Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
nxrm
Living Duller

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by nxrm »

Hey HB, any information from your sources regarding the updates/fixes to the Toolband website?

It'd be unfortunate if they have an album release to announce but can't do it on their own website because it's still borked.

Thanks!
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
LOOT
Maynard Believer

Post by LOOT »

It seems odd that there are no vocals on the whole last half of Descending. I'm hoping he just stopped due to technical problems or just that they were all getting off slightly. I noticed in a video of Jambi from last night, Maynard stopped singing in a couple spots as well. I guess we will see after they play more in the next few days.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Bill Hilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:59 am I'm waiting for the album. I've listened to small snippets of both Descending and Invincible. From what I have heard, I'm excited.

Was the 30 second clip from the loft that surfaced a part of either of these songs? You know the clip I'm talking about with the double kick and heavy riff that sounded similar to Metallica's One. I'm asking because I don't think we can make any assumptions to how "mellow" this album is going to be off of two songs, which is maybe a quarter of the new record.
I thought of that clip when I heard the breakdown in Invincible, can't say for sure though would need to hear the clip again.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Apparently a sound engineer has cleaned them up a bit in reddit, not heard them yet but here's the link

Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Bill Hilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:59 am I'm waiting for the album. I've listened to small snippets of both Descending and Invincible. From what I have heard, I'm excited.

Was the 30 second clip from the loft that surfaced a part of either of these songs? You know the clip I'm talking about with the double kick and heavy riff that sounded similar to Metallica's One. I'm asking because I don't think we can make any assumptions to how "mellow" this album is going to be off of two songs, which is maybe a quarter of the new record.
Also I'd say the breakdown part of Invincible sounded as heavy as anything else they've ever done.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Sorry to spam post but if the rest of the tracks are this long as has been previously suggested then we are in for some journies that's for sure. It bothered me at first cos it'd be nice to have something a bit more straightforward too like the pot or something but fuck it. I think I'll get more mileage out of it in the long run and thinking back I had to wait for a lot of their music to grow on me so hopefully that'll be the case this time round too.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I really wish they would just announce when the album is releasing it doesn't make any sense to debut TWO new songs and not mention a thing about the new album. Obviously we all know it is not coming any time soon (July/August likely) but they do know and I am not sure what the point is of not announcing the date.

As for people saying this is lighter I agree with Billy no sure if we were listening to the same songs. Descending is over 11 mins and Invincible over 12 and they start slowly and get progressively heavier. Maybe Maynard's vocal style is making the songs feel lighter to some of you I don't know, and obviously this is all subjective, but for me both songs, by Tool standards, are very heavy. Invincible is some of the heaviest shit they have done since Undertow.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

M0G wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:33 pm I really wish they would just announce when the album is releasing it doesn't make any sense to debut TWO new songs and not mention a thing about the new album. Obviously we all know it is not coming any time soon (July/August likely) but they do know and I am not sure what the point is of not announcing the date.

As for people saying this is lighter I agree with Billy no sure if we were listening to the same songs. Descending is over 11 mins and Invincible over 12 and they start slowly and get progressively heavier. Maybe Maynard's vocal style is making the songs feel lighter to some of you I don't know, and obviously this is all subjective, but for me both songs, by Tool standards, are very heavy. Invincible is some of the heaviest shit they have done since Undertow.
It could also be because they are so long, the lighter parts seem to take up more room so the overall song feels lighter, even though the heavy parts are as heavy as tool can be.

I also can't fathom why they don't tell us when its coming out. I get the whole thing about them wanting to debut live but if that were me and I'd just created a masterpiece I'd be gagging to give it to the fans.
DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea

Post by DeadGuyAle »

Hmmm...to chance it or not.

By Artist Management Request: There is a strict No Photo and No Video policy for this show. Cameras and video/audio recorders, including cell phones are prohibited. Violation of this policy will result in confiscation of photos/videos and ejection from the building.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I am fucking salivating to hear the studio versions of both of these. "Invincible" especially. You can hear that there's a lot of intricacy in Adam's parts (and of course Justin's as well) that just isn't carrying over at all in these shitty youtube videos. Especially in that heavy part at the end.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

DeadGuyAle wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:43 pm Hmmm...to chance it or not.

By Artist Management Request: There is a strict No Photo and No Video policy for this show. Cameras and video/audio recorders, including cell phones are prohibited. Violation of this policy will result in confiscation of photos/videos and ejection from the building.
Honestly if they kicked anyone out at this point in 2019 it would be fucking stupid. All this hype that got generate by the instagram streams and youtube vids this is free PR for the band. They gotta know people are starving for a new Tool album and are going to buy it probably in multiple formats and likely multiple copies. Unless it is a channel or source that gets completely out of hand they should just relax and run with it and let the hype build.
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

its a strange thing with me, as i have some very very good memories looking at youtube videos about parties or concerts i could not attend to, i literally go mad at anger about people using cell phones either in a party (house, psytrance whatever) or in a live concert.
it's just makes me anger so deep, like in my guts, like get the fuck out of here you fucking tourist kinda way

its so hard to look at the fact that these babies are out there though... its fucking hard not to listen to it...
but i wait until Prague and Wien, its a dope shit to experience something live for the first time
i just take some acid and dance and punch some camera guy in the face and enjoy his recording later... ah cool

many people say its lateralus vibe but in a good way.... god fucking damn... its like 13 years of waiting with so many twists and turns and it STILL has some fucking moves to make me even more hyped and anxious... unfuckinbeleivable
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Tool_User wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:37 pm
M0G wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:33 pm I really wish they would just announce when the album is releasing it doesn't make any sense to debut TWO new songs and not mention a thing about the new album. Obviously we all know it is not coming any time soon (July/August likely) but they do know and I am not sure what the point is of not announcing the date.

It could also be because they are so long, the lighter parts seem to take up more room so the overall song feels lighter, even though the heavy parts are as heavy as tool can be.

I also can't fathom why they don't tell us when its coming out. I get the whole thing about them wanting to debut live but if that were me and I'd just created a masterpiece I'd be gagging to give it to the fans.
To be fair you and I, if in that position, would be thinking about the fans. Let's not fool ourselves Tool didn't do that last night for the fans, they did it because they wanted to play new material. It wasn't for the fans, it was for them. They need to get practice with the new songs for upcoming shows and tours and this is the perfect small run of shows to do that for the bigger tours coming later in the year. The Festival was the perfect place to do it because minor mistakes are not going to be magnified like they would be in an Arena.

If Tool were thinking about the fans, they would just announce the album release date and let the preorder flood begin. Now I am not going to be negative because honestly the cynic in me wondered if I would ever get to hear new Tool again. Obviously the logical part of my brain said yes of course the album is coming this year, but with everything I been thru this year health wise, I have learned not to take anything for granted. So for me last night was kind of finally it's done. If all I ever got to hear is those youtube vids of Descending and Invincible at least I finally got to hear it.

I know it is a bad analogy but I am a sports nut and Tiger Woods is one of my all time favorite athletes and I never thought he would win another major again and seeing him with the Masters for the 5th time last month was remarkable. I got that same feeling last night. I at least have heard new Tool. I of course want to hear the album versions and the entire album but after 13 years just getting to actually hear the new songs brought a weird sort of closure with the entire new album situation.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

How the hell did Tiger not get choked up when he won that? I was frigging crying, why couldnt he??!?!
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:02 am
lachrymologist wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 am So.... should I go ahead and listen to a shitty YouTube recording or just wait till Wednesday?!?! What's the consensus?
Man, if you're attending a show I'd wait. I crumbled though, and holy shit, these songs are so fucking good!! Best video of Descending so far...

Ty Joey

@ToolArchive - Big thank you
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Bill Hilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:05 pm How the hell did Tiger not get choked up when he won that? I was frigging crying, why couldnt he??!?!
For reals man I had tears running down my face and when hugged his son I remembered 1997 with his Dad and it was just insane. Four back surgeries, the last a SPINAL FUSION...and the man wins his 15th major. One of the greatest things I have seen in sport.

And the PGA is at Bethpage where he won the US Open in 2002 and the US Open is at Pebble where he won in 2000 by 15 shots..I don't think he is done this year
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

As far as seeming "lighter", I think it's purely down to the quality of the recordings. There's no depth to the sound, nor separation or clarity in the instruments. These recordings are literally missing half [or more] of the sound, gives a false impression of how heavy they are.

Very much looking forward to hearing the album versions, with the full depth and tone Tool have.

I think they should just release Descending officially, use the live visuals for a video. That pyramid against the red stormy sky really sets a vibe.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

M0G wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:08 pm
joeypants wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:02 am
lachrymologist wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 am So.... should I go ahead and listen to a shitty YouTube recording or just wait till Wednesday?!?! What's the consensus?
Man, if you're attending a show I'd wait. I crumbled though, and holy shit, these songs are so fucking good!! Best video of Descending so far...

Ty Joey

@ToolArchive - Big thank you
Hoping ToolArchive is doing the same with Invincible right now. Fuck... such an amazing song!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Mystery has always been Tool's schtick. It's a part of their marketing strategy. It worked naturally for them when they weren't famous, but as they got more recognition and recognizable, they've had to sustain the mystery in other ways. The radio silence on details for this album is them maintaining that in one of the only ways they are able to now, especially in the social media era.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

That Toolarchive vid in the description...says earliest new album release August or September...we might be into September now

@Toolarchive - Updated info from source?
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Moridin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:14 pm
As far as seeming "lighter", I think it's purely down to the quality of the recordings. There's no depth to the sound, nor separation or clarity in the instruments. These recordings are literally missing half [or more] of the sound, gives a false impression of how heavy they are.
Exactly this. All I could hear in the recordings was Bam Bam Carey and Adam...and it still sounded freaking awesome! If there's better recordings out there, I don't even want to hear them at this point. I got what I needed out of it, and now I will slowly torture myself until who knows when.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Bill Hilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:25 pm
Moridin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:14 pm
Exactly this. All I could hear in the recordings was Bam Bam Carey and Adam...and it still sounded freaking awesome! If there's better recordings out there, I don't even want to hear them at this point. I got what I needed out of it, and now I will slowly torture myself until who knows when.
Listen to the TA vid much better. Feel for you on the slow torture I will listen to these songs as long as they stay up. If TA has new info and we might be looking at September...yeah i am not waiting for that. I will certainly purchase it the second it becomes available for pre-order but for the foreseeable future these marginal recordings will be on heavy rotation.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Any other band (other than Radiohead), I'd be listening non stop to these uploads. Tool still holds a special place in my heart. I want the whole album to be fresh when I hear it. I mean, I installed a new stereo in my truck because of this new album.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Some good objective chat going on in here I like it, good place to be right now.

Mog sorry to hear you had health issues and I genuinely hope your good now. I've had this with family members and it's great for changing your view on life, but in a good way eh! Glad you got your tool closure too 👍

I'm gonna have to take back some of my more negative comments about the new music cause I've just had a spliff and Invincible is really doing it for me now. The more I listen the less I give a fuck how long it is, it works its new Tool and it fucking rocks in a very straight forward twat you repeatedly round the head with a lump hammer kind of way.

I'll probably be able to hear their old work in most tracks on the album in some form or other but all bands have their sound and things that work for them, doesn't mean they aren't being original. They still need to stop being clever cunts and tell us when it's out tho they owe us that.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Bill Hilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm Any other band (other than Radiohead), I'd be listening non stop to these uploads. Tool still holds a special place in my heart. I want the whole album to be fresh when I hear it. I mean, I installed a new stereo in my truck because of this new album.
I like your dedication.