Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
bob
Toast

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by bob »

Maynard has approached vocals and harmonies on Descending and Invincible I don’t think we are going to hear him doing anything like Ticks and Leeches. Dude sounds great but he is 55 and I highly doubt he could pull off that kind of screaming and aggression again.
ya, im totally ok with him doing less screams and singing that suits him more. if people really wanted more screams he can do it if you like hearing everything threw that effects thing he uses a little too often live these days. so im def down with more regular vocals cause i dont want tool turning into some industrial band with distorted vocals all the time.

True! Danny seems great but he def isnt reliable for news. a lot of people were on that right away when he said ''were hoping for a mid april release'' oh geeze!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Maynard stated that when he recorded Ticks & Leeches he almost blew his throat out, almost ending his career.

So it's a safe bet he hasn't tried that since.
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Justin - "Thanks for being part of Tool Army
oh god! haha. i forgot about those friggin messages that never changed. thankfully there is flashblockers so i was able to keep those away by using plugins. i can still hear it the way it was said when you typed that and you know it! :)

in some weird way i wish i had those clips now just to irritate myself and have a laugh!
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

tys0n wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:02 am Maynard stated that when he recorded Ticks & Leeches he almost blew his throat out, almost ending his career.

So it's a safe bet he hasn't tried that since.
ya, with that song it was more extreme though. he doesnt do the scream in the grudge or the ending to vicarous either. etc etc. i meant more those screams i guess. they did play T and L in 2012 remember. and of course it was vocal distortion the entire time. thats what i mean. he can still do all that if he wanted to but its going to be threw some industiral bands thing-a-ma-jig. thats more live i guess but still.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

It sure is bob, it sure is.
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

piss off! Haha
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

tys0n wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:33 am I'm not a member of ToolArmy but how can you guys be happy with a $50 a year membership for what exactly?

What the FUCK do you get?

It ain't front row tickets.
i dont know when the cut off period was but people that joined a long time ago dont have to pay every year. its pretty sad and wrong they charge annually for newer members for basically nothing. you can visit ''toolband'' and have access to the same things except the TA shirts. (theres only one shitty t shirt,a girls shirt i think? and a half decent zip up hoodie last i knew) then again maybe you can buy those too ? i rarely visit the site anymore. there's no reason to be there really.

i lost my TA jacket but i still have the TOQUE and other stuff. i have the patch on my wallet. it looks pretty cool! i got it stitched on at a shoe repair shop.
KamikazeShaman37
Maynard Believer

Post by KamikazeShaman37 »

Long time listener, first time caller...

Anyone at the Hampton, VA show last night? They brought the heat.

I've got a few pieces of input and observations...

1. There was absolutely no cellphone use in the arena all night (except for the last song when Maynard gave the OK... he literally told security to "stand down"). They would throw you out if you even looked like you were gonna pull out a smartphone. It was refreshing to see a concert where the audience respected the bands wishes and not a single person was watching the show through their little 16:9 battery powered vignette

2. Maynard didn't have any riot gear on like the other shows. In fact, he was dressed kind of like the plumper devil chick from the puscifer artwork. Dude was rocking tight leopard print spandex and high heels with a mohawk up top. And he was on point all night.

3. It was Danny's birthday, so we all sang happy birthday to him. I'm not sure if it was the amazingly clean psychedelics, but I swear he had the incredible bronze drumtree kit onstage. Super shiny, but again - it could have been artificial sheen I was seeing. Can anyone confirm if he's been playing that kit at any of the other shows?

4. Not to give any spoilers here, but no one has mentioned how he does that great build up in Descending before the gong hits and slows everything down. I watched him build loop after loop in the moments building up to that - drums were muted in the PA and he just kept playing and playing this really fast stuff but you could not hear it. He was pretty much just layering track after track on top of each other and then triggered it all live so it sounds like there are 10 Danny's delivering that mega crescendo before the gong. Anyone else notice that at the other shows? It was perfection and I couldn't believe that I have not seen any one remark on how he's pulling that off live.

5. I feel like the show last night was a balls to the wall "proto-run" or quite simply a dress rehearsal of what their tour is gonna be like after the album drops. His synth/drum solo after the break was my favorite part and it got to some really interesting places - it's like Merkaba 2.0 or something.

I could keep pontificating because I'm still feeling the vibe, but I'll just leave it there for now.

Have not seen them for over 10 years. They sound better than ever and have actually reached a higher level than I could have ever imagined. Next level is here and now.

One last thing - Cheers to Hellboy for keeping this site alive during the drought and for putting up with all of us. I've been following this site for a long long time and it's a great community of folks on the web.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Honestly, who wants another Ticks and Leaches? That song doesn't even really fit on Lateralus. It's the only reason I give that album a 9.5 instead of a 10. Great song, but it doesn't fit with the flow and theme of the album at all. Parabol/a into Lateralus would have been a 10 for me.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

I think the new songs are awesome and everyone on this forum has been really positive about them but on other music websites where they posted the videos and on youtube a a lot of fans are bitching and moaning , which is pretty stupid since a song can’t be judged by a crappy cellphone video of a song played live for the first time.
I forgot my pen
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Interesting. My experience is that people outside the Tool fanbase have been mostly positive, but some of you are saying there's a decent amount of negativity. There's a lot of factors to consider, and it's still too early to make any judgement. I'm just trying to lightly gauge what the reception to the album will be. Based off the two songs, I think it could be top tier quality, but I guess time will tell how the rest of the world responds. I'm hoping they wow everyone like they did with Aenima and Lateralus, just to further cement them as gods of rock.

Why do I care what other people think? Validation, of course.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@kamikaze - welcome and great observation on Danny’s new bag of tricks. Looking forward to seeing it in person. I’m jealous of those seeing these shows. They are special.

@danny - I’m not surprised. Time will tell.
Ki77aan :twisted:
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Danny wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:31 am I think the new songs are awesome and everyone on this forum has been really positive about them but on other music websites where they posted the videos and on youtube a a lot of fans are bitching and moaning , which is pretty stupid since a song can’t be judged by a crappy cellphone video of a song played live for the first time.
Too many fools be expecting Opiate 2.0..still.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Danny wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:31 am I think the new songs are awesome and everyone on this forum has been really positive about them but on other music websites where they posted the videos and on youtube a a lot of fans are bitching and moaning , which is pretty stupid since a song can’t be judged by a crappy cellphone video of a song played live for the first time.
Not sure what YouTube vids you are looking at but the ToolArchive Descending vid has over a million views with like 27k likes and only 660 dislikes. That is an insanely positive reaction. Invincible is up to almost 700,000 views with 16k likes and less than 400 dislikes. Media outlet responses I have read are super positive. I would also wager some of those dislikes are coming from general vid quality. Not sure what other forums you frequent but like I said the reception I am seeing is Lateralus level positive. Way more positive than 10,000 Days.
The most intelligent person on this forum
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

other music websites
I'm too old for this shit, 4eye is the chosen one, and has always been.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

ziggy23 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:04 pm
other music websites
I'm too old for this shit, 4eye is the chosen one, and has always been.
Exactly, i’ve been a FourthEye reader for years and i love how the fans interact here.
Not liking stuff and negative comments have become a trend on the internet. I always preferred the albums that grew on me over time, i love the new songs and i think this album will top the last because Tool have never disappointed me.
I hope we get some new info like track listing and album title while we’re waiting for August 30th to hit, i hope HellBoy can chime in and let us know if an album title announcement is imminent.
I forgot my pen
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

There’s mixed reactions based on mixed interpretations, mixed experiences, and mixed motivations. Exactly as it was always going to be. Honestly I don’t see the point in judging quality for a band of this magnitude and longevity. I simply listen, digest, and hope for a personal emotive reaction. The idea of giving a Tool album a star rating at this stage seems so futile and obsolete. The band is beyond that and nobody’s opinion means anything except your own. Validation is weak.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Hey man. Let me be a narcissist in peace.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
bhatpat
Maynard Believer

Post by bhatpat »

Been lurking the site since 2013, first big topic I really remember was all the opiate reissue rumors and debate. Great job with the site Hellboy. What do you think of Blair’s mention of Rance Q. Spartley on their Facebook today? Perhaps some pre release shows? Really enjoying the new music
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

gamebounty - I smiled at that. My point was to say...hold the new album close. Let the world do what the world does.

I read a couple of books recently on Cobain and started listening to some bands inspiring his writing. Melvins, Sonic Youth, Black Flag (Beatles but not for this purpose). Anyone recommend some inspiring records for Tool?
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Epicenter was fucking cancelled

Tool left 2 hrs before everyone was told. We all stood there in the rain for over two hrs waiting for news and when we finally heard that the event was cancelled we heard from an event staffer that tool didn’t even wait they just straight booked it.

Been sat in the car waiting to exit the fucking venue for over an hour and haven’t moved an inch.

FML
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Takeo wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:29 pm Anyone recommend some inspiring records for Tool?
King Crimson
rshforgothispw wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:01 pm Epicenter was fucking cancelled

Tool left 2 hrs before everyone was told. We all stood there in the rain for over two hrs waiting for news and when we finally heard that the event was cancelled we heard from an event staffer that tool didn’t even wait they just straight booked it.

Been sat in the car waiting to exit the fucking venue for over an hour and haven’t moved an inch.

FML
Damn dude, condolences
Canned audience laughter
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

That sucks rsh. Sorry man.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

With severe weather coming in, not sure you can really blame the band for bailing as soon as they were told the show wasn't going ahead. That the audience weren't told sooner seems dodgy though, but I've seen photos of Reddit that make it seem like people were told well before Tool would have gone on stage.

rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Not mad at tool at all I completely understand it’s fucking epicenter I’m fuming at. This place is a shit show. Everyone is just parked at a stand still. When we originally evacuated they said 90 min wait. ALL bands would continue. Everyone who we spoke to were there for only tool. Fucking everyone. then when 90 mins passed they said two more hrs. ALL BANDS would play. We waited. Then a cop drove up and said cancelled. As we were walking out some guy had talked to his friend that worked at the event and said tool left as soon as the storm hit. No one told that information to anyone. Epicenter staff kept saying tool were hanging around to play and along with yelawolf. Cell service was down until a few ago so no one saw the Adam Jones post. No one got epicenter tweet updates. some guy said they would play tomorrow. But now it seems they have really booked it and moved on. I feel bad for the guy who drove 12 hrs. Hell, this was my wife and my first outing since we had our little girl. It took us some serious planning to have our three kids watched and it was for naught. Didn’t even get a poster. They wouldn’t let us back in the fucking venue!