe just a one shot show or a mini at best to warm up for the UK tour?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'll be surprised if it's just one US show. Sonic Temple was announced an no Tool on that however.

Tool were confirmed as headliners for Hellfest in France though, which is pretty cool (and a pretty great lineup as well, if you look beyond all the dinosaurs at the top of the bill)
DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea

Post by DeadGuyAle »

I'm thinking since Tool played Rock on Range in Columbus this past May, that they wouldn't play it again the next year.

Here's hoping they play Louder Than Life festival here in Louisville, but that's not until Oct and they don't announce lineup until May/June. If they do, it'll be the first time since 2001 that they have played here.

There's the New Orleans Jazz Fest (and it's not just jazz bands that play there) in May.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, here's what I think will go down:
  • New album gets released sometime before April 2019
  • May 2019: shortish US tour including the "confirmed" festival date, mostly focused on bigger centres
  • Jun-Jul 2019: Euro tour as already confirmed
  • Oct-Nov-Dec 2019: more extensive US tour
  • Feb-Mar 2020: Australia, NZ, Japan (probably Download festival in Oz)
  • April-May 2020: Non-festival Euro tour
  • Jun-Jul 2020: More US touring
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

hellboy wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:08 pm Well, here's what I think will go down:
  • New album gets released sometime before April 2019
  • May 2019: shortish US tour including the "confirmed" festival date, mostly focused on bigger centres
  • Jun-Jul 2019: Euro tour as already confirmed
  • Oct-Nov-Dec 2019: more extensive US tour
  • Feb-Mar 2020: Australia, NZ, Japan (probably Download festival in Oz)
  • April-May 2020: Non-festival Euro tour
  • Jun-Jul 2020: More US touring
Confirmed by Hellboy there it is. Who was closest in the competition game? I'm gonna go put in leave for Feb - March next year.

In all seriousness I really fucking hope they dont do download. Nationwide arena tour thank you very much.
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:48 pm In all seriousness I really fucking hope they dont do download. Nationwide arena tour thank you very much.
Agree 100%, but you can guarantee the organisers would he licking their lips at the idea of Tool headlining.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeh unfortunately you are correct. I imagine the financial benefit would be bigger if download brought them out.on the plus side if it was the case I imagine we'd get them again a few years later on their own accord as has been the case since aenima so wouldn't be all bad.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 pm Yeh unfortunately you are correct. I imagine the financial benefit would be bigger if download brought them out.on the plus side if it was the case I imagine we'd get them again a few years later on their own accord as has been the case since aenima so wouldn't be all bad.
Tool tour Australia so often it's not beyond the realms of possibility to see them do both a Festival tour, and a headline tour as well.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Man you are full of inside scoops today. A festival tour AND a headline tour confirmed. Man I'm excited!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I really, REALLY fucking hope that they still do the traditional theater/small venue tour to kick things off.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

joeypants wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:18 am I really, REALLY fucking hope that they still do the traditional theater/small venue tour to kick things off.
Plus 10. I’ll never forget the first 10k days gig in Oakland. So much energy.
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I hate to be a downer, well actually fuck it I quite enjoy it. You Toolios realize Danny Carey is 57 right? Gonna be 58 when they tour? Temper your expectations when it comes to his drumming on this new album and touring. Unless the man is super human, I highly doubt he can maintain anywhere near the level of drumming we have seen on prior releases, particularly live. He may have been able to get thru the recording process at a high level since he was doing a song at at time over a period of likely a few weeks. But again, the dude is old.

10 years wasted. What a shame. Oh well I am not paying them a cent to see them live. Hopefully ole Danny boy got it done in the studio at a high level.

Oh and hopefully Hellboy is right about April, but with it being almost December and no announcement....summer seems more likely.
The most intelligent person on this forum
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

I hate to be a downer, well actually fuck it I quite enjoy it.
I love you
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Let's all take a moment to remember DC in his prime...2002...16 years ago...

tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

I still think coachella is the likely debut show, but a small theater tour around release day (Georgia Tabernacle May 15, 2001) or a small theater tour a la the king crimson run would be preferable. Honestly, there is too much money on the table to do anything other than festivals and arenas, with larger theater (Fox, Red Rocks, Radio City) extended runs in major markets. So. Yeah. PUMPED for new Tool dudes!
“Casual Fan”
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Show me a recording from this years shows that demonstrate how hes starting to slip with old age?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Time catches up to us all Busty. It is inevitable. When was the last BIG Tool tour? They have done nothing but mini tours over the last number of years. This is going to be EXTENSIVE touring behind a new album. Danny is 57. Will turn 58 next year while on tour. I imagine he is already at his edge during these greatest hits mini tours. They are going to have to break out the oxygen tanks in between songs. Such a shame all these wasted years.

This is more along the lines of what you should be expecting....

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I haven't seen any noticeable difference in Danny's drumming skill level on tours in recent years.

I think looking at how APC have toured recently is a guide as to how Tool will tour. Danny is not the driving force - I suspect he's the kind of guy that would tour all the time given the choice.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Danny Carey is the definition of an outlier. 10 years isn't even that much time. You could make the same stupid argument about him being in his 30s when he started Tool. 30 years wasted.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy