Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Bill Hilly »

That's what I was worried about. Post nut syndrome is real.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

bob wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:37 pm f! i didnt notice the grudge thing until i read your comments. it kinda does. i liked it enough before and still do but i see what your saying. they def have there Metallica moment in Invicible. everyone cheers at that part too. u prob know what part i mean. im fine with that anyway.
Yeah I mentioned it after my first listen on Monday night. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. It's vicarious/ schism all over again and no one is picking up on it :lol:
Listen to All Them Witches
DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea

Post by DeadGuyAle »

Takeo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:44 pm Same set list as last night? Setlist.fm updated early and looked like a copy/paste job. Any intel?
We all sang happy birthday to Danny. :D

The drum solo was Danny playing with that synth thing that he talked about awhile ago and then drumming to it.

It looked like they were going to play something else and then decided on Intolerance.

Maynard sounded awesome! And when Adam broke a string during schism and the guitar tech came with a new one, Maynard made a mock wiping of his brow like “whew! Just in time!” Ha
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

lukas wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:38 am
limeygringo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 pm I might have been right, I'm putting my money on MMXIX as the album title.
while I hope you are wrong, it's actually possible that this will be the official title. kinda lame imho. do you think there'll be a song called MMXIX then?
Nah, unless they have a song about Cardi B and Trump robbing a McDonalds or something
tys0n wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:57 pm Just realised I've probably heard 1/3 of the album now :(
We'll live, though I really hope they don't play anymore new stuff live until September, but on the other hand our Euro-peeps deserve better. They've waited too long.

And everyone complaining about song similarities must've forgotten how similar Hush and Opiate are. It's Tool, let them be Tool.

And Sweat really sounds like it could've been on Lateralus, and I love that about both that song and that album. Sweat set a goal, Lateralus they reached it, and the new stuff they're just flowing in it all in a new way.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:10 pm
Yeah I mentioned it after my first listen on Monday night. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. It's vicarious/ schism all over again and no one is picking up on it :lol:
2016 post:
Bill Hilly wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:50 pm It's bland because it sounds like more rehashed Tool. Me personally, I first listened to this jam over the internet when they started introducing it, and then live in person. My opinion hasn't changed. It sounds like several older Tool songs and it's not interesting to me at all.
I'm still excited to hear the finished product though.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Thank you for snagging these. They sound great!
Ahhh, Infotainment!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I don’t get the complaint about hearing things that sound like they were in previous songs. Every single band on the planet you are going to hear little pieces, chord progressions, tunings etc etc that sound similar. Bottom line Descending and Invincible are expertly crafted and do not sound like anything they have done previously. The sound like they belong on an album together and it seems clear this album isn’t going to have any difficulty in terms of having a unique identity. Descending yeah at first I thought it could fit on Lateralus but the more I listen to it no way would it work on Lateralus it is too different structurally and thematically from anything on that album.

Bottom line Descending and Invincible do not sound like they would work on any previous album and that is what you hope for in a new album. They are exploring new musical ideas and are not rehashing anything old.

And fuck me I am taking up for Tool what has happened to me someone please hit me with a hammer. Two superb new songs and 13 years has been forgotten? I need to complain a bit about the album not being available for preorder yet to balance out this positivity I am feeling dirty.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

That's actually one of the biggest complaints from 10,000 Days though, and also why we all love Aenima and Lateralus as much as we do - for how unique those records were.

I still love 10,000 Days, but there are songs on that record that sound like songs from previous albums. That's not the case for Aenima or Lateralus.

Either way, I shouldn't be talking shit when I haven't even listened to the completed version of Descending yet.
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

Seeing as release day is 30/08 I caved and took a listen to the new tracks (an excellent cleaned up version I found on reddit).

Invincible - this is a very solid track. So far I have gone back and listened to this way more than Descending. There are some riffs that made me think - is this from third eye? Is this from Rosetta stoned? Etc etc, but on the whole it sounds unique and most certainly an evolution of Tool. Vocals are as good as I can hope now from Maynard, and I’m glad he still knows how to make them sound like “Tool” after 13 years of Puscifer and APC. 8/10.

Descending - I’ve got some reservations about this one. It’s too soon to judge properly because as others have pointed out, I think they messed up the ending. It just sounded out of sync, to the point where I didn’t even enjoy DC’s gong hit. The lack of vocals was also disappointing in the final half, and I hope MJ goes all out on the CD version with some intense effects +/- a scream. The bit that also sounds exactly like the grudge sticks out like a sore thumb to me, but maybe that’s just my brain latching on to any familiarities from the music I’ve listened to thousands of times in the last 15 years. 6/10 but could be a 9/10 on CD - fingers crossed!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:06 am That's actually one of the biggest complaints from 10,000 Days though, and also why we all love Aenima and Lateralus as much as we do - for how unique those records were.

I still love 10,000 Days, but there are songs on that record that sound like songs from previous albums. That's not the case for Aenima or Lateralus.

Either way, I shouldn't be talking shit when I haven't even listened to the completed version of Descending yet.
Dunno never thought anything off 10,000 Days sounded like anything from previous albums. Even Vicarious I never thought it sounded much like Schism which I know some did. Like I said every band every album you are gonna hear things that remind you of other songs done previously it is just natural.

For me it is about cohesion, quality and identity. Descending and Invincible are super complex and really tight and they sound like they belong together on the same album. I hope the same can be said for the other songs on the album. If I was a betting man I would wager it is going to be just fine considering they have spent SO many goddamn years writing this fucking album.

Maynard honestly was my biggest worry and he sounds solid and lyrics seem fine. In fact he is doing what I hoped and kind of stepping back and when he does come in it works. He mentioned before how difficult it was to write vocals and harmonies for 10,000 Days with the way the songs were constructed. Seems like the other three have taken that into consideration because they have left him spaces to work in that sound natural. Rather than Maynard trying to fit his vocals into the music. His vocals on Invincible work and him staying out of the second half of Descending works.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Wow great quality on those! Why were they deleted from reddit though? Is the dropbox link here the best one ?
* Ops nevermind :D
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

M0G wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:50 am
Maynard honestly was my biggest worry and he sounds solid and lyrics seem fine. In fact he is doing what I hoped and kind of stepping back and when he does come in it works. He mentioned before how difficult it was to write vocals and harmonies for 10,000 Days with the way the songs were constructed. Seems like the other three have taken that into consideration because they have left him spaces to work in that sound natural. Rather than Maynard trying to fit his vocals into the music. His vocals on Invincible work and him staying out of the second half of Descending works.

I'm really getting excited after reading everyone's write-ups on these new songs.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Something else that came to mind is that I think Tool fans who are super into Maynard may end up being slightly disappointed. I don’t think there will be any issue with his performance. I feel like, based off the two songs we have heard so far, that Maynard is taking a step back and letting this really be a showcase for the music. The other three have worked on it for so long and they did so this time making sure to leave room for Maynard to work and make sure he didn’t get drowned out. I think he is taking a more complimentary approach. Let the music shine and enhance it where he thinks vocals and harmonies will work best. Obviously this is all conjecture and until we hear the rest of the songs we won’t know for sure.

Again if I had to wager I think this will be their most instrumental album and for me that is exactly what I want. From the rumors that already have come out all the vocals on this album are clean no screaming. All points to Maynard taking a more subtle approach.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Holy fucking Invincible!!! Caved and listened to this . The audio is incredible on that version and man now that sounds like nothing theyve ever done to me! Both songs have me amped as for this album. Is it Aenima or Lateralus? To me no they're not but those albums are 20+ years old and I don't want them to try be those albums.

I want them to give an honest performance of where they are at individually and musically and to that point I feel they have nailed it.

Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Won't listen to the new tracks until I see them live now, then again once the album gets out. If I can manage, that is :D
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I really dig both of the tracks - and despite my intentions to not listen again until they are released, I keen coming back to them. They tick many boxes for me, and I have no doubt when I hear the recorded versions, I'll listening to them on repeat for quite some time.

That said, I can't quite shake the feeling that Maynard's vocals are a little underdone here. The style of his singing, and the lyrics aren't an issue. It's more the way it's been applied to the music. One 10,000 Days there was plenty of story telling happening, on some complex music that I know must have taken some time to work out (Wings and Rosetta Stoned in particular). In both Descending and Invincible, the vocals stand out quite a bit to me as having just been added to an existing instrumental, rather than woven into the track. I'm hoping that by the time the album comes out this will turn out the be a massive overreaction for now, but I'd hate to think after 13 years, they rushed it a bit at the end just to slam some Maynard vocals over the top of some admittedly cool tracks.

Despite those criticisms, I'm super excited for this album, and any real fears for me that I wouldn't dig it have certainly been allayed for now.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Well put HB, that is my only "gripe" as well. It's still growing on me though so i'll have to digest it later once the album comes out. It's kinda like if they did Parabol but on this album, and MJ just sings the same melody that Adam plays, ish.

I want to add that this "gripe" is the the size of a D in cold water, it's no issue at all more of an observation.
Last edited by Ettan on Thu May 09, 2019 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

@Busty - Feel exactly the same way 100 percent

@Hellboy - I think they left plenty of room for him. As I said above I don’t think he is going to dive into any really deep thematic lyrical concepts. I don’t think it is an issue of rushing it feels like a conscious decision to let the music be the star this time around. I think Maynard has explored enough esoteric themes with Tool. This feels more grounded which makes sense for someone in their mid 50s. It also feels again like it is more about enhancing the music than telling stories.

Again this feels very instrumental the music is telling the story. The vocals and harmonies feel like they are serving the music.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Thank you for those two mastered audio files! They sound fantastic so thanks for putting them together. Wow.

I already really like both songs and cannot really stop listening to them whenever I get the chance. In fact, does anyone remember the friend of the band describing the "deep tissue massage" feel or "pummeling" experience the music gave him when he heard it? Surely he heard Invincible and felt that way.

Those Invincible riffs/sounds must have been hammered into me over the last few days because I found myself at work today humming along the riff that cuts in around the 7:50 mark in that song. Almost felt like my brain was trying to process it on some deep level.

If there are 7 tracks on this album and we've got 2 already, I cannot wait to process or digest the other 5... :)
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Not to play doubles advocate or anything but it's not like Tool haven't had alternate live versions of studio songs before . . .
Canned audience laughter
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

I feel it's best to get the digestion process going as quickly as possible and become familiar with the songs so that by the time the album is out it's already processed so I can just get to enjoying the record to it's full potential immediately. The songs are very dense and there is a lot to digest. I notice different things each time I listen to the tracks and like them more and more. Just imagining what the studio versions will sound like is exciting.

I haven't seen anyone mention the bass line in Descending sounding a lot like Wings. I don't mind stuff like that but it does sound very similar to my ears.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Its*
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

hellboy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 am I really dig both of the tracks - and despite my intentions to not listen again until they are released, I keen coming back to them. They tick many boxes for me, and I have no doubt when I hear the recorded versions, I'll listening to them on repeat for quite some time.

That said, I can't quite shake the feeling that Maynard's vocals are a little underdone here. The style of his singing, and the lyrics aren't an issue. It's more the way it's been applied to the music. One 10,000 Days there was plenty of story telling happening, on some complex music that I know must have taken some time to work out (Wings and Rosetta Stoned in particular). In both Descending and Invincible, the vocals stand out quite a bit to me as having just been added to an existing instrumental, rather than woven into the track. I'm hoping that by the time the album comes out this will turn out the be a massive overreaction for now, but I'd hate to think after 13 years, they rushed it a bit at the end just to slam some Maynard vocals over the top of some admittedly cool tracks.

Despite those criticisms, I'm super excited for this album, and any real fears for me that I wouldn't dig it have certainly been allayed for now.
I was a bit worried Maynard may have rushed his part when he made the statement that he'd already completed his lyrics. Also after listening to these new tracks I totally get where you're coming from. But the more I thought about it the more I came to realise that despite his attempts to claim he doesn't want to be involved in the writing until it's done, I don't believe that he still would not have been getting sent demos and coming up with melodies and harmonies along the way.

I imagine one of the biggest complaints this album will get (apart from people who complain purely coz they expect Lateralus 2.0) is that Maynard has ruined it. But to me I feel , the bloke is 55... He has clearly led a very dense life and faced a lot of demons and conquered them. This to me sounds like Maynard being honest with himself at 55 years of age. He is no longer raging , he is more in despair at the way the world has become and is more focused on harmonies than aggression and I'm fine with that. If I want angry Maynard I can go back to the earlier records..

Tldr. I highly doubt he would have rushed his parts on something so heavily anticipated and I for one believe he has given as great as contribution as he possibly could
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Some of the bass parts in Invincible sound like sober jacked up on a speedball.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:14 am
hellboy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 am I really dig both of the tracks - and despite my intentions to not listen again until they are released, I keen coming back to them. They tick many boxes for me, and I have no doubt when I hear the recorded versions, I'll listening to them on repeat for quite some time.

I was a bit worried Maynard may have rushed his part when he made the statement that he'd already completed his lyrics. Also after listening to these new tracks I totally get where you're coming from. But the more I thought about it the more I came to realise that despite his attempts to claim he doesn't want to be involved in the writing until it's done, I don't believe that he still would not have been getting sent demos and coming up with melodies and harmonies along the way.

I imagine one of the biggest complaints this album will get (apart from people who complain purely coz they expect Lateralus 2.0) is that Maynard has ruined it. But to me I feel , the bloke is 55... He has clearly led a very dense life and faced a lot of demons and conquered them. This to me sounds like Maynard being honest with himself at 55 years of age. He is no longer raging , he is more in despair at the way the world has become and is more focused on harmonies than aggression and I'm fine with that. If I want angry Maynard I can go back to the earlier records..

Tldr. I highly doubt he would have rushed his parts on something so heavily anticipated and I for one believe he has given as great as contribution as he possibly could
I always find vocals come across the worst live too. I'm sure on cd it will fit and sound right.